Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone else purchased of these lads for €549?

http://www.fonezonline.com/product.php?id_product=67

They appear to be genuine and prepared to meet face to face to sell the goods if necessary. (I have no connection with them) and they accept Paypal.

My name is Ryan from www.FonezOnline.com,
    i have recently started selling mobile phones with a friend from mullingar, all our phones are cheap because we are sourcing the phones directly from the factories ourself. we have only started out 2 months ago and are finding it hard to get off our feet. advertising costs alot and at the minute our budget cant match all costs. you will see that we have advertised on www.donedeal.ie. We work of small margins on our phones to get off the ground. if anyone has any queries to try and test us go for it.
    if you would like to buy a phone, you can pick up in store(meet face to fae and buy) off me or my partner and pay cash, and that way you will see for yourself that we are no scam.
    my number is 0863331502 and my partners is 0861256327, i would be more than happy to talk. i will give you plenty of contacts that have already purchased from us and they can answer your questions.

thanks
    Just letting you know guys for you who are interested in the nokia N900 that it is now in stock.
    Payment can be processed by Paypal and Pay Cash & Collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Basically this is the problem I have:

When I go into app manage, I click on update. This takes about 5 mins to update but then I get the "some applications failed to refresh". So when i click in the application catalogues the maemo extras, extras testing and the extras devel repositories are all working fine, but the bottom two, namely "Nokia Applications and Nokia System Software updates" catalogues has the "failed to refresh" beside them with the (!) icon before it in red?

If i click either of these none working catalogues i get the catalogue details(which are filled in correctly) but at the bottom is some red text with "resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com"

Here is my log details:

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Anyone know whats going on? The only repository that works is the extras one. The other two don't :(

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

tell me what all the info under one of the repositores that dont work is(i.e Catalogue name, Web address, Distribution, Components)

from the log it says they both have .\packages

i believe this is Distribution and should just be .\

not sure if that is the reason why this is happening for you but might be.

Give it a shot without the 'packages' in it and let me know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thor wrote: »
    tell me what all the info under one of the repositores that dont work is(i.e Catalogue name, Web address, Distribution, Components)

from the log it says they both have .\packages

i believe this is Distribution and should just be .\

not sure if that is the reason why this is happening for you but might be.

Give it a shot without the 'packages' in it and let me know how it goes.

Ok, Nokia Application catalogue:

Catalogue Name: Nokia Applications
    Web address: https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/apps/
    Distribution: ./
    Components: "blank"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

damn thats perfect.

god i have no idea why you are still getting problems.

only thing is that its being blocked somehow. which makes no sense if the others work.

Thor wrote: »
    damn thats perfect.

god i have no idea why you are still getting problems.

only thing is that its being blocked somehow. which makes no sense if the others work.

Even the members over on maemo.org can't figure it out. I don't know what to do with it. Throw it back to nokia and/or throw it against a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

what are your wifi settings?
    does all aspects of your wifi usage work fine eg web browsing and messanger services etc?

did this work before but not now?
    if so what did you change or add or remove.

i suggest going back to the basic default app manager settings and repositories. then step by step through it.

have your tried it on a different wifi network?

smegheadz wrote: »
    what are your wifi settings?
    does all aspects of your wifi usage work fine eg web browsing and messanger services etc?

did this work before but not now?
    if so what did you change or add or remove.

i suggest going back to the basic default app manager settings and repositories. then step by step through it.

have your tried it on a different wifi network?

It never worked from the start as in the nokia app and nokia software repositories! I have not tried it on a different wifi network. I don't use any messenger services or email services. The web browsing is working fine and never had any problems with it.

If you look at a few posts earlier in this thread, you will see the steps i took in relation to DNS settings...in which they did not help this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    I used the search box and nothing came up, how odd. It works out €40 cheaper from the UK site, will they post it to Ireland still? If clove got their act together and got stock I'd get it from them, either that or fonezonline when I hear back from the other poster.

Well Alanstrainor, I'm about ready to take the plunge, when are you getting yours?! :pac:

I want this phone bad, but i think i'm gonna hold out for a while. Below 500 would be the sweet spot...I'll wait for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Maybe Clove will get their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I want this phone bad, but i think i'm gonna hold out for a while. Below 500 would be the sweet spot...I'll wait for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Maybe Clove will get their stock.

Yeah I notice clove moved their stock date from end of January 2010 now it's February 2010. I wonder when they'll get it.

It is now the most expensive handset I've ever bought.. Just couldn't wait any longer..I'm selling a few other things to soften the blow and putting it on the credit card. :P

I found that I had difficulty getting IM and things set up on the N770, I was using Pidgin for a while but it was hit and miss. Think Pidgin was replaced by something else though, hoping that the N900 really is a lot more stable and powerful than it's predecessor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

When I go into app manage, I click on update. This takes about 5 mins to update but then I get the "some applications failed to refresh". So when i click in the application catalogues the maemo extras, extras testing and the extras devel repositories are all working fine, but the bottom two, namely "Nokia Applications and Nokia System Software updates" catalogues has the "failed to refresh" beside them with the (!) icon before it in red?

If i click either of these none working catalogues i get the catalogue details(which are filled in correctly) but at the bottom is some red text with "resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com"

Here is my log details:

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Anyone know whats going on? The only repository that works is the extras one. The other two don't :(

Can you access those links from your web browser on your phone?

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/apps/./Packages

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/002/./Packages

When you try to get them you should get an "Access Denied" message like
    Access Denied
    You don't have permission to access "http://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/002/Packages" on this server.

Reference #18.253644d8.1262861290.8435d18

But it at least means that you have network access to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seems like a lot of people are desperately close to buying it, but not quite.

if i was that desperate i'd be very tempted by the US Dell offer i posted yesterday morning and I'd be making friends with as many Americans as i could to get a delivery address. :D

oh, and i think you need a US credit card too, doesn't look like they'll accept payment any other way. :(

but if you could pull it off, €333 for an n900 would be the bargain of the year. you could almost afford to fly over and pick it up yourself for that price.

anyone would think i'm on commission or something! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

@Four of a Kind: Did you use the exact DNS settings that were in Tzetze’s reply or did you get your own DNS settings from your router? It might not help, but it’s worth trying to use your own, at least to eliminate that -

On a Windows XP machine,
    Click Start > Run > type in cmd > type in ipconfig/all

Take your DNS settings from there, and then follow the same steps from Tzetze’s reply

vibe666 wrote: »
    €333 for an n900 would be the bargain of the year. you could almost afford to fly over and pick it up yourself for that price.

Vibe - it works out at $520 after sales tax is added so you are talking more like €365 - and another €20 in fees if you want to paypal the money over to someone so that they can buy it for you...still good though..but given warranty and anything else that could go wrong I'm dithering...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Here is my log details:

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I get this aswell, and I ignor it. It comes from the testing repos. sometimes they update and sometime they dont. (mostly not) Then this monday all the updates came through when I was in work via a guest wlan.

EDIT
    Cool, found the reason why one of my repos was failing! typo! (although I never entered these details, there was a mistake)
    should be:
    Application manager –> Application catalogs –> New
    Catalog name: Maemo Extras-devel
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
    Distribution: fremantle
    Components: free non-free

and i had
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extra-devel/
    Distribution: fre

still getting error 404...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Vibe - it works out at $520 after sales tax is added so you are talking more like €365 - and another €20 in fees if you want to paypal the money over to someone so that they can buy it for you...still good though..but given warranty and anything else that could go wrong I'm dithering...

Amazon.com are currently charging $550, but up until NYE that came with a $50 rebate. So add sales tax, and you're probably around the Dell price. Hopefully Nokia issue a new rebate once the old offer expires tomorrow, as you might have more luck with using an Irish credit card there.

EDIT - Oh, there isn't any US equivalent of a 3V card that would be acceptable to Dell is there? A quick google brought up things like Obopay and top1card but I've no idea if it would be accepted, or how safe those sites are.

It never worked from the start as in the nokia app and nokia software repositories! I have not tried it on a different wifi network. I don't use any messenger services or email services. The web browsing is working fine and never had any problems with it.

If you look at a few posts earlier in this thread, you will see the steps i took in relation to DNS settings...in which they did not help this issue.

It could be possible that your ports being blocked by your router. I don't know what the default port is that it's using, if it's http or is it a custom port. but i highly suggest you test this on another internet connection. even just use 3g for 5mins as a test and someone elses wifi if need be. At the moment we dont know if it's your n900 or your wifi. once we know which it is then we can figure it out, so test it at 2 or 3 other wifi points. test it with 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My N900 is shipping, next day delivery. Ordered last night, hope it gets here tomorrow.

i had a nokia 15% discount code. instead of €554.70 it cost €471.50 but i didn't have any money at the time :(

i had a nokia 15% discount code. instead of €554.70 it cost €471.50 but i didn't have any money at the time :(

I think that was the nokia staff xmas offer which anyone could use.. wish i knew about it earlier as it is expired now..

any bricks and mortar selling the n900 yet? i'd nearly go and buy the damn thing now!

