Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dolphins near rossbeigh beach

• 26-07-2009 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

i was in kerry for a few days this week and on Friday evening (while eating my dinner looking out the window)I saw what looked like dolphins flipping through the water very near the coastline on rossbeigh beach.I wasnt sure if it was purpoises or dolphins so looked it up online today and I really think from the descriptions of the nose difference and the fin shape that it was dolphins. I was lucky enough to get photos.. though I was taking them from our holiday home. Would love an opinion on here as to what you think they are...
    How do you upload photos? I was using a canon 400 digital SLR and fortunately had the camera set at a large size so i can zoom in digitally, I know the file is very large
    I know dingle bay is famous for FUNGI .. but this was so close to the coastline and very near the beach.. how close do they come in ?
    It was an absolutely amazing sight and really made the holiday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

According to the IWDG website sightings of bottlenose dolphins at Rossbeigh are not unusual. 35 animals seen 25/5/09. Your sighting will appear shortly. 250 common dolphins off slea head last week also.
    www.iwdg.ie
    Check the date you saw them, then use the interactive map to confirm if anyone else saw them same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

thats a great website, thanks for that.. I will upload a photos as son as I figure out how to do it :o. it was late in the evening, not that long before sunset and I was observing from a height as our holiday home was up a hill.. so we had a great view. i could see people on the beach looking as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

heAttachment not found.IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

let me know if you can see these pics..as I am not sure what I am doing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

At a glance I'd say common dolphin.
    http://www.iwdg.ie/species_profiles.asp?speciesID=2254
    In your second photo, the markings are very obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

great shots.....well done

• Advertisement
Advertisement