Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly.

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭

6 months.

For a lolcat.

I assume Orestes is getting a 6 month ban too. Or else this is absolutely absurd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you posted longcat on Feedback and got banned for it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That particular incident was for posting 4-6 consequtive longcats. ie. Spamming. This was not. And I served my time dutifully for that ban.

You know that posting longcat on feedback is bad for your karma, you have been banned for it and you specifically ignored a Smods instruction to not post any more cat pics on that thread. You have been banned from Feedback 3 times previously. Honestly, long cat: again? Are you serious? Again?

Gordon wrote: »
    You know that posting longcat on feedback is bad for your karma, you have been banned for it and you specifically ignored a Smods instruction to not post any more cat pics on that thread. You have been banned from Feedback 3 times previously. Honestly, long cat: again? Are you serious? Again?
    3 times? I recall two. The third second you may be referring to was overturned. The first (longcat), then the third for trolling, a month. Which I again dutifully served.

6 months? are you serious? You'd swear I got drunk and killed a 16 year old.

If lolcats are such a scourge why don't you block images in Feedback. Why are others allowed to use lolcats?

I mean for 6 months I think I should at least be allowed to abuse a few people. Or kill someone in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Oh By The Way if theres a Mod Karma system in place I'd like to hear about it. Because that Wrongful Siteban I got off cult for mention Firefox Adblock+ in Feedback is going to count huge against it. And its not going to reflect my thousands of worthwhile contributions to the site.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I don't think catpics are helping. Let's leave them out, thanks :)
    Overheal wrote: »
    Never!
    /longcatpic/
    If you are asked, again, to not post catpics on feedback then please have the courtesy to do as you are told. Thanks.

About your thousands of worthwhile contributions: links or they sure as hell don't exist.

Your pardon, but Buffybot is not as far as I can see in either his profile or the Feeback Forum, a Feedback Moderator.

No more would I be expected or required to regard such a request of Nerin, or Terry, or GuanYin, or Thaedydal, if they had posted the same thing.

It wasn't an order. It didn't come from a Forum Moderator. And my response was in good humour. Believe me. I checked before posting to see if it was an order.

About your thousands of worthwhile contributions: links or they sure as hell don't exist.

Because of the Thanks System its hard to simply google "site:boards.ie thank you overheal" but thats where a great deal of it lay.

But also not to mention this, which you thanked not once, but thrice.

In AC's own words :)
    Well that's pretty much rendered the rest of this forum completely useless. Fair play, Overheal, I only wish this was here when I first started out on boards.

I can't say I appreciate your insinuation that I have been nothing but a leper here.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

3 times? I recall two. The third second you may be referring to was overturned. The first (longcat), then the third for trolling, a month. Which I again dutifully served.
    Three times: 1. Banned by Gordon for posting longcat; 2. Banned by DeVore; 3. Banned by DeVore (again) and; 4. Banned by Gordon (again) for posting longcat (again) after having been warned not to (again).
    6 months? are you serious? You'd swear I got drunk and killed a 16 year old.
    Throwaway comments like that are sickening. A 16-year-old boy lost his life and a man is in jail for it. Posting longcats and having your access removed from a webpage for a bit is not a scaleable analogy. Please retract that.
    If lolcats are such a scourge why don't you block images in Feedback. Why are others allowed to use lolcats?

I mean for 6 months I think I should at least be allowed to abuse a few people. Or kill someone in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    Why should we pander to people who can't learn a simple lesson?
    Oh By The Way if theres a Mod Karma system in place I'd like to hear about it. Because that Wrongful Siteban I got off cult for mention Firefox Adblock+ in Feedback is going to count huge against it. And its not going to reflect my thousands of worthwhile contributions to the site.
    There is no mod karma system, Gordon was speaking figuratively.
    Your pardon, but Buffybot is not as far as I can see in either his profile or the Feeback Forum, a Feedback Moderator.

No more would I be expected or required to regard such a request of Nerin, or Terry, or GuanYin, or Thaedydal, if they had posted the same thing.

It wasn't an order. It didn't come from a Forum Moderator. And my response was in good humour.
    You're right, he's not a Moderator, he's an Administrator. We can justifiably request that certain things are done in any forum. Because of the nature of Feedback, we're just more likely to do it there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Because of the Thanks System its hard to simply google "site:boards.ie thank you overheal" but thats where a great deal of it lay.

But also not to mention this, which you thanked not once, but thrice.

In AC's own words :)
    You're pointing to the very thing that says you should know better in order to copperfasten your case?

I can't say I appreciate your insinuation that I have been nothing but a leper here.
    No one's saying that, you've been thanked 1,000+ times. However, that's approximately 12% of your posts. While that's not bad by any means, it's hardly remarkable.

• Advertisement

Well you have been banned from Feedback by a Feedback Moderator for posting longcat, and you posted it again. So your logic doesn't account for that.

Incidentally, I completely bow to your superior fantastic help on that and any other help thread you have created, I thank you again and state that I am not worthy of that thread that you have taken the time over writing. A thousand thanks from the community go out to you. You seem to suggest thousands more: links or they didn't happen.

If you think that I am insinuating that you are a leper then you aren't reading my posts. I know that you aren't a leper here.

Three times: 1. Banned by Gordon for posting longcat; 2. Banned by DeVore; 3. Banned by DeVore (again) and; 4. Banned by Gordon (again) for posting longcat (again) after having been warned not to (again).

Banned by Gordon for Spamming. It just so happened to be the same cat. Several times.

The Second ban was Overturned by Devore.
    Throwaway comments like that are sickening. A 16-year-old boy lost his life and a man is in jail for it. Posting longcats and having your access removed from a webpage for a bit is not a scaleable analogy. Please retract that.
    Retracted. But I maintain my own defense that 6 months is an exorbitant length of time for posting a SFW image.
    Why should we pander to people who can't learn a simple lesson?
    Because you appear to have such a problem with it?
    You're right, he's not a Moderator, he's an Administrator.
    He's a Smod according to his profile. And not included on the list of Moderators in Feedback.

From where I sit I ignored a lighthearted request from a user I had no knowledge that they had authority over that forum. I don't feel 6 months is appropriate. Surely the post can be deleted and/or snipped and infracted and I can serve a shorter ban.

Because you appear to have such a problem with it?
    Correct.

By that logic there's nothing more to discuss seeing as you agree with the decision.

Well you have been banned from Feedback by a Feedback Moderator for posting longcat, and you posted it again. So your logic doesn't account for that.

Incidentally, I completely bow to your superior fantastic help on that and any other help thread you have created, I thank you again and state that I am not worthy of that thread that you have taken the time over writing. A thousand thanks from the community go out to you. You seem to suggest thousands more: links or they didn't happen.

If you think that I am insinuating that you are a leper then you aren't reading my posts. I know that you aren't a leper here.
    I know that was half in cheek, but my ego feels less bruised now.

We'll call it a few dozen and we'll leave it at the benefit of doubt...

I still maintain posting a longcat isnt why i was originally banned (even though, youre the one who banned me..) but rather because I posted 3, 4, or more of them within the same 1 or 2 posts, in the same thread. Even though as Im aware, the PM on the ban states the reason simply as "longcat" there was more to it than that. More of a reason of "longcat family". Which is why I feel 6 months is extreme.

Actual reason :
    2008-08-16, 2:05 pm Feedback Gordon Banned. longcat isn't welcome on feedback 7 Day(s)

Fair enough if you want to believe that 3 or 4 longcats were not welcome when you got banned after posting 3.5 longcats 9 months ago, that's cool..

But why did you post even ONE longcat now, when you had been banned for posting that image one baby creation ago?

For the record - if you post longcat on this site one more time I will personally take action on you, I will not necessarily leave it up to the forum moderator. You are not welcome to post that image on this site anymore. And that goes for any other image that could be construed as being large, inappropriate, annoying, or not to a certain level of satisfaction: that level of satisfaction/appropriateness being determined by me or the other Administrators or Smods.

funny-pictures-cat-asks-you-to-sign-a-contract.jpg

^ is this ok?

Will I run every image past you first then? Clearly your sense of whats reasonable is not aligned with mine, so how am I to be sure before posting an image whats inappropriate by your definition.

Correct.

By that logic there's nothing more to discuss seeing as you agree with the decision.
    No. I do see where you are coming from, but I however do not agree with the severity of the action taken.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I however do not agree with the severity of the action taken.

Considering that it's not your first ban from Feedback, how can you not?
    You ignored Buffy's warning.

Deep breaths Overheal.
    You contribute well to this site, just relax and let it go.

How severe would you prefer instead?

How severe would you prefer instead?
    I guess I'll wait till I have something important to add in feedback then bring it up again if that happens before 6 months.

Sleep does the brain good. My apologies Gordon. And Hullaballoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If I had of seen it first..well, you probably got off lightly.

Advertisement