Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Service Provider?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

We applied for permission to build an extension and re jig our house in Dublin recently (it has since been approved). We were snowed under with the usual postal spam and they were mostly one off contacts from builders but one company in particular seem to have no end of paper as they send us something once a fortnight. The latest one introduces a sister company and the package they offer is
    1. A step by step guide to achieve an optimum energy rating
    2. Recommendations for building materials, insulation, windows & doors, ventilation, heating systems and controls.
    3. A suitable study of renewable technologies and their effect on the BER inncluding solar panels, heat pumps, heat recovery ventilation, wind turbines etc.
    4. Estimated running costs before and after the improvements.
    They then offer on page 6 of their correspondence
    A. Low energy design specification tailored to suit your specific energy requirements
    B. Mortgage facilities.
    C. Detailed construction drawings and energy specifications
    D. Valuation report prior to commencement for mortgage purposes
    E. Stage payment certificates for mortgage purposes
    F. Final valuation report on completion of the dwelling for mortgage purposes
    G. Final certificate of compliance with building and planning regulations
    H. Air tightness test report
    I. BER certificate on completion
    J. Construction from start to completion to the highest possible standard.
    K. 10 year structural guarantee from Homebond.
    They then appended a page showing 2 BER certs from their sister company (I wont mention the name but youve all heard of them I think). This page quotes associated costs and projected savings gained by the effect of the "***** (sister company's name) Low Energy Design Specification."
    Am I wrong or does this not smell right?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

It just gives me the creeps that someone can spec, design, build, inspect and self certify work then issue a before and after BER cert. Maybe I am wrong to be creeped out but to my mind this appears dangerous.

There are lots of companies out there offering "eco upgrades" with before and after BER. If you take your argument to its logical conclusion you will end up pointing the finger at them, and ultimately at self certifying architects too.
    I wouldn't rock the boat too much though, or some of the other passengers may want to throw you overboard.
    See this similar thread;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055596951

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SilverBER wrote: »
    It just gives me the creeps that someone can spec, design, build, inspect and self certify work then issue a before and after BER cert. Maybe I am wrong to be creeped out but to my mind this appears dangerous.

you are right to be concerned... theres no third party confirmation thats what being done is as contracted.....

theres a reason most mortgages require third party certification....

Attachment not found.
    I don't know whether this attachment will work or not. It's an email from the SEI HES scheme where they are highlighting quality issues with regard to attic insulation installed under the grant scheme by installers. These are installers who have been 'selected' based on some pretty iffy pretexts by SEI. These installers are, in effect, self certifiers and specifiers and they cant even install attic insulation to a predetermined standard. They either genuinely don't know what they are doing or know what they are doing and tried to get away with it.
    Whichever it is it is scary. I doubt if SEI inspect every job so I wonder how many have got away with it.
    Taking this as an example (I could give others such as a plumber I met recently who is on the HES scheme for installation of insulations who didnt know how to work out a wall uvalue) I think its extremely dodgy for someone to employ anyone to self certify, spec and design work. I think an independent architect should be employed and independent surveyors, assessors and contractors. You cannot have a one stop shop and expect a decent job.

• Advertisement

Can you try "copy and paste " the text of the e-mail into your post ?
    I'm interested in seeing it for the laugh.

31st August 2009

Dear Contractor,

Based on the last 100 inspections carried out under the HES scheme, attic insulation work has been highlighted as an area with a number of quality issues.
    Below are the top 4 issues recorded during these inspections that needed to be addressed/reworked by contractors:
    • Cold water tank insulation jacket not installed
    • Header tank insulation jacket not installed
    • Attic pipe work not insulated
    • Attic hatch insulation not installed or not installed to standard

Please ensure that you and your team carry out attic insulation work as per the HES Contractor Code of Practice paying particular attention to the above issues.

Regards,

The HES Team

Advertisement