Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning if you are moving from Eircom

Options
  • 12-03-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

We got caught out by Eircom. We were porting our numbers to Blueface.ie (viva la internet!). Basically, if we had kept our talktime package until the end of the billing period (despite porting earlier in the period) we would have been fine. Instead we got stuck for flat rate calls for a month an a half. For a business that is disastrous!

Here is a copy of the complaint that went into Comreg, but it seems that it is Eircom policy to charge flat rate when a package is canceled (rather than charge for the part of the period used as normal) and there is nothing anybody can do about it. (apart from blog and post about it everywhere of course). Same complaint has gone into the National Consumer Agency. I'll let you know if anything comes of it... off to do some more posting now. rolleyes.gif

Bill dispute
    With: Eircom
    Eircom Complaint number: ********
    Comreg case number: ******

Reason: -
    On 26th February we ported two of our numbers (*****1, *****2) from Eircom to Blueface.ie. We retained our third number (*****3) because this number is the line our broadband comes in on. All three lines were on the same account. When the numbers were ported I called Eircom. Since we were no longer going to be placing calls (other than emergency numbers) through Eircom I asked that our packages be stopped and billing brought to the absolute minimum (ie just line rental, one phone rental and broadband charges). I assumed that we would be charged the portion of the month that we had used and the rest - having no call activity - would not be charged. At no stage was I advised that this would not be the case.

I got our bill online yesterday and noticed that all calls had incorrectly been charged at normal rates rather than as part of the package. The following are the actions I have taken to date:-

Call Placed to 1901 - Bill enqiries : 12-3-09 11:34
    Advised by agent that because talktime for business was cancelled part way through a billing period that flat rates (no package reductions) apply. Asked for complaints dept.

Call Placed to 1800200481 - Eircom customer complaints : 12-3-09 11:50
    Spoke with ******** *****. She was polite but stated that this was policy.. it's in the small print. In error she stated that it was on the bill. If it is I can't find it. I asserted that I was not made aware of this when canceling and had I known I would have not cancelled until the end of the billing period. After being dumbfounded that they did not apply the agreed settings to our account for as long as it was operational I asked that they reissue the bill with the talktime option active for the full billing period. I was told that eircom cannot re-issue bills. I asked what would happen in the event of a technical error that resulted in a customer being grossly overcharged. I was informed that it would be rectified in the next bill. I asked that our bill be rectified in the next bill (we still have the account because of our broadband service). I was told that I would have to talk to billing. I asserted that it was not my job to do so since I was making a complaint and asked that Michelle sort it out (having had a few too many occasions of being passed from Billy to Jack with Eircom in the past) and then ring me back.

Call Received from Michelle in complaints dept. 12-03-09 12:10
    Michelle stated that it was against policy to make any further changes. The bill stands. There is nobody else I can speak to in Eircom that can help. Interestingly she told me that even if I had used 61 out of 62 days of the billing period with a talktime package and then cancelled it, that the package would still be removed and I would have to pay for all calls at normal rates. That means that unless I cancel on the last day of the billing period that we will lose out. Or perhaps it is the day after that I would need to cancel and if I cancelled on the day I would still be charged at the higher rates... who knows?

Other Information

Call billing period:
    03-01-09 to 03-03-09

Talktime for business package ended 26-02-09 when numbers ported.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

hobnob101 wrote: »
    Call Placed to 1800200481 - Eircom customer complaints : 12-3-09 11:50
    Spoke with...

Why didn't you censor out the Eircom worker's name? With a quick google search of that name and her job, I was able to find her social networking page.....bad from. You should probably censor names when posting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't think so, otherwise it's not factual, and their names are not secret/confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Red Alert wrote: »
    I don't think so, otherwise it's not factual, and their names are not secret/confidential.

They why keep the phone numbers secret?

Same with the "Eircom Complaint number" and "Comreg case number"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it must be in eircoms terms and conditions that if you cancel a call plan between billing periods you will be taken off it from your last bill date and charged normal rates for the remaining term. this looks standard enough with price bundles etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Red Alert wrote: »

I'm sure you'd change your tune if it was your name being bandied around.

Besides, it's in the T&C. Try reading it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

The name was an oversight and has now been removed. Although, I feel that all employees of a company represent that company and therefor should be treated as the company.... however I am not feeling comfortable about leaving it in because she was clearly a junior employee and not empowered by her management to make any sort of autocratic decisions.

Yes it is in the T&C's. That is not the point. The point is that it is a policy that is very much not in the interests of the consumer..... and as such qualifies the policy for inclusion in "rip - off Ireland".

That's what I think anyway.

Advertisement