Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Thought I said that?:rolleyes:
    mine was the step by step for the DNS Dummies:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

kurisu wrote: »
    So if we are all switching DNS what exactly eircom doing other than taxing us for using 40 year old wires?

DNS is only a function for changing Server IP names(Domain Name System)

So instead of typing in numbers, you enter www.google.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

wtf is going on at Eircom? How can this be happening to them again and again?? They are the Fianna Fail of ISPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

lol just noticed that targeted advert for eircom displaying at the bottom of the page, do any of you know if its pay per click advertising?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

So basically DNS is your internet translator?

And Eircom's translator sometimes goes on drinking binges which leaves the translator hardly able to remember their own language, never mind a second? heh

• Advertisement

whoopsie, i was under the wrong impression it was routing stuff to and from my broadband modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

from windows go to internet settings and change the dns
    or
    go into modem settings

go to connection settings
    enter dns

Thanks so much for this my internet seems to be running faster now!! Is there any down side to whatever the hell ive just done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I have a 7mb BB connection, I play online games like BF2/COD4 etc etc heres my issue, I used to have the 1mb bb about 1yr ago, my ping in game was always 25-30ms, now with the 7mb my ping is 60-70ms, you might not think its that much but it is a big differance. Any ideas on how to explain that to eircom ??

When I download something its ok, just playing games I have horrid lag, its not my system which I know inside out. Any feed back welcome !

Speed 7168/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 8/5 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Please say a prayer for us Tech support folk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Please say a prayer for us Tech support folk :pac:

muhahahahahahaha

• Advertisement

Hynzie wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this my internet seems to be running faster now!! Is there any down side to whatever the hell ive just done?

Nope, except your now more secure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

The company seems to be teetering on the verge of collapse. The ownership has changed hands something like five times since it was sold off in the shambles of a share deal which I had the misfortune in buying into myself.

Alot of people got burned there. It is now owned by venture (or should that be vulture) Capitalists who have no intention of investing in the company.

Looks like it is being sold on again!!:

Debt-laden Irish telco, Eircom is reported to be sold to Singapore Technologies Telemedia (STT) later this week for around EUR130 million (US$185 million), reports local news media. The former state-owned company has had a series of owners since privatisation and is currently owned by an Australian registered holding company, Eircom Holdings (ERC), formerly known as Babcock & Brown Capital.

Singapore Technologies Telemedia (STT) is itself owned by Singapore's Temasek Holdings, a sovereign wealth fund.

If the long planned deal is completed, then the Singapore company will have a controlling 51% stake in the Irish telecoms operator.

The deal is close to being concluded with a number of issues yet to be ironed out, including an agreement on the management fee to be paid by STT to run Eircom, reported the Irish Independent, citing sources close to the negotiations.

Eircom currently has a debt mountain of over EUR3 billion following its acquisition by Babcock & Brown in 2006 for EUR2.4 billion. The dominant landline telco also operates the Meteor mobile phone network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

or
    go into modem settings

enter dns

That's really done the trick for me.Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Luckily I was able to make it as far as boards.ie or else I would still be looking at blank pages..

cheers for the DNS information

Could the spam being sent out to all the social networks by every nightclub in dublin to anyone that looks remotely over the age of twelve have anything to do with it?:cool: (there really is a lot of it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

+1 in thanks to the poster who gave the DNS details. Something I have been meaning to do for ages, but lazy!! It's done :-)
    Cheers :-)
    And yeah, Eircom are starting to take the proverbial at this stage, not happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭finno

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    +1 in thanks to the poster who gave the DNS details. Something I have been meaning to do for ages, but lazy!! It's done :-)
    Cheers :-)
    And yeah, Eircom are starting to take the proverbial at this stage, not happy!

+2 work great here thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hmm. I've used the open DNS settings but my net is still intermittent.
    Anyone have a reason why?

What are your stats

att/snr

Have you tried rebooting your modem?
    Checked cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dante1979

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to change dns settings open the router in a browser using http://192.168.1.254/ for the eircom netopia modem/router and go to

expert mode => configure => connection => scroll down to Primary DNS server

and replace with open dns settings

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671561

Thank you. The more I learn the less I know.
    Cheers for the instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

or
    go into modem settings

enter dns

Done the trick, however the 2nd option "208.67.220.220" shows as unavailable?, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to change dns settings open the router in a browser using http://192.168.1.254/ for the eircom netopia modem/router and go to

expert mode => configure => connection => scroll down to Primary DNS server

and replace with open dns settings

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671561

Cheers for that, worked very well :)

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Done the trick, however the 2nd option "208.67.220.220" shows as unavailable?, is that correct?

Yeah usually says that, you only need one anyway, the other is if the first fails

Check out my thread pings seem to better

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671613

LOL FAIL, anybody notice the EIRCOM AD

RELIABLE broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zappapa

im just going to do my first post here just to say...

Eircom is a joke...

How could such things happens with such a big frequency? WTF!

I really dont get it.. had to use open dns once again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Chorcai wrote: »
    I have a 7mb BB connection, I play online games like BF2/COD4 etc etc heres my issue, I used to have the 1mb bb about 1yr ago, my ping in game was always 25-30ms, now with the 7mb my ping is 60-70ms, you might not think its that much but it is a big differance. Any ideas on how to explain that to eircom ??

When I download something its ok, just playing games I have horrid lag, its not my system which I know inside out. Any feed back welcome !

Speed 7168/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 8/5 dB

bring up a command prompt and type

telnet 192.168.1.254

Login as Admin

Then type

show dsl all

report back what that gives, it will include the level of interleaving eircom have set on your line. This can then be altered by eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What are your stats

att/snr

Have you tried rebooting your modem?
    Checked cables?

What is att / snr ?
    my Line Attenuation is 60/31 dB
    Using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220 as the primary/secondary dns server

Very hard get web pages open now. I can ping boards.ie sometime but get "Request Timed out" 25% of the time.
    Restarted the router several times and tried different computers, same thing.
    Tried different browsers, still the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Forgive my ignorance on this but just a quick question

I'm using OpenDNS at the minute until Eircom get it sorted and I'm wondering whether it's safe to use a credit card online?

Is it like using proxy where the data is relayed and so there's a higher risk of data being such as a credit card number being collected by a third party??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

+1 to eircom being ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kurisu wrote: »
    kinda shows the sad state their in , an isp should be one of the last things vulnerable to an attack.
    LoL. Get enough botnets, and you can take down anything. Entire countries have been brought to their knees before. Why block TPB in the first place? Because they're a few million in debt, and can't afford to fight any court case.
    Chorcai wrote: »
    There's something you need to get enabled, or disabled (think it's interleaving). Go onto the Counter-strike forum: it's covered there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

rang them a while ago was on hold for a half hour then they done that DNS thing with me and all was ok but the guy was told me that the russians had hacked them again and when i asked about compensation he told me good luck in trying but dont think you have much hope some disgrage in my mind if you owed them money the wouldnt be long comingt to tasks with you but when the probs on there side they couldnt care:mad::mad:

Advertisement