Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Stark wrote: »
    Too many junctions on a motorway is a bad thing.

So is too few if one juction becomes very clogged. I'll reserve final judgement until it's all finished in the summer, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Using the R154 to Trim is not toll dodging by the way. Staying on the M3 to Dunshaughlin and paying the toll might end up being quicker, but it's taking the long way around to get to Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

PauloMN wrote: »
    Not impressed with the new M3 arrangements. The Trim road (R154) and Ratoath junction needs a separate M3 junction rather than havng to share the Dunboyne one imo. The Dunboyne junction is too busy already.

Maybe there's further works planned but the current arrangement is no better than before it opened, and seeing as there's a toll past that junction, most of the traffic will be coming off there. 3 roundabouts to negotiate between the M3 exit and the Trim/Ratoath roads is just crap.
    I think the situation will improve when work on the new Clonee bridge is complete.
    In the meantime, there is a handy back-road from Dunboyne that will bring you right onto the Trim Road, bypassing the three roundabouts. Leaving Dunboyne going towards the N3, first left after the Industrial Estate, next right, continue to T-junction, turn left, straight onto Trim Road. Fairyhouse roundabout on RHS, turn left for Trim. Takes about six or seven minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

GeneHunt wrote: »
    it's the Fairyhouse roundabout (beside Toll bridge) in the mornings which is going to be a nightmare I think, because inbound traffic from Navan wishing to avoid the toll will exit at Junction 6 (R125 Dunshaughlin) travel down R154 through Batterstown and join the R147 (old N3) at the Fairyhouse roundabout, now if this is the rat run, then the R147 from Dunshaughlin and R155 from Ratoath will build-up very badly at this roundabout.:mad:
    You're right, can't believe I never realised this before. It's going to be a nightmare. So it looks like Dunshaughlin has been bypassed at the expense of Batterstown.

I took photos today in and around the toll bridge at Fairyhouse...the following sequence of photos were taken facing south (from Rathbeggan direction).STA60739.JPG

...getting nearerSTA60740.JPG

• Advertisement

...and nearerSTA60741.JPG

No hassle from the security guy in the site office...STA60742.JPG

"A lot done, more to" STA60743.JPGdo"

Close-up of anchor points for the canopy.Attachment not found.

• Advertisement

STA60750.JPGAnother bridge from another era, taken from under the Toll canopy, the bridge is just visible in the centre of this photo. A closer shot in the next photo.

The old, overshadowed by the new...STA60754.JPG

I went through without paying!STA60747.JPG

I assume these yellow structures are a kind of shock-absorbing buffer for any driver who isn't good at driving through the lanes!
    The next photo shows a close-up of one of them.STA60750.JPG

Looking up at the underside of the canopy here (and the nxt photo)STA60755.JPG

No good for Aintree or Cheltenham, but a shore thing! (some hardware lying around on pallets near the toll bridge.STA60758.JPG

Towards north, next bridge after toll (gives acSTA60760.JPGcess to "Rathbeggan Lakes"). The next bridge (just visible in this photo) crosses the Raynestown road.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

CUCINA wrote: »
    Close-up of anchor points for the canopy.Attachment not found.

Hi CUCINA, there seems to be a problem with the attachment! The other photos look great.

The toll plaza huts are new, they must have arrived in the last week or so.

• Advertisement

Last photo for now, taken just before Raynestown bridge.

Nice house, but..."now where did I leave those ear-plugs?"!STA60762.JPG

Gene, thanks for your kind comments...re that attachment, it'STA60744.JPGs coming up ok for me, but I will re-send it now, just in case it makes a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Thanks CUCINA the photo's were great. I wonder when the actual opening date is now? I've seen here March and May listed any updates??

Took advantage of the fine weather today and took some shots around Bracetown/Clonee and also further along the M3, north of Dunshaughlin.
    Next few photos start from the Statoil garage and continue south towards the bridge, on the bridge itself, and continuing as far as the Clonee exit.
    Here goes...

Notice that the N3 has now been aligned with the Bracetown bridge. Rapid progress being made here.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement