Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford memories - Were you there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

tonc76 wrote: »
    Was present for 1, 2 & 3.

Anyone in Kilcohan for the game against Bordeaux in 1986? Jean Tigana played centre half that day

Aimé Étienne Jacquet was the manager at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Was present for 1, 2 & 3.

Anyone in Kilcohan for the game against Bordeaux in 1986? Jean Tigana played centre half that day

Aimé Étienne Jacquet was the manager at that time?

lost home leg 2-1 as far as I remember - late goal for the Blues and beaten 4-0 in the return leg I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Majority of those are before my time! Remember being on the Tramore Road for the Tour de France though. Biggest waste of a day ever. Here's what I do remember
    • Blowing up the mine in Dunmore
    • Big opening of Woodies DIY
    • Bus crash on the quay, went up onto the footpath where the queue was
    • Nickelodeon being in Tramore (I was asked to stay off camera. I was pretty hungover. Wasnt long ago)
    • Meeting Ray, Dustin and Socky out in Tramore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The day McDonalds was built. They managed it in an afternoon, like it was made of lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The Smiths gig and Morrissey informing the audience 'they told us not to play here!'.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    The Smiths gig and Morrissey informing the audience 'they told us not to play here!'.

Yip, James were the support act (Sit Down).....great night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Yip, James were the support act (Sit Down).....great night

And a 2nd support act, local band called "The Village" I believe. Long before my time but I would have loved to have been there for that. My aunt was at it. 2 Smiths songs were debuted live that night, "What She Said" and "I want the one I can't have". Turns out the IRA threatened The Smiths when they played that tour in 1984.

Dan133269 wrote: »
    And a 2nd support act, local band called "The Village" I believe. Long before my time but I would have loved to have been there for that. My aunt was at it. 2 Smiths songs were debuted live that night, "What She Said" and "I want the one I can't have". Turns out the IRA threatened The Smiths when they played that tour in 1984.

They obviously didnt do any research on the band then as they were all 2nd generation Irish!!

And a 2nd support act, local band called "The Village" I believe.
    Who released a single about some Waterford guy fooling everyone that he was disabled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Going back a wee bit now but was at the Waterford vs Manchester Utd. friendly game on Thursday 8th. May 1969 as a kid with my father.

United team included a lot of the European cup-winning team of 1968, including Brian Kidd.

I've also got a program from 1967 when the famous Leeds utd team, including Charlton and Giles played. The programme has most of the Leeds teams autographs, players like Terry Cooper and Paul Madelley. I found it at parents home in a drawer, presumably belonged to my father.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Going back a wee bit now but was at the Waterford vs Manchester Utd. friendly game on Thursday 8th. May 1969 as a kid with my father.

United team included a lot of the European cup-winning team of 1968, including Brian Kidd.

I've also got a program from 1967 when the famous Leeds utd team, including Charlton and Giles played. The programme has most of the Leeds teams autographs, players like Terry Cooper and Paul Madelley. I found it at parents home in a drawer, presumably belonged to my father.

I reckon that programme would be worth a few bob now especially if you could authenticate the autographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

It was Protestant paramilitaries who threatened the Smiths.

Sinn Fein & Morrisey were quite chummy !

deise blue wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I'd have thought especially after what he said about Thatcher after Brighton.

bullpost wrote: »
    Heard there were hooligans fighting at that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont remember that but then I was only a kid so probably wouldnt have noticed.
    Heard there were hooligans fighting at that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Not sure if anyone else remembers this but that programme that used to be on RTE called Scratch Saturday (I think Mary Fitzgerald used to present it) filmed live from Red Square in the early nineties, kids were running mad trying to get on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Who released a single about some Waterford guy fooling everyone that he was disabled!

