Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly hair nets student €3500

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Mingey wrote: »
    Whats the point in having a uniform if people get to dress whichever way they like?

the uniform doesn't mention anything about hair in most schools. i agree with the long haired guy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

This story has money spinner all over it. This was four years ago and there will be more as cash tightens and people start looking for easy pickings.
    The school has a dress code which included hair, it's the whole basis of wearing a uniform! They were happy to have his hair to the collar, that would have left some room for him to express his individuality.
    Easy pickings as I said......
    You'll see the number of injuries from "serious" RTA jump soon.
    Car damage = 100 Euro, Personal Injury = 10,000 euro
    The solicitors will have to make their money from somewhere else also, now that the housing market is in a slump.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What worries me is that someone actually cared enough to make trouble over a hairstyle. Aren't schools about education and not the codification of all aspects of a students life?
    The gob$hites who started this one are the same people who ring the council over peoples fences being over the regulation height.
    With all the $hit let fly these days it's not much to ask people to tolerate petty differences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I remember when I was in school i was told the exact same thing. And it really wasnt that long at all, it didnt even reach my shoulders!

On top of it all, a goatee wasnt considered 'part of the school uniform'. Well to me, frankly, is pretty obvious, but I was told to shave it off anyway, and i didnt. The head started ringing my parents and handing me notices, but i never did get it shaven. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Cianos wrote: »
    First time I've really wanted a 'thumbs down' button on Boards

You could give me the 'thumbs up' and then quickly take it away :)

Just to clarify my point - the school acted like dicks in this instance, and yer man deserved something for their incompetance.

I just don't get why people rally against institutional rules. The rules are set in stone, they may be stupidass rules but they are the rules of the institution. You don't want to abide by the rules - move on.

Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

just heard his mother on the radio. came across as a snob with no respect for the schools wishes.

And the school had no respect for her or her sons, so....

connundrum wrote: »
    You could give me the 'thumbs up' and then quickly take it away :)

Just to clarify my point - the school acted like dicks in this instance, and yer man deserved something for their incompetance.

I just don't get why people rally against institutional rules. The rules are set in stone, they may be stupidass rules but they are the rules of the institution. You don't want to abide by the rules - move on.

Easy.

Because sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and say "No. I disagree."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I remember when I was in school i was told the exact same thing. And it really wasnt that long at all, it didnt even reach my shoulders!

On top of it all, a goatee wasnt considered 'part of the school uniform'. Well to me, frankly, is pretty obvious, but I was told to shave it off anyway, and i didnt. The head started ringing my parents and handing me notices, but i never did get it shaven. :o

I had the same but it was because I wore black Converse, I refused to wear anything else because they were comfortable and I was smart enough to be allowed to be a bollix. When they told me to wear sensible shoes I would say the rules simply say Black shoe's and No Runners so unless you want me to tell the lads that Cons and Vans are OK, I would drop it......Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Converse are sports shoes though, so that's a stupid argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Easy.

No. They're stupidass rules that shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

If one set of students are allowed to grow their hair long then all the students should be allowed to grow their hair long, it's as simple as that.

Similar thing happened in my old school, young lads a few years below us started putting red highlights in their hair to look "cool" which was something the girls had been doing for a while... school told the lads to stop, a few didn't and threatened they'd bring it to Department of Education because it was discrimination and the school decided to ban all students from having highlights. Not the same outcome as above because the school had some degree of cop on, but still equally fair.

In this case to single out males and say that long hair is not allowed is ridiculous, it's the school setting standards for each gender, which is moronic in this day and age. You'd swear it was the 60's and long hair was this new shocking fad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I ****ing hate Catholic Boy's schools, they are like micro communist environments in that they stifle individualism to such an extent. Good on yer man with the long hair for not giving in, he won a victory for liberty, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Secondary Schools are notorious havens for disaffected, dull, maladjusted, immature adults who got a pass arts degree and were subsequently not sufficiently intelligent, skilled, talented or useful enough to gain employment in any other role whatsoever.

- To willingly allow them absolute authority over our children on their petty little w@nker terms is comparable to allowing a drunk Chimp to babysit an infant.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Exactly. If it were a girls school would they act the same way with a girl who had a short hair cut? If they told her she was trying to be a boy the country would come to a halt.

They do in my school. I know two girls who were told to grow their hair because they looked like boys. And guys' hair can't touch their collars. I think the rules about length are stupid; as long as your hair is neat it shouldn't matter what length it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0217/1224241280174.html

I know that there have been a few cases like this over the years and I always come back to the point - if its a rule, don't break it.

I don't particularly like wearing a tie in work, but I do. I didn't particularly want to remove my ear and tongue ring for work, but I did. Because I wanted to work in this company, I conformed to their dress code.

You wanna go to school, cut your Goddamn girly hair!

