Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Provider...

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am actually with BT on 3Mb option, and I want to upgrade to 7 Mb broadband or more... Unfortunately, BT didn't upgrade the KILCARN exchange which I'm connected to, so I can't avail of 24Mb :(

Now I want to get 7Mb with anytime calls to Ireland included, and there are a few options to choose from:
    1- BT Total Talk costing €67.23. (It offers free calls to UK but I don’t need that – unlimited download limit).
    2- Eircom family bundle €65.16 (it offers free access to Eircom WIFI Nationwide -very useful-, FREE Setanta Sports online, and 5 gig online storage, free calls to Meteor -don’t need that- 50G download limit)
    3- Vodafone Home € 59.00 (Cheapest, free 200 minutes to 3 Vodafone numbers -very useful- 30G download limit)
    4- NTL/Chorus : I wont deal with these cowboys anymore. Worse service ever.

I am interested in the Vodafone option, but I don't know how good their service is. (Is it really that Vodafone is using Perlico?) if Vodafone isn't the best which service is better Eircom or BT?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rikili wrote: »

I am interested in the Vodafone option, but I don't know how good their service is. (Is it really that Vodafone is using Perlico?) if Vodafone isn't the best which service is better Eircom or BT?

Thanks in advance,

Vodafone bought Perlico, essentially Perlico/Vodafone is no different to Eircom as its the same kit at the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rikili wrote: »
    I am actually with BT on 3Mb option, and I want to upgrade to 7 Mb broadband or more... Unfortunately, BT didn't upgrade the KILCARN exchange which I'm connected to, so I can't avail of 24Mb :(
    had the same problem as you mate, on the kilcairn exchange in johnstown too and eventually got fed up and bit the NTL bullet again, even after being burnt by them 3 times previously (sucker for punishment) as they are the best option locally for high speed broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Thanks Vibe666, but I wouldn't give a penny to those cowboys of NTL... I had so many troubles with them (especially with TV). They're the worst EVER customer service: Unpolite, THICK, never showed up after I had to take days off work for their engineer to visit, and they didn't even ring to cancel the visit!!! for me NTL is an ABSOLUTE NO...

I had a look at Smart Telecom, and their offer is not bad, but does any one know if there's any guarantees that they wouldn't go bust again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unfortunately, there's no guarantees that ANYONE won't go bust in the current financial climate. :(

good luck anyway. if Smart are available then I'd say go for them if you're not prepared to bite the NTL bullet again, but don't forget that they (NTL/UPC) have announced that they're rolling out 60mbps and 120mbps broadband by the end of this year, so they will continue to be the market leaders (yes, it makes me cry to even say it) in the broadband arena in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Have you looked at UTV? 7Mb and all calls to landlines for €56.45 with the first 3 months at €41.46. Free wireless modem. 20Gb cap - but for €5.99 extra a month you can get unlimited downloads. I'm with them and have had no problems (not 7Mb where I am ). Free off peak calls to UK is an added bonus.

https://new.utvinternet.com/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/option.asp?option=7&ROIUser=true

Advertisement