Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up wireless network and Belkin G-Wireless router

Options
  • 14-08-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello
    I hope I've opened this thread in the correct area.

Recently got a Belkin G-Wireless router/modem and have tried to set it up with my eircom broadband service. However after plugging the required sockets and cables as per the instructions and launching the installation software from the CD, I was requested to enter a number of details such as VLN. I've contacted my ISP via email but have not got any response, due, I suspect, to the fact that they do not appear to support anything other thant he modems/routers they support.

I don't know where to get this information. Would anyone have come across this before and know where I should look?

Also, I'm not very technical and would like to ensure that the wireless network is as secure as a technically-clueless individual like myself can make it. I have read that WEP is good encryption facility. Have you any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Kind Regards
    Cormb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have you still got the old modem? You will need to ring them to get your username and password if you dont have the piece of paper from eircom that outlines it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

The information above from the Eircom web site is what you need to get the modem 'section' of the Belin working.

There is no need for an installation disc - just access the belkin put in those settings then head to the wireless section - name your network - choose wpa for security not wep - choose a good password - save the settings and the job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cormb

excellent folks, thanks. I'll try that. :)

@Dub45 - do you believe WPA to be a better/more secure encryption method than WEP? Or is it just the only option when following those steps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cormb wrote: »
    excellent folks, thanks. I'll try that. :)

@Dub45 - do you believe WPA to be a better/more secure encryption method than WEP? Or is it just the only option when following those steps?

Its not just me believing - its a fact. There are a zillion posts on boards about the weakness of wep.

http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=wep+weakness&meta=lr%3D&aq=0&oq=wep+weakn

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cormb

dub45 wrote: »
    Its not just me believing - its a fact. There are a zillion posts on boards about the weakness of wep.

http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=wep+weakness&meta=lr%3D&aq=0&oq=wep+weakn

Excellent - I see what you mean (I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, it was more a poorly worded expression of my curiousity :) )

Thanks for everyones help and time with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement