Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIGGER HDD FOR UNMODDED XBOX

• 04-05-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have a 160gig hdd i want to install into an untouched xbox, is this possible or i just softmod it first then use Chimps to swap the drive - or anything else that will work ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The thread titled "how to install a new hard drive into your xbox" Is probably a good place to start ;)

To answer your question, the xbox doesn't nesacerally need to be modded, but you need to put the eeprom from the xbox onto the new hard drive and the easiest way of getting that eeprom is for the xbox to be modded( Its basically the only way, unless you build an external eeprom reader)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

I had planned to softmod it anyway but thought i might be able to easily swap the hdd before hand, if i just load unleashx first can i load xbmc via disc ie not ftp'ing the files across ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Completely pointless as an unmodded XBOX will make absolutely no use of the extra HDD space.
    An unmodded XBOX uses 5 partitions all under 8GB in size and even with 1TB HDD in XBOX, it will still ONLY use a maximum amount of 8GB.

A modded XBOX can make use of the extra HDD space by creating and using different partitions which can be up to 512GB in size.

ongarite wrote: »
    Completely pointless as an unmodded XBOX will make absolutely no use of the extra HDD space.
    An unmodded XBOX uses 5 partitions all under 8GB in size and even with 1TB HDD in XBOX, it will still ONLY use a maximum amount of 8GB.

A modded XBOX can make use of the extra HDD space by creating and using different partitions which can be up to 512GB in size.

I just wanted install the hdd and have it work before i softmodded it and then load xbmc onto it, so not pointless just probably not the ideal step in the process.

Ok i softmodded my box and currently have unleashx installed, still trying to fit a 160gig drive but having a few drama's. Chimps wont work as its a V1.6 xbox, i have auto installer but i cant use the prepare lge hdd option,i cant get a connection to ftp the eeprom to my pc. Also tried using XBOXHDM to clone the existing hdd but after about 4 hours, i put it in my xbox and get error 15.
    I dont know why but i had the same network problem with my other xbox i modded but it came good on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hangover wrote: »
    Ok i softmodded my box and currently have unleashx installed, still trying to fit a 160gig drive but having a few drama's. Chimps wont work as its a V1.6 xbox, i have auto installer but i cant use the prepare lge hdd option,i cant get a connection to ftp the eeprom to my pc. Also tried using XBOXHDM to clone the existing hdd but after about 4 hours, i put it in my xbox and get error 15.
    I dont know why but i had the same network problem with my other xbox i modded but it came good on its own.

You are prob better getting the softmod working on the existing HDD then do a TSOP flash of the built in bios on the Xbox. Means you can replace that hdd easily.
    Do a search for "TSOP flash 1.6 xbox" - note, you will need to soldier the 'flash enable' points on the Xbox motherboard, easy to do though

I haven't done this in 2~ years though :) but it does work.

/me who is against softmodding as you only need to flash the TSOP folks, no need for the original bios or a modchip anymore

kerbdog wrote: »
    You are prob better getting the softmod working on the existing HDD then do a TSOP flash of the built in bios on the Xbox. Means you can replace that hdd easily.
    Do a search for "TSOP flash 1.6 xbox" - note, you will need to soldier the 'flash enable' points on the Xbox motherboard, easy to do though

I haven't done this in 2~ years though :) but it does work.

/me who is against softmodding as you only need to flash the TSOP folks, no need for the original bios or a modchip anymore

You musnt have seen my other other post, i just rebuilt my hdd using xboxhdm and tis all good, why waste money on chipping when softmodding will do what i want for free. One thing i learnt is once you have the eeprom you can screw with it as much as you like and still have a backup plan, i'm just about to do a 3rd box for my brother and now i know how to deal with all the errors that may come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zerocks88

I've been looking for about 2 days now to find some way of getting my girl friends aunts xbox alive again

I'm completely new to xbox and took it apart because I knew the sound because I've had many a computer and that sound was the ticking sound of a dead hard drive
    i tried running it in a pc and sure enough it read.
    I've found some info on other sites to say that hard drives are locked in xbox's and thought maybe this is why it didn't show up on the pc in windows...

any way beside the point

is there any way i can just get an Image of a working standard xbox hard drive and copy it to a new 40g drive I have to get it working?

zerocks88 wrote: »
    I've been looking for about 2 days now to find some way of getting my girl friends aunts xbox alive again

I'm completely new to xbox and took it apart because I knew the sound because I've had many a computer and that sound was the ticking sound of a dead hard drive
    i tried running it in a pc and sure enough it read.
    I've found some info on other sites to say that hard drives are locked in xbox's and thought maybe this is why it didn't show up on the pc in windows...

any way beside the point

is there any way i can just get an Image of a working standard xbox hard drive and copy it to a new 40g drive I have to get it working?

You can build a new hdd very easily but it wont work unless you can get the eeprom code from either the old hdd or off the motherboard, you may need to take it to someone just so they can read the eeprom for.

There are guides on this ite how to rebuild a hdd.

http://www.consoledoc.com/xboxinfo.html

Advertisement