Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

Currently baking some more Blaas. :p

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Memories are playing tricks here O'Donoghue's Arundal Lane was arcoss from Wallace's remember The bear and Biite was Blackfriers.
    Mc, the Beer and Bite was in Arundal Lane. Black Friars, which everybody said was haunted in the 70's (News and Star and The Munster Express covered it) led to the Quay. Jaysus, I got barred outta the place.

Sri siggy wrote: »
    The beefy king and mo's as it was known after that. Now abbra kabbabra.
    The Beefy is the first place I heard "Convoy" by C.W. McCall.

http://youtu.be/j3VN54M1OXA

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

doctordon wrote: »
    Did you know that he is the only (known) publican to have thrown Guinness's out! I kid you not - he fcuked Guinness's out!!!! Resaon? Very simple - while T&H's etc., were selling pints of Guinness for about ₤2.30, Tom was selling it for ₤1.10. Soooo, the Guinness rep, getting a lot of grief from the local publicans, decided to take action and confront Mr. Haher. "Mr. Maher", says he, "Would you mind putting your price up by, maybe, 10 or 20p"?". I will not put the price up", says Tom. "I'll tell you what I will do, though - I will allow you behind this bar, and allow you to remove your kegs and taps!". Can you IMAGINE that poor idiot going back to his Sales Manager, trying to explain how he had actually LOST an account? Unheard of - but Tom did it. If you want anymore stories about Tom's (all true) please ask.

Really enjoying this thread, great memories but this one jars a bit.

I was that idiot:D, Guinness rep in Waterford city from 91 for about 5/6 years.
    Unless he threw us out more than once, perhaps before my time, as I remember he de-stocked Guinness stout due to a problem with deliveries.
    We had to deliver O'Connell st. very early so as to get the large articulated delivery truck into the street. The noise from the metal kegs was disturbing him or his neighbours and he had complained several times. So he called me in one morning and said, "Now Mr Guinness, I have a solution to our little problem, ye can take out yer tap out and shure I wont be bothering you and you won't be bothering me and we'll all be happy"!
    Decision made, job done, no changing his mind.
    As a point of interest he was far from the only one to de-stock Guinness stout, it was more common than you might imagine, sure didn't MacAlpines take out all Guinness products for a different reason some years previously.
    On another note during my 20 years with Guinness/Diageo we never dictated on price. If Mr Maher chose to give it away then so be it so long as he paid for his stock, and served it in good condition, it wasn't our business to tell him what to charge for it.

Hifive wrote: »
    Really enjoying this thread, great memories but this one jars a bit.

I was that idiot:D, Guinness rep in Waterford city from 91 for about 5/6 years.
    Unless he threw us out more than once, perhaps before my time, as I remember he de-stocked Guinness stout due to a problem with deliveries.
    We had to deliver O'Connell st. very early so as to get the large articulated delivery truck into the street. The noise from the metal kegs was disturbing him or his neighbours and he had complained several times. So he called me in one morning and said, "Now Mr Guinness, I have a solution to our little problem, ye can take out yer tap out and shure I wont be bothering you and you won't be bothering me and we'll all be happy"!
    Decision made, job done, no changing his mind.
    As a point of interest he was far from the only one to de-stock Guinness stout, it was more common than you might imagine, sure didn't MacAlpines take out all Guinness products for a different reason some years previously.
    On another note during my 20 years with Guinness/Diageo we never dictated on price. If Mr Maher chose to give it away then so be it so long as he paid for his stock, and served it in good condition, it wasn't our business to tell him what to charge for it.
    Please accept my ajolopies! Honestly! That was the story I heard and had no reason to doubt it. I also heard that Tom used to bottle his own Guinness (with a cork), as did Madigans on the Manor, but, Guinness's took the right from him. This made this peace loving man mad as hell. Again, another "story". Did you ever have a pint there? If so - did you get a "New" or "Old" glass? Were you trusted enough to be served with an "Old" glass? I'm not trying to be smart. I am just trying to find out - did you know Tom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Mc, the Beer and Bite was in Arundal Lane. Black Friars, which everybody said was haunted in the 70's (News and Star and The Munster Express covered it) led to the Quay. Jaysus, I got barred outta the place.

Honestly The Beer and Bite was Johnny Alwards on the corner of Blackfriar's and Arundal square next door to Wall's who used to sell those lovely cream buns.Greyfriar's goes from Cathedral square to the Quay. Wallace's bar now known as the Gingerman is still basically the same after all these years was across the lane from O'Donoghue's bicycle shop. I love to have a pint in the Gingerman when I'm down in Waterford and the wife is driving of course. The jacks is still the same as the seventies so when I'm taking a piss I go in to dreamland and think back of all the friends and the crac we used to have. Sad to say I have lost some of those friends some who died quite young so I guess it makes those memories all the sweeter