End.
    There's a difference though in that education is a right whiule working in a particular company is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

****ing hell can I get some of that I was sent home from school for having hair down to my jaw line ala kurt cobain.

......except you have a jawline.........unlike Kurt Cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. As long as you have manners and are eager to learn whether you have hair down to your ass or closely cropped is irrevelant.
    The implication in some schools seems to be if you have long hair you go around beating your chest and like to pull girls by the hair back to your cave. If your hair is too short you are a thug who likes to go around beating people up.
    I could understand the school's position if a student worked in a school canteen, but even then they could provide you with a hair net.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I know that there have been a few cases like this over the years and I always come back to the point - if its a rule, don't break it.
    The school in question didn't have any written rules regarding length of hair.

Dum-dum principal handled the situtation badly, costing taxpayer €3,500 plus the cost of hiring the 'consultant' barber.

Give my regards to Jim Henson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Valmont wrote: »
    I ****ing hate Catholic Boy's schools,

So about 90 or 95% of all boys' schools then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Heroditas wrote: »
    So about 90 or 95% of all boys' schools then?

Excellent observation. I was in a Catholic boy's school for 4 years and then switched to a non-denominational, wear-your-own-clothes, mixed school and it made me realise how antiquated and ridiculous the whole boy's school thing really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

The whole "do you want to be a girl?" accusation seems to be the worst part of it. Strikes me as homophobic/sexist. If girls can have long hair in (from what I assume) every school in the country, surely boys can too.

On the other hand, a male friend of mine was told to stop wearing an earring in school a few years back. When he protested: "but girls are allowed!" the principal banned everyone from wearing them and he was shunned by the girls for a fair while. Guess sometimes you can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If hair cuts make a blind bit of difference to your behavior, how come every scumbag has a nice neat short back and sides?

Take that board of management!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

The school handled it very badly. I'm quite surprised that long hair on a lad would be that big a deal anymore considering how often it swings back into fashion.

The thing about schools is, they are perfectly entitles to have uniforms and dress codes. I imagine the majority do. Yes a lot of the rules are stupid, but when you enroll in the school you accept those rules. If you don't like them, go somewhere else. I don't have a problem with rules like this in schools, it just annoys me when they aren't equally applied to everyone.

My school were particularly fiendish when I got my eyebrow pierced. I pointed out that there was nothing in the rules about it so they printed up a new rulebook and distributed copies to the entire school at a special assembly. My mother was called in and she pointed out that the rule book said no dyed hair or make up and yet practically every girl had both. I fought the power for another month and wore that piercing with pride- then the bloody thing fell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Bambi wrote: »
    If hair cuts make a blind bit of difference to your behavior, how come every scumbag has a nice neat short back and sides?

Take that board of management!

Agree. I am more inclined to feel less intimidated approaching a gang of youdths with long hair rather then short hair. Then there are the completely shaven variety...

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    There shouldnt be uniforms to begin with,they add more to problem then solution

What sort of problems & solutions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Mingey wrote: »
    What sort of problems & solutions?

Well, uniforms cost a fortune for a start. Parents have to buy the bloody **** things at the start of each school year and there's no benefit in them at all. Let the kids wear what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Firstly, goes without saying, it's a dumb rule.

Secondly, the school appear to have handled it very badly. Calling it a girls hair cut and then landing the barber in. What the hell was the barber doing...? Is he some kind of an expert on what the definition of what short hair is ?

However, I think the person that was most wrong here was the mother. The young fella was in his leaving cert year. It was flagged as soon as he went back in september that this was an issue. His mother should have told him, cut his hair, do his exams and then he has the rest of his life, to do whatever he wants with it. I'm all for fightin' the power, but you have to get your priorities right and pick your battles. In this instance, the young fellas leaving cert should have been the priority.

I had long hair myself from the age of 13 untill I was about 22. I was lucky in that the school that I went to was fairly relaxed with things like that. I'm not sure what the actual rule was, but if you were doing your work and not causing trouble, they were prepared to let a few things slide. My aul' lad would only have loved the school to ring up and tell me to cut it. He would have had me down the barbers and strapped to the chair before I knew what was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Wagon wrote: »
    Well, uniforms cost a fortune for a start. Parents have to buy the bloody **** things at the start of each school year and there's no benefit in them at all. Let the kids wear what they want.
    Bull. Any parent would tell you, uniforms are a freggin' great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

No. They're stupidass rules that shouldn't be there in the first place.

No. They're stupidass rules belonging to an institution and if you don't agree with them - you shouldn't be there in the first place.
    The school in question didn't have any written rules regarding length of hair.

Dum-dum principal handled the situtation badly, costing taxpayer €3,500 plus the cost of hiring the 'consultant' barber.

Point taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0217/1224241280174.html

I don't particularly like wearing a tie in work, but I do. I didn't particularly want to remove my ear and tongue ring for work, but I did. Because I wanted to work in this company, I conformed to their dress code.

You wanna go to school, cut your Goddamn girly hair!

End.
    Dident think they still banned people for stuff like this.

• Advertisement

Keeping up to date with fashion costs way more if you are a teenager trying to fit in.

Advertisement