Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Savage weekend, hot shower time!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Good weekend overall. Eagles of Death Metal were great on Saturday as were Digitalism...wish I didn't bother with Kings of Leon, thought they were sh!t! Janes Addiction and NIN stole the show for me. NIN's gig was one of the best I've been to. Delighted I saw them before they finish!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The hot shower at the end of a festival weekend is soooo good.

Was there any tent burning/riots in the camp site last night, as has been typical at most of the Oxegen festivals? One of the many reasons I'll never camp again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Was there any tent burning/riots in the camp site last night, as has been typical at most of the Oxegen festivals? One of the many reasons I'll never camp again.

To be honest, I went in 07 and didn't go last year - and this year I could see a huge improvement in the organization of the entire event, especially the security around the campsites.

Didnt see any jeeps driving around the campsites in 07 - they were all over the place this year with Stewards at every corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

celticwe wrote: »
    Attachment not found.
    about 2 hour ago

Scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Scumbags.
    Who?!

EVERYONE at the festival? It looks much worse than it was...well maybe not but the weather made it a lot worse too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Bulldozer and a skip will sort that out.
    Nah...Scouting Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Twee. wrote: »
    Lack of fire is a good thing! The thing we were taught when I was security down there was how to put out a fire :pac:

And what fire extinguisher to use for what.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Scumbags.
    What cause of a bit of rubbish?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Scumbags.
    In fairness there were practically no bins in the campsites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Great weekend, am wrecked after it. Showered and in bed the last while now recovering. We went down early on the Thursday, so really were in for the long run. Had a few mishaps, tent floods, and an arrest (Not me though, and over an incredibly silly reason... nothing even illegal) but great fun, met some great folk as usual. VIP area was even more handy this year with all the rain, saved my clothes even more of a bashing than they'd have gotten.

Really enjoyed Blur (Though a lot of people didn't), Nick Cave, Squeeze, Of Montreal, NiN and Elbow.

Was quite annoyed with Camera Obscura's short set. Not sure of the full story, but noone in the band seemed happy going up there.

I also got to take a few photos from the main stage out onto the arena at about 11 in the morning, as well as some other backstage fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Andrew Hozier-Byrne on the IMRO New Sounds Stage was excellent. He's definitely one to keep an eye out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There was 1 big tent burned down in the Blue Camp where I was and it was pretty big. That was around 3 am last night.

BTW Killers were fúcking amazing!!!!

Saw a woman in the Heineken Tent who a couple of people I was with wanted to see. Regina Spektor is her name, her voice is incredible.

Also, that Xbox Live screen absolutley fúcked up my eye sight. Dazzling stuff

Roll on Oxegen 2010 babeh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Scumbags.

OMG..lol, I could swear they are lads I know locally. That picture is in blue camp at bottom of the hill near the big OXEGEN letters. Im nearly sure it is. If it is, they arent scumbags. All dead on actually but seriously drunk and they went to around 3 acts over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

garthv wrote: »
    Why are you shocked that you had to pay full price for your ticket?

YOU lost your money
    YOU lost your jacket
    YOU lost your phone

Sounds to me like you shouldn't be going to festivals in the first place.

Because a week before they were selling for a lot less. I just mentioned the fact that I had to pay full price in the end when everyone was thinking they would be selling for half noting. To be honest I think its crap that people lost money on tickets but I can't do anything about that. Im not really shocked because I know loads of people who were waiting til the last minute before getting them.

Anyway my phone and wallet were in my jacket, but it was obviously still my own fault. I didn't cause anyone else any harm anyway. Your right too though I do sound like someone who shouldn't be going, I guess I'll be better prepared next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Very interesting experience?!First time at oxegen?!was in the red campsite, we camped way too near the funfair, the thing went on till about half 4 in the morning?!Dont think ill be able to sleep tonight without the sound of funfair music:p
    Some lil bollix flattened my tent on the Sunday:eek:
    Oh, Anyone see the groups throwing stuff at each other across the campsite on Sunday morning, we were stuck in the middle!tins of beans flying everywhere!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

spudz21 wrote: »
    Oh, Anyone see the groups throwing stuff at each other across the campsite on Sunday morning, we were stuck in the middle!tins of beans flying everywhere!?

I saw that from where I was staying in R5, looked hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I hear Ladyhawke didn't go on stage in the end???

Was hoping we'd see her touring over here again in the nearish future. She doesn't strike me as somebody who should be playing festivals.

Crystal Castles live up to the hype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Not my best weekend ever - my tent was part of a fight that broke out in the Blue campsite while I was at Bloc Party. Nothing important damaged, but lots of clothes ripped etc.

Its a pity that so many people still think the odd fire or fight or underage drinker is okay. How little we expect. It really is a joke compared to some european festivals.

If the figure of 2million for security this year is true, I think its safe to say that that was the biggest waste of money since E-Voting.

Luckily the bands were AMAZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

just went for the day yesterday and ended up leaving early cos i got soaked and was wrecked after the springsteen concert the night before!!! thought gaga was a bit ****e and eccentric but i really really liked katy perry, thought she put on a great show and really interacted with the crowd which was great!!! white lies were savage too and the noisettes!!! whats the story with her climbing up the lighting tower feckin crazy:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Its a pity that so many people still think the odd fire or fight or underage drinker is okay. How little we expect. It really is a joke compared to some european festivals.

Generally people don't behave like that at European Festivals, they have respect for themselves and others. They don't even need a high level of supervision.

Sorry to hear about your stuff being damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

If You attended Oxegen 2009 check out the Oxegen youtube channel for photo montages and Videos from the Weekend!! www.youtube.com/oxegen and if you see yourself drop a comment!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fajitas! wrote: »
    t.

Was quite annoyed with Camera Obscura's short set. Not sure of the full story, but noone in the band seemed happy going up there.

Not sure what you're annoyed over, they were meant to play for 30mins, they did play for 30mins.

They were prob pissed at being on second last in the new bands stage when they like so many others on this stage are not new bands.

I will agree that they were a surly moany bunch and while they did play a decent set, they were incredibly ungrateful to the fans that did go watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

whats the story with the carparks being full?
    we bought a pass for the blue carpark but were told we had to go to goffs because the carparks were full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭camero

just got back from it best weakend in a long time
    got there on the Thursday and put up my tent was in the blue camp site then found out that my cousin was going up on Friday so he put up his tent be side my one .
    any way let me get on to the acts i got to see on the Friday
    dirty epics-great live bit off a let let with very faw there

the script-do not like then live I had to go see then because the gf and cousin wanted to see then
    snow patrol-great band put don't put on much of a show a bit show for then to get going
    keane-same as above

on the Saturday
    kings of leon-great band every thing was right with this show only thing which was wrong was there set list
    the saterdays- i like then maybe because they are all so sexy
    litte boots- great act she puts on a geart show
    bloc party- only there because the kings where on next but put on a good show

on the sunday
    the killers- great band this is my 4 time to see then thay naver get sick of there music
    you me at six-they where ok not a big fun off there music any way
    white lies- to me was the best show off the weakend
    katy perry-frist time to see her and i liked it was good in so many ways
    the thing things- 2nd time to see then geting bitter with each show

<snip>

lordgoat wrote: »
    Not sure what you're annoyed over, they were meant to play for 30mins, they did play for 30mins.

They were prob pissed at being on second last in the new bands stage when they like so many others on this stage are not new bands.

I will agree that they were a surly moany bunch and while they did play a decent set, they were incredibly ungrateful to the fans that did go watch them.

Ah it wasn't a full half hour they played for, not a hope. And aye, they came across being quite a surly moany bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Whopper weekend! everyone I saw put on a great show :D

And Lady GaGa was shoy! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Absolutely brilliant weekend. Haven't got a single complaint on the organisation, everything was spot on. Left the campsite at 11 this morning and was home in Dublin by 11:50.

I managed to see so much music, I was legging it around the place most of the weekend. Highlights for me:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - absolutely phenomenal show, everything about it was amazing. His stage presence is great, had me laughing so much. Musically they were incredible. A lot of bands were let down by a poor set up but for Nick Cave I could pretty much single out every instrument being played and could make out every word he said. Loved it. Shame about the turn out though, about 95% of people were at KoL. Nick Cave should have been a headline act at EP this year instead

Fever Ray - another small enough turn out but a brilliant eerie performance. She has an amazing live singing voice.

Foals - Probably the most energetic band there, really had the crowd going, loved them.

TV on the Radio - vocals were a little bit quiet but they still played a blinder

Passion Pit - transferred their sound over to live brilliantly, I can see these guys playing a bigger stage/tent next year.

VIP area - don't know what I'll do without these passes next year, it was such a nice place to go to chill out, especially when it was bucketing down outside. They also had a choice of beer besides heineken!

Our tent - realising that the tent we won in the phantom fm competition was stupidly big, to the point where we couldnt stop laughing while putting it up, it was insane.

Lowpoints:

Waiting 35 minutes for Florence and the Machine. I got bored and left

Blur - cant quite pinpoint what it was but they were just dissapointing for me.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - not really their fault but they were playing during one of the worst periods of weather and their sound was completely drowned out. Fair play to Karen O though, she was still giving it socks and enjoying herself.

Great weekend though, cant wait for EP now!

X-Calibre, I think I might have been talking to you in the campsite, or at least, I was talking to some of the lads that won tickets from Phantom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

X-Calibre wrote: »
    Waiting 35 minutes for Florence and the Machine. I got bored and left
    35 mins! We were there for 2 hours. More fool us I suppose :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement