Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than 1mb on a 7.6mb line with BT... HELP!

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

How many hours have I spent on the phone to BT in the last month? I've lost count. I feel like I'm going around in circles not getting anywhere, so any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

I recently had BTs top home broadband package installed (7.6mb although in some parts of the country it's 24mb). For the first couple of weeks I got quick speeds of between 6.8 and 7.4mb but then things went to s**t. I'm now getting around half a meg and I'm even lucky if I get on in the first place. For some reason I keep having to sign back in to BT broadband on the router and it doesn't even do that half the time.

I'm using a BT Voyager 2110
    Firmware v3.63
    Line Mode G.DMT
    Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave
    Line Up Time 00:11:42:39
    Line Coding Trellis On
    Line Up Count 1

Statistics

Downstream / Upstream

Line Rate 7616 Kbps / 672 Kbps
    Noise Margin 14.6 dB / 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 4.0 dB / 2.0 dB
    Output Power 3.3 dBm / -3.4 dBm
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 239 / 22
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 / 12
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 / 4
    D (interleaver depth) 64 / 8
    Super Frames 2479945 / 2479893
    Super Frame Errors 0 / 0
    RS Words 168636326 / 42158181
    RS Correctable Errors 0 / 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 / 0
    HEC Errors 0 / 0
    OCD Errors 0 / 0
    LCD Errors 0 / 0
    ES Errors 0 / 0

As you can see from the stats, it looks fine. The "tech support" line have had me change routers (twice), filters (3 times), bypass wireless and even asked me to get the wiring checked in the house, which I have with no success.
    They have reported a fault on the line to eircom 3 times and every time eircom have come back saying there's nothing wrong.

Where do I stand? I'm tied down to this contract now and I'm not getting near the speed I'm paying for.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Everything does look as it should be. Try starting this download and when it stabilises, make note of the transfer rate in KB/s.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-DE.iso

Also, the fact that you say it's hard to get onto the router sometimes means it could be a PC issue. A few questions:

Do you connect wireless or with a cable? If wireless, try the test with an ethernet cable.
    What make is your computer?
    Are you using Windows Vista / XP / Mac OS X?
    If wireless, how far away is your router from your PC?
    Do you have cordless phones in your house / near your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doc62

Tried with 2 seperate computers - 1 running xp sp3 the other panther. Tried both wireless and cabled and getting rid of the cordless phone. Also tried hard wiring the router to the wall box on the outside where the line enters the house. All the same

doc62 wrote: »
    Tried with 2 seperate computers - 1 running xp sp3 the other panther. Tried both wireless and cabled and getting rid of the cordless phone. Also tried hard wiring the router to the wall box on the outside where the line enters the house. All the same
    What's the same, all you have said it's less than 1MB.

Run the speed test like I posted (don't use SpeedTest, Magnet etc.) and post up your stable transfer rate please.

Will do. At work just now so will post speed tonight. Thanks for the help

Will do. At work just now so will post speed tonight. Thanks for the help
    Good stuff. Also if possible, try get a test run during the day to cancel out the possibility of contention.

Just a thought, do you have the same security software on each of your computers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm worried about this problem you're having Doc62... I just signed up to BT 7MB broadband... :(

I'm worried about this problem you're having Doc62... I just signed up to BT 7MB broadband... :(
    I have 7.6MB with BT and the OP's stats are better than mine and I still get 800KB/s, don't stress :)

cpu-dude wrote: »
    I have 7.6MB with BT and the OP's stats are better than mine and I still get 800KB/s, don't stress :)
    Phewww! That's somewhat reassuring!

I'm leaving NTL so I'm cr@pping my pants having to go back to copper broadband... But apparently the Ashbourne Exchange is pretty good so fingers crossed!!!

Phewww! That's somewhat reassuring!

I'm leaving NTL so I'm cr@pping my pants having to go back to copper broadband... But apparently the Ashbourne Exchange is pretty good so fingers crossed!!!
    I know people in Ashbourne and service has always been good up that way (esp. since it's such a big place now).

I know people in Ashbourne and service has always been good up that way (esp. since it's such a big place now).
    That's put a big smile on my face! :D

• Advertisement

That's put a big smile on my face! :D
    Good to hear.

Note: In my house I have the Broadband + 2 Sky boxes connected at the main telephone point - 1 double filter, the Broadband in the DSL side and the Sky boxes split at the phone side. Just make sure your setup is correct and you should get the speeds no problem. Example below:

8539.jpg

My statistics are:

8538.png

Good to hear.

Note: In my house I have the Broadband + 2 Sky boxes connected at the main telephone point - 1 double filter, the Broadband in the DSL side and the Sky boxes split at the phone side. Just make sure your setup is correct and you should get the speeds no problem. Example below:

filter_scenario.jpg

My statistics are:

8538.png
    Thanks for that CPU-Dude!

Can't see the first screenshot (proxy in work blocking access to switchgon.com) but I'm sure my setup will be 100% as it will be the simplest of setups!

It will be: Modem connected to phone socket. That's it! lol

No Sky, no telephone, nothing... Just broadband!

Actually, do I still have to use a filter even though it will be a broadband-only connection (i.e. no phone connected)? I used to use a filter when I had Magnet even though I wasn't using a phone back then either...

Oh, forgot to ask. Where do you get the statistics data (second screenshot)? From the modem interface I assume?

Thanks for that CPU-Dude!

Can't see the first screenshot (proxy in work blocking access to switchgon.com) but I'm sure my setup will be 100% as it will be the simplest of setups!

It will be: Modem connected to phone socket. That's it! lol

No Sky, no telephone, nothing... Just broadband!

Actually, do I still have to use a filter even though it will be a broadband-only connection (i.e. no phone connected)? I used to use a filter when I had Magnet even though I wasn't using a phone back then either...
    Fixed the image for you bud!

That's even better, nothing to get in the way. I'd still put the double filter on the line - it's designed to make sure the Broadband gets nothing but the high frequency DSL signal so even if there is line interference, it shouldn't affect you. And just in case you need the phone sometime.
    Oh, forgot to ask. Where do you get the statistics data (second screenshot)? From the modem interface I assume?
    Yeah, it's from my D-Link DSL-2640B Router (remote accessed it from work and took a snap :D)

Fixed the image for you bud!
    Thanks for that Dude! Very informative Org. Chart! ;)
    That's even better, nothing to get in the way. I'd still put the double filter on the line - it's designed to make sure the Broadband gets nothing but the high frequency DSL signal so even if there is line interference, it shouldn't affect you. And just in case you need the phone sometime.
    I'll be using that filter then! Didn't actually know what it did until now... (n00b!)
    Yeah, it's from my D-Link DSL-2640B Router (remote accessed it from work and took a snap :D)
    Cool! What do you use to access remotely? I used to access my PC at home remotely using LogMeIn a few years back but I think you have to pay for that nowadays... I also used another tool that made a PC "look" like a server and I had my C:/ drive mapped to my work computer and all! Can't remember what it was called though...

Cool! What do you use to access remotely?
    That software you are referring to is Remote Access, what I have setup is Remote Management. It's a setting that most router's have so you can access the router config page from wherever you are. E.g you set a port and add it to your public IP address - http://12.34.56.78:8080

What's the same, all you have said it's less than 1MB.

Run the speed test like I posted (don't use SpeedTest, Magnet etc.) and post up your stable transfer rate please.

Just checked the transfer rate, It's fluctuating between 30kb/s and 100kb/s but mostly around 55kb/s.

BT rang me this afternoon saying they can't find the problem and may cancel my contract because they can't offer me the product advertised. I'm rather pissed off now. I feel like i've tried everything

Another test this morning (8.20) got me a transfer rate of 70kb/s

Just checked the transfer rate, It's fluctuating between 30kb/s and 100kb/s but mostly around 55kb/s.

BT rang me this afternoon saying they can't find the problem and may cancel my contract because they can't offer me the product advertised. I'm rather pissed off now. I feel like i've tried everything

Another test this morning (8.20) got me a transfer rate of 70kb/s
    Do you have the same anti virus / security software on all of your computers?

Have you ran the speed test in Safe Mode?

Do you have the same anti virus / security software on all of your computers?

Have you ran the speed test in Safe Mode?

No. AVG with XP and Norton with the Panther.

