Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon: Time to buy back our infrastructure

Options
  • 17-04-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭

I for one and sick tired of our nations infrastructure being asset striped and run into the ground by a succession of foreign and not so foreign owners.

I believe it is time for the country to buy back €ircon and strip out the network from the service provision similar to the way the ESB has been removed from the distribution network.

Yeh or Neh?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0417/eircom.html

Should we as a coutry take back control of our nations telecoms infrastructure? 20 votes

Yes, it is the only way to have services properly provided.
    0%
    No, the system we have right now works as it was intended.
    100%
    GavinSpearsteve-hosting36oisinnetwhizkidmarcphistocerbeusWellyJSir OxmanmicksKeRbDoGLister1MunsterCyclingJohnny BitteBaconZombiePaiDragonmobius42DardaniaD_BEARMr. Croft 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Bit of a no-brainer alright. It was done badly in the first place. It's a shame, with such a small country it would have been possible to have good high speed connections throughout.

Another opportunity missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Its a disgrace.

To bad out country is led by a group of idiots.
    I wonder how many of them have equivelent of a minimum of ECDL knowledge (let alone networks)?

I've said it before and I still think the same - I hope out whole infrastructure just f&*ks up / gets left in the past. They might learn a lesson then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why include a poll if you're going to ask the question in a loaded way? :)

Fwiw, I'd only be interested in the state re-acquiring eircom if it was for truely rock bottom prices and preferably had the retail arm stripped out of it pre-purchase. Things could be done with the rights-of-way and sites that eircom own if the owners had their heads screwed on and some long term investment was on the board.

It's questionable how much the access network is worth any more, or how much use the access network is without major investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

You must all be living in a shoebox. Have you noticed the lack of funds in the government coffers. Even if they got it at rock bottom price (E1) they still could'nt pay for any infrastructure upgrade. Private enterprise is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

National infrastructure not in state ownership is a disaster, just look at the M50 ffs

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would it be cheaper to build a brand new parallel infrastructure than to adsorb the debts ?

Would it be cheaper to build a brand new parallel infrastructure than to adsorb the debts ?

Wouldn't suprise me if it was cheaper... especially at the same standard!

But isn't that the point, we want better quality networks and eircon or any private entity isn't going to build that type of infrastructure without making heaps of cash from it, so why not let the country build it and let telecoms rent access.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kindly ask heanet to expand into the residential market :)

last I heard their infra wasn't that shoddy!

LOL

• Advertisement

HEAnet is connected to INEX via two 10 Gbit/s links, JANET in the UK via two 1 Gbit/s links, GEANT in Europe via two 10 Gbit/s links and the General Internet via two 10 Gbit/s links. They also have several links to research networks in North America. Additionally there are several non-research links to the USA, Europe and South-East Asia.

I personally would like to request two 10Gbit/s terminations to my apartment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Enforce shared ducting
    and get the ESB to push fibre over the local lines or put WiFi on the masts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Eircom should have never been allowed to keep the network of copper/exchanges when they went private.
    The cable network should have been handed to another company, something like what was done with Eirgrid/ESB Networks

Interesting idea.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551606

MC

But isn't that the point, we want better quality networks and eircon or any private entity isn't going to build that type of infrastructure without making heaps of cash from it, so why not let the country build it and let telecoms rent access.

MC
    Why would telecoms rent access ?
    There is a lot of government funded dark fibre in this country, the problem is the last mile and all of the providers jealously guard their ducts so retro fitting would be increadibly expensive.

LLU has been a disaster.

Perhaps you cold have a situation where government could nationalise just the copper to the exchanges ?

That would be another option but I imagine the incompetent sorry incumbent would not be pleased to have their cash cow taken off them.

MC

Advertisement