Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*PAYPAL*PAYPAL*PAYPAL - HERE ONLY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Even if you use eBay, you won't be covered for a lot of scams, if this buyer is a scammer. Safest for you is cash or bank transfer. Safest for a scammer, is Paypal. Buyers are generally safe enough with eBay and Paypal, but not sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Hi,

My friend sold something to someone else over the internet and they paid for it via paypal.

Now my friend has a credit in their paypal account of just over €100 and wants to withdraw to his credit card, which he has registered and verified with paypal.

However when he clicks on the withdraw button it only gives him the option to withdraw to his bank account and not to his credit card. I am pretty sure than you can withdraw to your credit card?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

You can't withdraw to credit card. It's bank account only, or spend the money on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

jor el wrote: »
    You can't withdraw to credit card. It's bank account only, or spend the money on something.

That told me then :p

Cheers for your help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

Can anybody please tell me what sending something as a gift across seas will accomplish? Will it mean that the sender will not be charged by PayPal, and will the receiver of the gift also not be charged? Because, according to their T&C, there is only a commission of 2.9%. So why fuss over this Gift option (if it's not a gift, of course) when you're only being charged that much. It's nothing, really, especially if the transaction is relatively small.

I'm currently in the process of trying to import an electric guitar amplifier from the States and I'm concerned for how much it's going to cost - VAT, taxes, etc - whether it's worth it or not. I'm looking for some clear information on what the procedures are, what import duties may be incurred, what PayPal demand, and whether I should ask for the amp to be sent as a Gift, etc.

If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Hey guys apologies if this has been asked before but how long does it take for paypals charge to return to your balance after confirming a 3v voucher?
    I linked a 3v voucher to my paypal account and it took money out of my 3v balance. Here is the transactions that occured:

30/04/2010
    8212PAYPAL--*EXPUSE 35314369001
    Purchase Approval

AuthCode:333806

€1.50
    €-1.50
    30/04/2010
    PAYPAL 35314369001 GB
    Purchase Approval
    AuthCode:333801

$1.00
    €-0.98

FX Commission

€-0.02

I confirmed the voucher using the 4 digit code but it still hasnt returned the charge to my balance. This is pretty frustrating since im now a Euro short of what I need to make my purchase! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Testament1 wrote: »
    Hey guys apologies if this has been asked before but how long does it take for paypals charge to return to your balance after confirming a 3v voucher?
    I linked a 3v voucher to my paypal account and it took money out of my 3v balance. Here is the transactions that occured:

30/04/2010
    8212PAYPAL--*EXPUSE 35314369001
    Purchase Approval

AuthCode:333806

€1.50
    €-1.50
    30/04/2010
    PAYPAL 35314369001 GB
    Purchase Approval
    AuthCode:333801

$1.00
    €-0.98

FX Commission

€-0.02

I confirmed the voucher using the 4 digit code but it still hasnt returned the charge to my balance. This is pretty frustrating since im now a Euro short of what I need to make my purchase! :mad:

I think I may be right in thinking they won't return any charge until you have made a transaction. And then it'll only be around a Euro I think.

kleefarr wrote: »
    I think I may be right in thinking they won't return any charge until you have made a transaction. And then it'll only be around a Euro I think.

Well thats a bit of a balls considering I need that Euro to afford the transaction!

Well thats a bit of a balls considering I need that Euro to afford the transaction!

Have just checked the site and it does say ...

Question :

"How much do you charge to my card when confirming my debit or credit card?

Answer :

Below is a list of how much we charge to cards in different countries. If we can’t determine the currency of the card or we don’t support that currency, we charge 1.95 USD to the card.

After you confirm your card, we credit the amount to your PayPal account.

Although when I have used it it doesn't appear for ages.

So they'll return it but they'll take their time doing it? Hopefully the voucher isnt expired by the time they return it.

• Advertisement

Can anybody please tell me what sending something as a gift across seas will accomplish? Will it mean that the sender will not be charged by PayPal, and will the receiver of the gift also not be charged? Because, according to their T&C, there is only a commission of 2.9%. So why fuss over this Gift option (if it's not a gift, of course) when you're only being charged that much. It's nothing, really, especially if the transaction is relatively small.

The recipient pays the commission on a normal Paypal money transfer, where as with gift payments, the sender pays the commission. Gift payments have no protection for the person who sends the money. Once you send it, it's gone forever. If the recipient doesn't send what you paid for, though luck. It's not designed as a method of paying for purchases, it's designed as a method of sending a cash gift to someone you know.
    I'm currently in the process of trying to import an electric guitar amplifier from the States and I'm concerned for how much it's going to cost - VAT, taxes, etc - whether it's worth it or not. I'm looking for some clear information on what the procedures are, what import duties may be incurred, what PayPal demand, and whether I should ask for the amp to be sent as a Gift, etc.

Import duty thread. Filling in a false customs declaration (marking a purchase as a gift) is a criminal offence.
    So they'll return it but they'll take their time doing it? Hopefully the voucher isnt expired by the time they return it.

It won't go back to the card, it will be available in your Paypal account as a cash balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

The recipient pays the commission on a normal Paypal money transfer, where as with gift payments, the sender pays the commission. Gift payments have no protection for the person who sends the money. Once you send it, it's gone forever. If the recipient doesn't send what you paid for, though luck. It's not designed as a method of paying for purchases, it's designed as a method of sending a cash gift to someone you know.

Import duty thread. Filling in a false customs declaration (marking a purchase as a gift) is a criminal offence.

It won't go back to the card, it will be available in your Paypal account as a cash balance.
    Thanks for the info.

I've asked in the Import Duty Thead. We'll see what people might have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sorry Mods Didnt see the sticky until after posted.

I notced a unauthorised transaction in my Paypal account of just over e50 from Plimus if anyone ever heard of them?.

I never heard of them until now.

I contacted Paypal on the matter and waiting for a response.

Googling them they seem to be a regular scammers.

Whats the chances of getting a refund?

Sorry Mods Didnt see the sticky until after posted.

Merged.

You should get a refund since you didn't authorise anything. If you don't, then you should look into a credit card charge back (contact the bank about this if the Paypal refund fails).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Merged.

You should get a refund since you didn't authorise anything. If you don't, then you should look into a credit card charge back (contact the bank about this if the Paypal refund fails).
    Contacted Plimus and forewarded invoice number, It was a fraudulant transacrion and was refunded immediatly.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

Hi, I'm new to this Ebay and Paypal thing.
    I set up a Paypal account and have successfully linked and verified my BOI bank account on it.
    I found a good to purchase and tried to pay for it but it keeps asking me for a credit or debit card number etc but I thought I would be paying through my bank account. Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hi, I'm new to this Ebay and Paypal thing.
    I set up a Paypal account and have successfully linked and verified my BOI bank account on it.
    I found a good to purchase and tried to pay for it but it keeps asking me for a credit or debit card number etc but I thought I would be paying through my bank account. Any help?

It works this way...

If you link a bank acount to you PayPal account then you can't authorise PayPal to take money from youy Bank account, Hell why whould anyone want at third party to dip into there bank account? So in this case you have to tansfer the money from your bank account to your PayPal account (takes a few days) before you can spend it. If you get paid by anyone to your PayPal account the money sits there untill you withdraw it to your bank account.

You can authorise PayPal to take from and pay money to your credit card balance, so if you link a credit card to your PayPal account its just like paying by credit card and any payments from PayPal go straight on your credit card balance

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

ttm wrote: »
    It works this way...

If you link a bank acount to you PayPal account then you can't authorise PayPal to take money from youy Bank account, Hell why whould anyone want at third party to dip into there bank account? So in this case you have to tansfer the money from your bank account to your PayPal account (takes a few days) before you can spend it. If you get paid by anyone to your PayPal account the money sits there untill you withdraw it to your bank account.

You can authorise PayPal to take from and pay money to your credit card balance, so if you link a credit card to your PayPal account its just like paying by credit card and any payments from PayPal go straight on your credit card balance

thanks for the quick reply. I was told wrong by a friend in this case it seems. I will try organise with the seller that it will take a few days for it come through. I don't have a credit card but I do have a laser card with BOI but as far as I know it is not accepted. Am I right in this? just before I continue with this
    Thanks again,
    Cian

Sorry I've always used a credit card so can't advise on Laser. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok pulling my hair out here. :eek:Trying to buy something off ebay which was £85.80 (€99.31) by my calculations. I went and bought a 3V voucher for €100 presuming this was enough. I paid €102.50 (€2.50 charge).

I go back and register this 3V number on Paypal. Confirmed account in email. Went back to ebay to purchase item and it said id insufficient funds (i picked sellers conversion rate not paypals).

Can anyone help and explain what i did wrong? Do i have to top it up again?Ive attached the transaction history (some numbers changed for privacy just in case.

Attachment not found.

• Advertisement

Your conversion rate is wrong. If using something like xe.com, then you should remember it'll never be that good. Currently xe.com says £85.80 is €99.90, so adding another 2% to that to factor in a banks rate, and you're going to be over €100. You need more money.

Am I right in this? just before I continue with this

You can't fund Paypal from a bank account or a Laser card, only credit card or a Visa debit card. Failing a credit card, a pre-pay one will also work. These take time to organise and set up though, usually 1-2 weeks.

You can't fund Paypal from a bank account or a Laser card, only credit card or a Visa debit card. Failing a credit card, a pre-pay one will also work. These take time to organise and set up though, usually 1-2 weeks.

I stand corrected ;) but did this change at some stage? I'm sure you used to be able to fund PayPal from a bank account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Your conversion rate is wrong. If using something like xe.com, then you should remember it'll never be that good. Currently xe.com says £85.80 is €99.90, so adding another 2% to that to factor in a banks rate, and you're going to be over €100. You need more money.
    Ok thanks! New to this. Is it just a matter of buying another €20 3V Voucher and adding it on to the one i got yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Hiya I bought a dvd on ebay on the 19th April, a few days later I got an email saying the seller has removed the item and to not pay. I had already paid for the item, so I sent the seller a message hoping to be reassured. The seller did not respond, so after 3 messages I opened a dispute, this was escalated to a claim, where paypal gave the seller 10 days to respond.
    That ended yesterday. So I was wondering when this whole thing should be resolved.
    The seller had previosly been top rated until the day I bought the dvd, when he just decided not to bother anymore. There are 34 people who bought in or around that date who have all the same problem as me and have left negative feedback.

ttm wrote: »
    I stand corrected ;) but did this change at some stage? I'm sure you used to be able to fund PayPal from a bank account?

For UK bank accounts, you can transfer directly, but not for Ireland. You can however transfer money to Paypal using Online banking, or even an in-branch giro, but this can take about a week to clear. You can find the information when you log into you Paypal account, and you'll need to use the reference number there on any transfer, otherwise your money goes AWOL.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Ok thanks! New to this. Is it just a matter of buying another €20 3V Voucher and adding it on to the one i got yesterday?

Not too familiar with 3V, but I think you can transfer the balance from one to another (for which they charge a fee).
    That ended yesterday. So I was wondering when this whole thing should be resolved.

Paypal will find in your favour if the seller hasn't responded, but that doesn't mean you'll get your money back. If the seller cleared out the account, then the money is gone, and Paypal will do nothing for you. You should get notification soon that the claim has been settled.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hi.

Just wanted to know from those who use PayPal, how long it takes to get verified?

Was planning on linking my Bank A/C with PayPal, but somebody I know said to me it can take a couple of months to be verified like it did to him :eek:

Linking a bank account is fairly useless. It only takes a few days to verify a credit card, you can do it as soon as you see your statement (3-4 days if viewable online).

Linking a bank account is fairly useless. It only takes a few days to verify a credit card, you can do it as soon as you see your statement (3-4 days if viewable online).

My understanding is that what you say is true for buyers, but sellers might want to link a bank account and go to the trouble of transfering money from PayPal to a bank account because PayPal can't touch money in a bank account but can charge your credit card if a buyer wins a dispute.

Intersting point about online banking, long long ago (in internet terms)to get my PayPal account verified quicker (I'd only just got a writtten statement at the time) I set up online banking and have used it ever since.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Just wanted to know from those who use PayPal, how long it takes to get verified?

Was planning on linking my Bank A/C with PayPal, but somebody I know said to me it can take a couple of months to be verified like it did to him :eek:

I linked my Paypal account to my online bank account.
    All in all it took about ten days. That included waiting for the confirmation pin from my bank and then waiting for the transfer to Paypal to be confirmed by Paypal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement