Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom braodband problem

Options
  • 02-09-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hello, has anyone ever heard of any problems concerning eircom broadband. I live in Co Donegal and I did a line check on my line, it said we were unable to receive line broadband. However I checked the lines of my neighbours and they could all receive the broadband connection on their phone line. We telephoned Eircom about this and we were told that, we would never be able to receive broadband on our phone line. mad.gif Eircom doesn't do line upgrades either so now we're stuck without getting line broadband in our house, meanwhile the rest of our village can get it confused.gif. This also stops us from going to other companies to get the other broadband deals, because Eircom must put broadband on your line before they can do it. The nearest house to us is 100 meters away and they can get it. Why is a single house who has been a customer for + 15 years and always paid there bill on time being treated like this.

If anyone has had the same experience please reply..

thanks inch biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

You might get a more expert opinion/response for your problem if you post in the Broadband forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259. I know that when I looked for broadband from Eircom a number of years ago I was told no way but UTV online checker said my line was suitable. I chanced ordering it and it was fine, but it really shouldn't have been because all the lines are Eircom :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inchmca

thanks for that,

ill definitly try this, i never thought about UTV as i was planning on going to perlico and there broadband deal.

inchmca :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 declan70

hi had the same problem ,your probably on a split line and wont carry bb,if you order a new line (there free at the moment)tell the engineer u have to bb on it or its no good to you,he should get you a line capable of broadband,(he did for me ),once you got it cancell your old line and switch your number over to your old number,all sorted ,it worked for me ,hope it works for you
    inchmca wrote: »
    hello, has anyone ever heard of any problems concerning eircom broadband. I live in Co Donegal and I did a line check on my line, it said we were unable to receive line broadband. However I checked the lines of my neighbours and they could all receive the broadband connection on their phone line. We telephoned Eircom about this and we were told that, we would never be able to receive broadband on our phone line. mad.gif Eircom doesn't do line upgrades either so now we're stuck without getting line broadband in our house, meanwhile the rest of our village can get it confused.gif. This also stops us from going to other companies to get the other broadband deals, because Eircom must put broadband on your line before they can do it. The nearest house to us is 100 meters away and they can get it. Why is a single house who has been a customer for + 15 years and always paid there bill on time being treated like this.

If anyone has had the same experience please reply..

thanks inch biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

I recently got tooken of the carrier line but it only carries 1MB. I want to get more than that. the enginner came to the house and teold me it would take a few hours but he didn't do the work at the house but at the exchange and down the road a bit. Is my line quality crap is that why i cani get more than 1mb.
    my neighbour's who my line is connected to gets 7mb.
    i live just 1 min over the road.

i think your line needs updating ,as mine only carries 1mb aswell,but the engineer said he would put mine on the list for updating and it would take 2 month or so.

• Advertisement

declan70 wrote: »
    i think your line needs updating ,as mine only carries 1mb aswell,but the engineer said he would put mine on the list for updating and it would take 2 month or so.

Who do I speak to? i asked eircom i needed faster broadband but won't do nothing. would it be my line out at the pole?

thats the hard part ,did he say your line needed upgrading,its hard too get on the list .could be the line after your neighbours house is in need of upgrading.all yo can do is if your see an engineer stop and chat to him,might meet a nice one who will help,phonine eircom is no good but they can tell you if your line is on the list for upgrading,best of luck

thats the hard part ,did he say your line needed upgrading

I was on carrier line at the start. so i ordered a new line and line and the guy came and said i will get you a direct line to exchange.

The way he did it was something at the exchange and a few mins over the road connected me to spare pairs.

He never done nothing out at my pole.

People saying copper is copper.
    I don't understand that my neighbour's can get 7MB. my line goes along there house on the same line.

I spoke to Eircom guy and he says I got you broadband and you still no happy. I'm not happy cos its only 1MB. I need a bit faster.

all i know is my new line will only take 1 mb but the engineer said the line needs upgrading for more,must be the line is old after your neigbours.eircom dont want to upgrade line cant afford it they say,check if your on the list for upgrading by phoning eircom,and hope you are or your stuck with 1mb for a long while,sorry to say.i was waiting 5 years to get this far,

all i know is my new line will only take 1 mb but the engineer said the line needs upgrading for more,must be the line is old after your neigbours.eircom dont want to upgrade line cant afford it they say,check if your on the list for upgrading by phoning eircom,and hope you are or your stuck with 1mb for a long while,sorry to say.i was waiting 5 years to get this far,

I checked my line on sunday night on eircom.ie and it displayed 3MB and 7MB and so i ordered 7MB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

inchmca wrote: »
    thanks for that,

ill definitly try this, i never thought about UTV as i was planning on going to perlico and there broadband deal.

inchmca :)

Will not matter. It is not the ISP it is the line which eircom owns.

I fall into the same problem, I live in an area where the lines are split between the few people living in my area. Eircom owns the line, sometimes they are upgraded or a new exchange is put in if there is enough houses in your area or if enough new homes are built in your area. It is unfortunate that someone 100 meters away gets it and you don't. What is the connection speed your neighbour gets?

Eircom told me the same thing - No BB ever which sucks as I am a software engineer that cannot work from home because of it.

But there is very little you can do about it if the physical line is split which I bet it is, it would not be cost effective for them to have devoted line if you are far from the exchange.

Advertisement