Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I said that to someone and they said the pitch is nearly always half empty at concerts in Croker. They're not allowed to fill it due to the 'aul health and safety!

Good old Health and Safety ,how did civilisation and life survive for Billions of years without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

its funny - if you look at old footage of U2's show from Croker in 1987 - it was just wedged, but no one was hurt.

you could have fitted another 5,000 people easily to the floor tonight

No way could 80,000 have been there......??

Look at the Milan or Barcelona footage...pitch didn't look anything like empty

How was the atmosphere tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MMD wrote: »
    its fuuny - if you look at old footage of U2's show from Croker in 1987 - it was just wedged, but no one was hurt.

you could have fitted another 5,000 people easily to the floor tonight

No way could 80,000 have been there......

Look at the milan or barcelona footage...pitch didn't look anything like empty

The crowd are back to the mixing desk .
    The Mixing desk was near the back of the Nou Camp,Croke Park is a good 40 yards longer ,its a huge pitch.
    Still ,it looks bad to have such a huge space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Well Just back from my first U2 gig, wow!! An amazing night but yes I reckon there was about 70,000 in attendance,

One thing that shocked me was the price of tickets outside the Croke Park, Tickets going for a tenner!!! I was shocked, someone i was talkin to got 12 for 100EURO! anyone else see this? I bought a ticket off a lady trying to raise money for charity, I got one for 15 and just dumped it!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

just from looking at the pictures of the stand, why did they not put the stage down at the canel end?

seems to me to be a beter place for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

they had it at the Hill 16 end! thee pitch was really empty, half full! good night though, Ill go sat n mon night now an get the ppl sellin tickets for 10 euro! tons of them for pennies, shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

daylight concerts are a tragic waste, especially considering the set up they have, just look at the footage of later in the concert, they should have the irish ones in september, therea s period of good weather then too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Damien Dempsey was solid enough, went down well enough from what I could tell (I was on the pitch)

Glasvegas' sound was atrocious, coupled with the "cool" demeanour of the singer in particular meant it was a very forgettable set. Some decent songs but to be honest, the sound being so bad and the band not seeing bothered let it down.

U2 were good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 2005, which I think is purely a setlist issue. Not a massive fan of No Line on the Horizon, but I think any band opening with four new songs is running a risk of losing the audience early. Apart from that, their sound was very good, the majority of the songs went down very well. If I have to find further fault, it's that they don't really lend themselves to repeat business on a given tour because, with the lighting etc being cued etc and visuals for specific songs, they have a relatively rigid setlist (with some small room for changes), unlike someone like Bruce Springsteen who can play a song just because the mood takes him.

Still, impressive show and visuals, still not sold on the new album, but I don't think there'll be too many people left dissapointed by the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Driver 8 wrote: »
    unlike someone like Bruce Springsteen who can play a song just because the mood takes him.

exactly like U2 did tonight when they played Bad, which wasn't due to be played.

I said small room for changes. Springsteen had about a dozen different songs from Sat to Sun in the RDS, that's all i meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Driver 8 wrote: »
    I said small room for changes. Springsteen had about a dozen different songs from Sat to Sun in the RDS, that's all i meant.

Springsteen has a set list done up pre-gig like anyone else.

U2 play hit after hit after hit, Bruce doesn't, he plays a wide mix of the stuff from his albums.

It's not a competition :P And the first four songs were new songs tonight....and until the end of the world? mlk? ultraviolet? Wonderful songs, but hardly "hits". Of course Bruce has a set, but he also takes audience requests, and alters said set considerably from night to night. In Torino mid-week, there were 6 songs that hadn't been played on this tour at all yet.

Also, Bruce show time: 3hrs, 10 mins on the second night, 2 hrs 55 mins on the first, which does give an artist time to delve slightly further into their back catalogue.

Don't wanna drag this off topic...just explaining my observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It was a great gig.Was anyone else surprised that for "sunday bloody sunday" bono didn't once mention croke park?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭evolutionix

amazing night stage is spectacular, bad was great! Going to go again Monday. I need two standing tickets! Any offers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    One thing that shocked me was the price of tickets outside the Croke Park, Tickets going for a tenner!!! I was shocked, someone i was talkin to got 12 for 100EURO! anyone else see this? I bought a ticket off a lady trying to raise money for charity, I got one for 15 and just dumped it!

Yeah a tout offered me 5 quid for a front row ticket in section 706! Couldnt believe it. Only had the spare ticket cos a mate let me down. Managed to get 50 for a 90 quid ticket but i didnt care to much.

Gig was great. Here is a wee picture... hope it works

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Anyone get into the inner circle ?? How was the queueing?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Sorry if I haven't attached these right, never done it before! Hopefully they'll just appear as a link.

Anyway here are 4 from tonight for your enjoyment. I took over 180 :eek:

Cracking first pic.

Roll on tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

Good old Health and Safety ,how did civilisation and life survive for Billions of years without it.

too right, bruce ismay would agree with you when he didnt like the clutter of life boats all over the model of a ship being built for him...

his cash his choices right?

now what was its name, the tina, no the titan, no the tightnick, it'll come to me.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

NIBBS wrote: »
    from a couple of pics I saw there was tonnes of space on the pitch ????
    cant be right can it ? stage and setup looked class though........

QuadLeo - having the biggest setup doesnt necessarily set standards in Entertainment.......I'll see tomorrow :-)

There was similar space at the Vertigo concerts. Safety reasons I guess...

If you're situated anywhere near the stage area, it won't detract from your enjoyment, but I can see how it might be a blight on the view of someone in the Davin Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

daylight concerts are a tragic waste, especially considering the set up they have, just look at the footage of later in the concert, they should have the irish ones in september, therea s period of good weather then too

I would agree, but they seem set on Stadium concerts these days and Croker would be off-limit in September. Maybe when the new Lansdowne Road stadium is built?

At least this time around, the concerts are at the end of July. The Vertigo ones were the end of June - practically the longest days of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Wow what a concert!

If I was in ANY doubt about the red zone it disappeared rapidly as soon as I walked in.

I think we were lucky enough to have the best position in the stadium last night as the bridge always landed right beside us and we had the whole band down the ego ramp a few times.

The gig itself was fantastic although it took a while for the crowd and the band to warm up given the 3 or 4 new songs they opened with. That said the new album sounds waayy better live including an interesting remix of Crazy Tonight...

I'll try post a few more videos later..

If your thinking of going, get yourself a red zone ticket if you can.. worth every cent.. only problem now is i'll never enjoy another u2 gig again without it!

http://vimeo.com/5754839

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

free-man wrote: »
    Wow what a concert!

If I was in ANY doubt about the red zone it disappeared rapidly as soon as I walked in.

I think we were lucky enough to have the best position in the stadium last night as the bridge always landed right beside us and we had the whole band down the ego ramp a few times.

The gig itself was fantastic although it took a while for the crowd and the band to warm up given the 3 or 4 new songs they opened with. That said the new album sounds waayy better live including an interesting remix of Crazy Tonight...

I'll try post a few more videos later..

If your thinking of going, get yourself a red zone ticket if you can.. worth every cent.. only problem now is i'll never enjoy another u2 gig again without it!

http://vimeo.com/5754839

Please do post more videos because that one was the lowest part of the show for me, that version of crazy tonight is just a terrible dancy/pop type piece of crap.

Awesome show,awesome performance, U2 came on stage at 8:50 on the nose which caught an awfull lot of people out who were out at the bars etc.
    The stage and lights are out of this world,sound was also superb.

What summed up how good the show was for me was when total strangers sitting infront of us turned around and said "this is just unreal,its amazing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

NIBBS wrote: »
    I saw there was tonnes of space on the pitch ????
    cant be right can it ?

It's the same for any concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

It's amazing how far the sound carries from Croker on a quiet night. Could clearly hear everything Bono was saying/singing from Rathgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Heading off to Dublin in 5 minutes, so I don't have time to check the entire thread. Are cameras allowed in? I know there are some photos above but I'm not sure if they're camerphone photos? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

from a couple of pics I saw there was tonnes of space on the pitch ????

Nothing unusual about that, there are usually only about 30 people on the pitch and 80,000 in the stands... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

AFAIK cameras with removable lenses are not allowed in , no camcorders either. Regular "point and shoot" cameras are ok.

Im heading tonight...cant wait . I ony live up in Phiibsboro but we heard nothing of the gig, guess the wind was going the wrong way.

have a great night everyone and thanks to everyone who posted pics of last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Thanks for posted pics and feedback. So looking forward to monday's gig having read thrrough this thread. Anyone get to station in time for the DART? Last time I was at concert in Croke Park, I managed to miss it though I thought it didn't leave till 11.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's the same for any concert.

like I already said Mossy - I expect there to be space on the pitch for any stadium gig - but not that much, and from whats being said around it definitely wasnt full........it doesnt really matter - I'll be happy if it's the same tonight, and I would think the view from near the back will be pretty good, just in case I dont fancy the mill around up near the front.....

I'm a little surprised by the number of songs off the new album, but of course thats their business as they are touring it - very odd to open with 4 tracks off it, I always think they should mix new tracks in rather than risk a dead patch during a gig......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Jesus they were epic last night. The stage is something else. Still on a high from it!

Advertisement