Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

Hi Folks,

I'm not into engines or things like that and I am a bit blown away at the details and options given in this thread - but hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can help me out.

I am looking for a ride on to cut approx. 1/2 acre with a bit of a hill in one spot. I am the kind of lad that will probably not take as much care either driving it or servicing it as I should.

I have seen a Husgavarna LT125 for sale - it is approx. 6 years old and it looks to be in fairly good condition for its age - the dealer is looking for €900 and it will be fully serviced and tidied up before sale.

The one thing that caught my eye was the fact that it seemed to have a industrial/commercial engine (it was just used to cut a normal lawn - or so I am told anyway).

Looking for some comments / thoughts please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

scan wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm not into engines or things like that and I am a bit blown away at the details and options given in this thread - but hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can help me out.

I am looking for a ride on to cut approx. 1/2 acre with a bit of a hill in one spot. I am the kind of lad that will probably not take as much care either driving it or servicing it as I should.

I have seen a Husgavarna LT125 for sale - it is approx. 6 years old and it looks to be in fairly good condition for its age - the dealer is looking for €900 and it will be fully serviced and tidied up before sale.

The one thing that caught my eye was the fact that it seemed to have a industrial/commercial engine (it was just used to cut a normal lawn - or so I am told anyway).

Looking for some comments / thoughts please.

what engine is in it? exactly? make/brand/model and horsepower?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

Here's a pic of engine -hope it helps.

Attachment not found.

it's a Briggs and Stratton, you'll be grand......one of the worlds best engines there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Anyone any feedback on Loncin engines - 6.5Hp OHV

I'm about to purchase this - unless someone has advise to the contrary?

• Advertisement

Anyone any feedback on Loncin engines - 6.5Hp OHV

I'm about to purchase this - unless someone has advise to the contrary?

Chineese SH!T .........avoid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loncin_Holdings,_Ltd

rule of thumb buying a mower, it's got to have a Briggs and Stratton, Honda, yamaha or Kawasaki engine....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

@MidlandsM -thanks for the warning. I'm looking for a mower with foldable handles - that folds easily into a compact unit (have no shed - so have to store in the house). That was the only reason I was considering that one.

Is there any reputable 'mower (smallest cutting width around for a petrol mower would be fine - and dont need power-drive) that has this functionality - and does the basics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Oh, and for the record, Briggs engines are ok, but I would always go for kawasaki and Honda, lots of people would not be in favour of briggs nowadays.

The brand tecumseh used to be good but dont even know if they are still going

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Anyone any feedback on these(MCCULLOCH 40CM 15.7" PETROL LAWNMOWER (M40-125))http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/McCulloch-40cm-157-Petrol-Lawnmower-M40125/18706/4.0.0#.UfkZ0jvvh8E in Woodies at the moment. From reading other threads and speaking to 2 dealers on the phone today there is a lot of negatively towards lawnmowers sold in Woodies. Have a small lawn and small shed for storage.

• Advertisement

Cheap, small, should last five years or so don't know anything specific about them as I only use pro mowers but then a lot of that is because I am also a pro user.

Maybe an electric or battery one would do you better if it is a small garden.....quieter and cheaper to run no petrol and no servicing. Bosch would appear to do some good electric ones.

Have fairly much ruled out electric though I was very tempted. Looking at the current weather and thinking about the trees and plants to be negotiated around I am siding with petrol.....for the moment......

Have fairly much ruled out electric though I was very tempted. Looking at the current weather and thinking about the trees and plants to be negotiated around I am siding with petrol.....for the moment......

A battery/cordless won't be affected by the weather. And they are much lighter and easier to manoeuvre.

Do they struggle in damper/longer grass conditions? Costs going up a bit too. Was thinking the €250 would get me there.

Hi Super,

I hadn't realised the battery version of the Bosch was quite so expensive.

In that case go for the petrol.

Update on my previous posts. Bought the MCCULLOCH 40CM. Doesn't like too much grass as it struggles to blow back the grass into the box but once you are cutting once a week it works away fine. Perfect for the smallish lawn.

That's good to hear Superhooper,

Are you keeping all of the air vents clear in the grass box? It is very important for the airflow as that is what the collection relies on, just a stiff brush and a wash now and again.

And yes regular cutting is vital.

Glad you are enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Hi,
    I need some help with regard to Honda 2417HM mower. I have had this for a 5 years now and each year I service and clean it up. Usually remove the cutting deck and give it a good clean etc.

Putting it back together last night I realised I did something I shouldnt have, which was to change the position of the nuts on the two front connecting rod pins. See the picture http://i44.tinypic.com/2a9pd81.jpg

It blantantly says not to do this in the manual and I don't know why I did, only realised I did it on re-assembly. Never did this before.

Could someone who has one of these mowers please measure the distance outlined in the picture and let me know the distance please. I assume both sides are the same.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

It pays to shop around, just bought a new Kubota G26 and saved €1500 by buying from Clarke's in Cavan, great deal free blades and 1st service thrown in, I could have saved a bit nore by going to Derry but that would be misery if I had a problem....Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Does anyone know anything about robotic lawnmowers,mate of mine has one and swears by it.They would be a perfect solution for my situation if they any good!

• Advertisement

shrek008 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about robotic lawnmowers,mate of mine has one and swears by it.They would be a perfect solution for my situation if they any good!
    Expensive toy, batteries are not cheap either....best one on the market is made by Stepford comes in various models and can do more than cut grass !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rebelontour

Hi,

I am looking for a lawnmower to cut about a half an acre. The one I was using has packed in (Mountfield 45 years old!) I don't fancy a ride on but am looking for something that is reliable and with a good cut. Due to inheriting the Mountfield I have not had to look before so am completely in the dark! Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

A friend asked me about Husqvarna mowers and I came across this Gem of a site.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/husqvarna.html

All USA based though so I tend to take those with a pinch of salt, also volume of sales/defects comes into play.

With respect if you are in the USA or Ireland and you are sold a "Lemon" it still tastes the same.

Lol, with respect I was referring to percentages of volume.

If in the USA they sell 100,000 and 1% are bad then that's a thousand broken mowers. In ireland let's say they sell 1000 then 1% bad is 10 unhappy customers.

Volume, numbers, numbers, volume. It's all relative. Depending on what you are looking for I could find a whole host of people who either love it or have had problems.

That sounds like a marketing mans mantra ! volume, numbers, remember each one is an individual or to be more precise a customer (a rather endangered species) and it would be more in their interest to have a HAPPY customer, but then as you say "its hard to please everyone".

You'll believe what you want to, nothing I say will change that, the point I made is a valid one but hey ho.

Shall I say well agree to disagree....And buy a goat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

does anyone have any experience regarding a castel garden XHX 240. Its from their semi pro range and intended to cut 5-7 acres of level well drained grass in a private garden/lands around a friends property in the country.
    The manufacturer is well recommended but I wanted to get any feedback on the specific model before he jumps in and buys one!

Advertisement