I never heard this. Tell me more details if you would please. Were the band popular on any big scale back then?
    deise blue wrote: »

I think you may be right about the threats coming from loyalists rather than republicans, I just read this article and assumed it was the IRA. http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0326/smiths.html

Where did you read that Moz and SF were chummy?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, the biggest local event that sticks out for me was probably when Waterford Utd had that run in the cup in about 1997. The atmosphere in the RSC and the feeling that it was your home team was brilliant. I tried to keep going to home games in my teenage years, then I remember going to 3 scoreless draws in a row, and I said never again :o

I never heard this. Tell me more details if you would please. Were the band popular on any big scale back then?
    Don't know much about them except they were one of many talented Irish rock bands destined for great things but for some reason it didn't happen. Here's a video:

Don't know much about them except they were one of many talented Irish rock bands destined for great things but for some reason it didn't happen. Here's a video:

Think the drummer is Paul Winters!! The bass player is one of the Condons ( Ithink) see him around the place a bit. I cant think of the other lads names......is the lead singer from Cathal Brugha St..... Jacob??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

The Garrett blaze was spectacular :)

some pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

dayshah wrote: »
    Anyone remember when Paul McGrath visited Waterford following Italia '90. I think he was at Theatre Royal or city council offices. We were waiting ages for him to stick his head out. I think he had stage-fright.

Anyone remember Jack Charlton coming to the Cleaboy pub around that time, everyone crowding around the place to see him!

Also on the Waterford Utd theme, anyone there the night the new stand in the RSC was unofficially opened? Snow bucketing down, people just threw back the fencing to get into the stand, Milo Corcoran asking us all to get out of it on the PA and nobody budging. Coldest night ever but Pascal Keane still took off his shirt celebrating when we scored the winner....wouldn't mind he didn't even score it :D

Didn't a young Lee Sharpe score the 4th goal in the friendly game, it was the season where he made a name for himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

kfallon wrote: »

Also on the Waterford Utd theme, anyone there the night the new stand in the RSC was unofficially opened? Snow bucketing down, people just threw back the fencing to get into the stand, Milo Corcoran asking us all to get out of it on the PA and nobody budging. Coldest night ever but Pascal Keane still took off his shirt celebrating when we scored the winner....wouldn't mind he didn't even score it :D

I remember that night well. It was bloody bitter down there and some of us kept ourselves amused by throwing snowballs at people.

kensutz wrote: »
    I remember that night well. It was bloody bitter down there and some of us kept ourselves amused by throwing snowballs at people.

It's annoying me all morning about who got the winner, blonde haired centre forward who was ok, think he had a bit of a curly mop, Alan something????

kfallon wrote: »
    It's annoying me all morning about who got the winner, blonde haired centre forward who was ok, think he had a bit of a curly mop, Alan something????

James Carthy, i got it :D

Alan something, jaysus I was miles off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did that happen in Lismore Park too? I remember it happened outside my house in Hillview alright.

ha ha water rats what was this??

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Why is there so little coverage of the Kyle Curran case? I’d never heard of the case myself but between this thread and another article it’s the second time in the space of a week I’ve come across it, but literally nothing else on line. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff, and in an era where I find it hard to believe something like that could happen here.

I’m guessing his killer is free at this stage, can find very little online in that respect either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 balalika

The fire was in the factory across the road from Garrett a place called HP Chemie as far as I recall

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There was a fire in Garreth before the HP Chemie one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 balalika

Fair enough but the one in HP chemie is the one i remember. It was huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Adrift wrote: »
    Why is there so little coverage of the Kyle Curran case? I’d never heard of the case myself but between this thread and another article it’s the second time in the space of a week I’ve come across it, but literally nothing else on line. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff, and in an era where I find it hard to believe something like that could happen here.

I’m guessing his killer is free at this stage, can find very little online in that respect either.

That was horrendous. I remember my mother coming in and telling us that a boy had been murdered in Hillview. We were in Gracedieu, so just the other side of Carrickphierish, which was all fields then. The age we were (maybe 11 or 12, was it 1985 or 86?), we hadn’t any appreciation of the terror it caused our poor parents, or the devastation suffered by the family. Now that I’m in my late forties, I shudder at the thought.

Advertisement