Last night at a last ditch attempt I used bare tails to RJ11 with my router and checked the line from where the line comes off the street (completely bypassing the house cabling). I ran that test in safe mode and with an ethernet cable and there was still no change.

Tough one aint it!?!

No. AVG with XP and Norton with the Panther.

Sorry, my mistake, not sure what the apple is running. Don't have that here at the moment

• Advertisement

Sorry, my mistake, not sure what the apple is running. Don't have that here at the moment
    Yes it really is. So you have tried a new router, tested at (literally) the very first point in the house, used 3 computers and it's still the same.

Ok well your line won't drop from full speed to 1MB without a specific reason, has there been any changes to the line at all? Any work going on outside by Eircom or anyone else? Any interferrence on the line, new houses built around you that Eircom may have split the line to? Any exposed cabling outside that your aware of?

Yes it really is. So you have tried a new router, tested at (literally) the very first point in the house, used 3 computers and it's still the same.

Ok well your line won't drop from full speed to 1MB without a specific reason, has there been any changes to the line at all? Any work going on outside by Eircom or anyone else? Any interferrence on the line, new houses built around you that Eircom may have split the line to? Any exposed cabling outside that your aware of?

There is new houses in the process of being built between my house and the exchance actually. Still in the early construction phase though. Problem is that Eircom have come back to BT 4 times saying there's nothing wrong with the line. In fact, Eircom's stance on the matter is that I'm getting "up to 7.6mb". It seems like their attitude is that because I'm not an eircom customer, they don't need to look as hard.

BT needs their own engineers me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Have you downloaded more than 100gb since you got it installed?

There is new houses in the process of being built between my house and the exchance actually. Still in the early construction phase though. Problem is that Eircom have come back to BT 4 times saying there's nothing wrong with the line. In fact, Eircom's stance on the matter is that I'm getting "up to 7.6mb". It seems like their attitude is that because I'm not an eircom customer, they don't need to look as hard.

BT needs their own engineers me thinks!
    I agree with you completely on that one. Have BT ever logged a fault for your telephone line and not the Broadband? What exchange are you on?
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Have you downloaded more than 100gb since you got it installed?
    He's not throttled, tech support would have a least spotted that esp. after a few faults.

I agree with you completely on that one. Have BT ever logged a fault for your telephone line and not the Broadband? What exchange are you on?

He's not throttled, tech support would have a least spotted that esp. after a few faults.

I don't think they have logged a fault on the phone, then again, the phone side of the line seems to be working fine.

...and you're right, not even downloaded 10gb let alone 100gb.

I don't think they have logged a fault on the phone, then again, the phone side of the line seems to be working fine.

...and you're right, not even downloaded 10gb let alone 100gb.
    Well ring them up and request a telephone line test (if BT are your Line Rental provider). Tell them about the new houses being being along your line to the exchange and that your Broadband has suddenly stopped being quick for no reason. What exchange are you on?

Well ring them up and request a telephone line test (if BT are your Line Rental provider). Tell them about the new houses being being along your line to the exchange and that your Broadband has suddenly stopped being quick for no reason. What exchange are you on?

Not entirely sure what exchange I'm on, how would I find that out?

Geographically, it the Ballyhooly one... if that's what you meant.

I'm expecting a call back from BT today anyway so I'll mention the phone line test to them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

if the modem is getting sync at
    Line Rate 7616 Kbps / 672 Kbps

then its not going to be a line problem
    is the speed constantly that bad or does it improve at different times of the day?

Not entirely sure what exchange I'm on, how would I find that out?

Geographically, it the Ballyhooly one... if that's what you meant.

I'm expecting a call back from BT today anyway so I'll mention the phone line test to them then.
    Just ask BT if there are any issues on your current exchange.

Also, if it is line related (due to the new houses), do your neighbours get slow speeds as well?
    Baneblade wrote: »
    If the modem is getting sync at

then its not going to be a line problem
    is the speed constantly that bad or does it improve at different times of the day?
    It can still be a line issue if he gets sync, monitored house alarms for example cause this.

• Advertisement

Hi Baneblade, the speeds are consistently bad, unusable at peak, not much better off-peak.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other houses in the area with wired broadband. As far as I know the exchange has only recently been upgraded.

Advertisement