Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is very strange!

• 23-09-2009 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hello all. Just moved house and on Monday had phoneline installed in new house because there had not been an active line there since 2003. Had my eircom account reconnected on Monday and ordered 7mb broadband package on Tuesday. Tuesday evening .5mb started coming through my netopia router. Eircom claimed this was impossible as the broadband order had not been connected on the line yet. Now I'm worried that I'll be stuck with .5mb or will my 7mb come through in a few days. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks very much!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'd imagine you'll get your 7mb whenever they connect you, wouldn't worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you only ordered it on Tuesday, there's no way it would be active by Tuesday evening. Give it until they actually activate it, and then see what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

FullHouse wrote: »
    Hello all. Just moved house and on Monday had phoneline installed in new house because there had not been an active line there since 2003. Had my eircom account reconnected on Monday and ordered 7mb broadband package on Tuesday. Tuesday evening .5mb started coming through my netopia router. Eircom claimed this was impossible as the broadband order had not been connected on the line yet. Now I'm worried that I'll be stuck with .5mb or will my 7mb come through in a few days. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks very much!
    Do a speedtest from here and it will list what BB provider you have.

http://www.speedtest.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FullHouse

Did the test and its with eircom all right. Just really worried that this slow connection will somehow block my 7mb connection coming through. Eircom are still swearing that there is no way I should have broadband.
    573871298.png

Did the test and its with eircom all right. Just really worried that this slow connection will somehow block my 7mb connection coming through. Eircom are still swearing that there is no way I should have broadband.
    573871298.png
    Tis a strange one, I don't suppose your picking up a neighbours wireless network by accident are you?

• Advertisement

No, because the only internet device plugged in to the pc is the router, which in itself cannot pick up another wi-fi signal, it can only transmit them. And on my playstation 3, the connection is "wired" via ethernet so the broadband is definately being piped into my phoneline somehow. A friend of mine seems to think that because i'm close to an exchange, dsl is somehow leaking through to the line and the router is enabling me to connect. When i go to the netopia router webpage it tells me that its receiving a 512kb feed. I can't figure this out. Like i said,very strange. Free broadband perhaps? Free really slow broadband?????

No, because the only internet device plugged in to the pc is the router, which in itself cannot pick up another wi-fi signal, it can only transmit them. And on my playstation 3, the connection is "wired" via ethernet so the broadband is definately being piped into my phoneline somehow. A friend of mine seems to think that because i'm close to an exchange, dsl is somehow leaking through to the line and the router is enabling me to connect. When i go to the netopia router webpage it tells me that its receiving a 512kb feed. I can't figure this out. Like i said,very strange. Free broadband perhaps? Free really slow broadband?????
    Ok your line is syncing at 512K, that's why your getting the given speeds. Ring your mobile from your house phone and see what number comes up, this might be why Eircom cannot in fact "see" your Broadband on the line. Did you intend to transfer your old number to your new household?

DSL doesn't leak down a line - the only possibility here is that you were put on a DSL port that was mistaking though to be inactive but in the case that it is - it's actually on. And because Eircom routers used CSID (same username for everyone) - it's online. Count yourself lucky for now. It looks like when the person left the house in 2003, they BB was never cancelled (and 512K 6 years ago was a normal package to be on). Very Eircom-ish.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Ok your line is syncing at 512K, that's why your getting the given speeds. Ring your mobile from your house phone and see what number comes up, this might be why Eircom cannot in fact "see" your Broadband on the line. Did you intend to transfer your old number to your new household?

DSL doesn't leak down a line - the only possibility here is that you were put on a DSL port that was mistaking though to be inactive but in the case that it is - it's actually on. And because Eircom routers used CSID (same username for everyone) - it's online. Count yourself lucky for now. It looks like when the person left the house in 2003, they BB was never cancelled (and 512K 6 years ago was a normal package to be on). Very Eircom-ish.

Thanks for your help. When I ring my mobile it comes through as a private number but it always did, thats the way its set up on the network. If what you are saying is correct about being put on a dsl port will I still get my 7mb when it is due to come on stream?

forgot to mention that i wanted my old number brought to my new house.

Thanks for your help. When I ring my mobile it comes through as a private number but it always did, thats the way its set up on the network. If what you are saying is correct about being put on a dsl port will I still get my 7mb when it is due to come on stream?
    That all depends on Eircom, they can do that remotely but they're not detecting BB on your line so unless te number in that house if different, I don't know what's going to happen. Ring them up again, give them your IP address (www.whatsmyip.com) and tell them your sync rate - they should be able to track IP > Account > CLI > Order etc.

• Advertisement

That all depends on Eircom, they can do that remotely but they're not detecting BB on your line so unless te number in that house if different, I don't know what's going to happen. Ring them up again, give them your IP address (www.whatsmyip.com) and tell them your sync rate - they should be able to track IP > Account > CLI > Order etc.

Rang eircom and the automated message said my broadband order is still being processed and due for completion on 6th of October. Weird.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

When I ring my mobile it comes through as a private number but it always did, thats the way its set up on the network.

Dial 142 before the mobile number and the caller ID will show up.

Samson wrote: »
    Dial 142 before the mobile number and the caller ID will show up.

Yep, it's definately my line, my house number comes up when I dial 142 first.

Yep, it's definately my line, my house number comes up when I dial 142 first.
    Well then DSL must be still active on that port at the exchange, Eircom just don't realise it - whoops :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The "leftover 512k" theory is grand, but look at the upload speed... I don't think that looks like 128k somehow;)

The "leftover 512k" theory is grand, but look at the upload speed... I don't think that looks like 128k somehow;)
    Most likely an older package of 512 kbps / 512 kbps or 512 kbps / 384 kbps.

OP, can we see your line statistics please?

Well then DSL must be still active on that port at the exchange, Eircom just don't realise it - whoops :)

But I will still get my 7mb when it's due to be activated, right?

But I will still get my 7mb when it's due to be activated, right?
    Only time will tell mate, you need to ring Eircom and explain the situation again.

Only time will tell mate, you need to ring Eircom and explain the situation again.

Finally got through to somebody in Eircom who genuinely knew what they were talking about. Looks like you were on the money. It seems the line was not properly deactivated in 2003. As for the 7mb coming through, it should be through by Tuesday. The engineer will be able to spot that I'm only connected at 512kb and will do the necessary upgrades. Free broadband for now though according to the rep at eircom, which raises the question of broadband cost. If he can tell me to keep on using that connection until Tuesday for free and it's not costing anybody a cent as he told me, could eircom cut broadband costs accross the board if they wanted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

free broadband you cant really complain im on 7mb eircom and at most i can only get 4.5mbs

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    free broadband you cant really complain im on 7mb eircom and at most i can only get 4.5mbs

I'm aware of that problem, but it beats the sh*t out of the 1.5 I was getting at my old address. Apparently though I'm practically sitting on top of an exchange so I should fare pretty well speed wise. Currently getting appox .45 out of a .5 mb connection so I am hoping to knock between 5.5 - 6 out of my new 7mb connection. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic!

I'm aware of that problem, but it beats the sh*t out of the 1.5 I was getting at my old address. Apparently though I'm practically sitting on top of an exchange so I should fare pretty well speed wise. Currently getting appox .45 out of a .5 mb connection so I am hoping to knock between 5.5 - 6 out of my new 7mb connection. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic!
    If your sitting on your exchange (i.e under 1KM away), you'll get 7.6MB easily (approx. 800KB/s download speed) or 7500kbps on Speedtest.

Thought so, about time you got someone who knew what they were talking about, enjoy the free BB (your setup is currently very unique, nobody else get's BB while waiting to get BB haha).

Thanks for all the input guys. 800kb/s would be sweet. I'll let ye know how j get on.

7mb finally came through, although it's a bit erratic. My modem is synching at 7mb but the speeds and pings are erratic to say the least. Was getting anywhere between .5mb and 6.5mb yesterday evening. This morning before I went to work I was getting 5mb to 6mb. Having a technician call out to check it out though, eircom said my line is very clear and that I'm less than a mile from the exchange so any issues should be easily resolved. My next problem is whether I should go out and buy a good router to replace the crappy netopia which eircom supply?

Kept at eircom till I got a result. Getting pretty good speeds now. Pings are a bit erratic still though.599628213.png

Advertisement