@Four of a Kind: Did you use the exact DNS settings that were in Tzetze’s reply or did you get your own DNS settings from your router? It might not help, but it’s worth trying to use your own, at least to eliminate that -

On a Windows XP machine,
    Click Start > Run > type in cmd > type in ipconfig/all

Take your DNS settings from there, and then follow the same steps from Tzetze’s reply

I used the one's that Tzetze gave me in the messege above? I typed in that ipconfig/all command and I got a load of different info, but I did'nt see any Primary or secondary IP address????

I also could not get access from my N900 browser to the two websites that the poster up above asked me to check.

• Advertisement

It could be possible that your ports being blocked by your router. I don't know what the default port is that it's using, if it's http or is it a custom port. but i highly suggest you test this on another internet connection. even just use 3g for 5mins as a test and someone elses wifi if need be. At the moment we dont know if it's your n900 or your wifi. once we know which it is then we can figure it out, so test it at 2 or 3 other wifi points. test it with 3g.

I've tried to go on the internet using my o2 IE interent connection, but it keeps saying connection failed.

Maybe I don't have the correct settings set up on the N900 to enable me to use the WAP?

I used the one's that Tzetze gave me in the messege above? I typed in that ipconfig/all command and I got a load of different info, but I did'nt see any Primary or secondary IP address????

I also could not get access from my N900 browser to the two websites that the poster up above asked me to check.

One of the settings in that list you see should be “DNS Servers...”(it won’t say primary or secondary), take those 2 numbers and use the first one as your Primary DNS and the second as your Secondary DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Using the wireless at home get net ok. But on 02 PAYG and it wont connect? Do I need to change anything on settings or somewhere to get 02 IE Internet connection?

here's an example of what you should get with ipconfig /all
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *********
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ***********.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ***********.com
    ***********.com

Ethernet adapter Corporate Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ***********.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Con
    nection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.18.35.48
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.18.***.***
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.18.***.***
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.18.***.***
    172.18.***.***

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.18.***.***
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.18.***.***

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:57:26 A
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 15, 2010 9:57:26 AM

H:\>

i had to *** out some details as i'm on the work network.

what exactly came up when you put the link into the web browser? can you copy and paste it. are you in the dublin area this weekend at all?

Using the wireless at home get net ok. But on 02 PAYG and it wont connect? Do I need to change anything on settings or somewhere to get 02 IE Internet connection?

i'd log in on the O2 site and get the settings for your phone, if their like meteor they should txt you out the config or have it on the website. Failing that ring them up and ask them for the data settings.

One of the settings in that list you see should be “DNS Servers...”(it won’t say primary or secondary), take those 2 numbers and use the first one as your Primary DNS and the second as your Secondary DNS.

I only get one number for DNS Servers.......192.168.1.254

Also that number also appear beside "Default Gateway" and "DHCP Server"

There's a Subnet Mask number......255.255.255.0

and a IPv4 Address........192.168.1.1(preferred)

I'm using win 7 x64 bit....would that change anything?

Other than that there are no other IP style numbers in there?

matrim wrote: »
    Can you access those links from your web browser on your phone?

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/apps/./Packages

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/002/./Packages

When you try to get them you should get an "Access Denied" message like

But it at least means that you have network access to them.

Here's what came up when I entered the first of these addresses, exactly as you have it above:

Screenshot-20100107-153452.png

Another way to do it is to connect directly to the router - open a browser and type in your router's ip address in the address - looks like yours is 192.168.1.254

I have an Eircom router and it shows the 2 DNS' on that first page, but they should be easy enough to find it on any router setup page

Another way to do it is to connect directly to the router - open a browser and type in your router's ip address in the address - looks like yours is 192.168.1.254

I have an Eircom router and it shows the 2 DNS' on that first page, but they should be easy enough to find it on any router setup page

Ok, I got the primary and secondary DNS numbers from this method. I'll not go back and set these figures on my N900 and see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

AFAIK, the sales tax depends on where in the US you ship it to, some places you could pay up to 20% in state & local sales taxes, but in other states there are no sales taxes at all. I'm pretty sure with online ordering the destination of the item will dictate what sales tax (if any) would be charged.

of course I'm open to correction as always, i may just be misunderstanding it, but a quick google did find this which might be of use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#State_by_state_sales_taxes

Advertisement