Honestly The Beer and Bite was Johnny Alwards on the corner of Blackfriar's and Arundal square next door to Wall's who used to sell those lovely cream buns.Greyfriar's goes from Cathedral square to the Quay. Wallace's bar now known as the Gingerman is still basically the same after all these years was across the lane from O'Donoghue's bicycle shop. I love to have a pint in the Gingerman when I'm down in Waterford and the wife is driving of course. The jacks is still the same as the seventies so when I'm taking a piss I go in to dreamland and think back of all the friends and the crac we used to have. Sad to say I have lost some of those friends some who died quite young so I guess it makes those memories all the sweeter
    Mc, I don't want to contradict you. The Beer and Bite - from which my girlfriend and I got barred - was in Arundel lane as far as I can recall. I will not go into details as to why we got barred, but it has "stuck in my mind". This is why I can remember it so vividly. I used to get the Country Butter from Walls. My mate, Willie Power lived in Walls.

Ok........here we go. From mixing the dough to baking.

SAM_1690_640x480.jpgAttachment not found.Attachment not found.SAM_1699_640x480.jpg

Jaysus! Am I that senile? I have absolutely no idea of how to attach a simple photo to a post!

Jaysus! Am I that senile? I have absolutely no idea of how to attach a simple photo to a post!

They look gorgeous your becoming a dab hand at baking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Please accept my ajolopies! Honestly! That was the story I heard and had no reason to doubt it. I also heard that Tom used to bottle his own Guinness (with a cork), as did Madigans on the Manor, but, Guinness's took the right from him. This made this peace loving man mad as hell. Again, another "story". Did you ever have a pint there? If so - did you get a "New" or "Old" glass? Were you trusted enough to be served with an "Old" glass? I'm not trying to be smart. I am just trying to find out - did you know Tom?

No apologies needed, sure I had a great laugh reading the Tom Maher stuff.
    And as I said your version could well be true but from an earlier time, Mr Maher was in the trade for a looong time!

Years ago (up to the early sixties, I think) most pubs bottled their own Guinness. In fact my late father spent his formative years doing just that in my grandfathers pub in Dublin (Kennedy's in Harcourt street) in the 40's/50's

Before my time, but there was Major opposition to the Guinness brewery taking control of the bottling process in the 60's, as pubs traded on their reputation for producing good stout and very much resented it being taken away from them.

Yes I did have a drink or two in Mahers and you had to mind your p's & q's.
    The biggest issue I ever had with him, (Other than being de-listed!!) was when I was due to go on leave for two weeks and my temporary replacement was a young, and rather attractive girl!
    Himself was not impressed and said that while she wouldn't be allowed into the main lounge, he would, under duress, deal with her in a "professional capacity" inside in the snug!

As a "blow in", I was definetly not part of the "old glass" brigade!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I heard the same tommy maher story from 'carl bowe'? I think, he was the rep for the pub i grew up in. i remember being brought into mahers with my father when he wanted to drop something off and it was just before closing time on a friday, 7 pm! I was told i had to wait by the door as i'm not male!

They look gorgeous your becoming a dab hand at baking
    Cheers Mc. Not bad for a guy, full of beer, at 2 o'clock in the morning! :D

Hifive wrote: »
    No apologies needed, sure I had a great laugh reading the Tom Maher stuff.
    And as I said your version could well be true but from an earlier time, Mr Maher was in the trade for a looong time!

Years ago (up to the early sixties, I think) most pubs bottled their own Guinness. In fact my late father spent his formative years doing just that in my grandfathers pub in Dublin (Kennedy's in Harcourt street) in the 40's/50's

Before my time, but there was Major opposition to the Guinness brewery taking control of the bottling process in the 60's, as pubs traded on their reputation for producing good stout and very much resented it being taken away from them.

Yes I did have a drink or two in Mahers and you had to mind your p's & q's.
    The biggest issue I ever had with him, (Other than being de-listed!!) was when I was due to go on leave for two weeks and my temporary replacement was a young, and rather attractive girl!
    Himself was not impressed and said that while she wouldn't be allowed into the main lounge, he would, under duress, deal with her in a "professional capacity" inside in the snug!

As a "blow in", I was definetly not part of the "old glass" brigade!
    "Short drinks and short skirts lead to short tempers"!
    Initially, when you went to Tom's, you were an "apprentice". He would watch you like a hawk - how you carried yourself, who you spoke to, where you sat and how carefully you held your glass. After maybe 10 weeks or so, you were deemed a regular - but not yet trustworthy. It took months to be awarded an "old pint glass" and, when it happened, the whole bar (which was invariably packed) would go silent - you had been accepted! People would come and congratulate you and shake your hand "Well done boy!". It was like being granted membership into an exclusive club, which, of course, Tom Maher's was. The oldest glass I ever got there was dated 1928 - the year my Father was born.
    Note: Tom was the very first publican, in Ireland, to ban smoking in a bar. The Government (bless their tiny toes) did it about 2 years later. Tom was a very old man at that stage, and the smoke wasn't doing his health any good, so he banned it. Didn't make a blind bit of difference to his trade - everybody remained loyal and simply went outside for a smoke.

Mc, I don't want to contradict you. The Beer and Bite - from which my girlfriend and I got barred - was in Arundel lane as far as I can recall. I will not go into details as to why we got barred, but it has "stuck in my mind". This is why I can remember it so vividly. I used to get the Country Butter from Walls. My mate, Willie Power lived in Walls.
    Ajolopies Mc. - you're dead right! It was on the corner, BUT, the lounge, in which you wouldn't swing a cat, was in the lane, and had it's own entrance and sign. The place was tiny - ideal if you were feeling "rosemantic"! :o

Ajolopies Mc. - you're dead right! It was on the corner, BUT, the lounge, in which you wouldn't swing a cat, was in the lane, and had it's own entrance and sign. The place was tiny - ideal if you were feeling "rosemantic"! :o

I wouldn't worry about getting barred by Johnny Alyward if you laughed to loud he'd give you a look as if you were doing something wrong. When I was serving my time I did some work with a man I was working with at that time on the extension of the pub that became known as The Beer & Bite. He also owned the Wander Inn in Johnstown which was run by his son John. I'm not sure if that pub is still run by the Alyward's as I haven't been that way for quite some time. Another great story about the famous Tom one evening while in there with my father I coped a half full bottle on the shelf behind the counter upon inquiry he told me a great story.You know he was famous for not serving a customer if he came in with drink in him, well one evening he slipped up and did just that and when he discovered his mistake he took away the mans drink and capped it promising him on his return visit when he came back sober he could have his drink in exchange for the half full bottle. Well this man went home and died that night so Tom left his drink on the shelf as a mark of respect. It must be the only pub in Ireland that you entered sober and left sober My father got the hump with him and didn't go in there for a long time, because going in there one night he tripped on the way in and when he went to order a bottle Tom told him to go home and come back when he was sober. He hadn't put a drink to his mouth at the time and no explaining would do so he left. When my mother died I used to go down to Waterford and bring my father out to places where he brought me in my younger day's. We went in to Tom as both men were old I was glad to say I got around my father to go back in there. It was gas he just greeted my father as if he had met him the day before. After all the years my father still felt the need to claim his innocence Tom just smiled he probably taught I'm not the only oddball here, I always have the intention to call in there when I'm down around Christmas but the pub is never open His wife Mary carries on the same tradition. I remember her passing down Barrack St to work as Tom's housekeeper many years ago she would be a very old women now. I think a nephew of Tom's runs the place now. I wonder is he a character.

Great Shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I used to drink in Wallaces. Think the barman was called Eddie. He was a serious fellow and didnt tolerate any messing but would look after you and made sure you got your Christmas drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Glue sniffing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

White socks.

• Advertisement

Key on a string in the letter box - or just left in the lock! :)

Frog Spawn in the bath - my Dad went ballistic! :eek:

Pet Runny Babbits!

1 Woodbine and 1 Match from Mrs. Tobin's on Hennessy's Road, on the way to school - 3d.

fRemembering those long hot days and maybe not so hot summer days spent on the beach in Tramore. Kettle of boiling water bought for sixpence from the shop across the road from Joe OShea's. Banana and sand sandwich's and a cup of tea kept us happy for many a day when we were young. My mother told me years later the money spent on the bus fair and the sandwich's was from the dinner money that was saved. I think most families there were in the same boat. Great fun and wonderful memories. When the mackerel season came around the fishermen would row to the shoreline and shout fresh mackerel. you could buy a load of fish for very little money, boy they were some treat when we got home. Caught that morning and eat that evening. Anyone remember 'Jimmy the Bus' he used to drive for Lynch's bus service to Woodstown, Dunmore, Passage and Cheekpoint. He was some character, the bus would pull off from the Quay and he would say who's first for a song. Somebody would always oblige and if say you were heading for Woodstown just before the turn off he would say hands up who wants to go to Woodstown or Dunmore. You didn't always get to the destination that was planed for that morning because it was a democracy on Jimmy's bus. It was brilliant fun, when I was young I taught these characters were commonplace. I just took it all for granted, now they are part of rich memories I have of growing up in Waterford back in the sixties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Purple haze - Hear it on the radio - best single ever from a Waterford band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

FishBowel wrote: »
    Purple haze - Hear it on the radio - best single ever from a Waterford band.

the Hendrix lad from Ballybricken :D

CR....CRM.....CRMR.....OK!

Hands up all who know this chant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

My Mother told me , she remembered a Story about Thomas Maher pub , In the sixties, A man walked in the bar ordered bottle Guninness, When done the drink, ordered another but Tom refused to give him another and told him to go home cos he knew he has four kids and a wife and he is on the dole. Most bars wouldn't care nowadays...

• Advertisement

My Mother told me , she remembered a Story about Thomas Maher pub , In the sixties, A man walked in the bar ordered bottle Guninness, When done the drink, ordered another but Tom refused to give him another and told him to go home cos he knew he has four kids and a wife and he is on the dole. Most bars wouldn't care nowadays...
    That'd be Tom alright!

Advertisement