Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    T hawk is so free for blanka im getting hatemail. Ill enjoy it while it lasts cos more that likely they will find some way to punish balls on hit :pac:

Pretty much the same for Guile. He usually dives right into a boom. It's great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Pretty much the same for Guile. He usually dives right into a boom. It's great :D

I dont blame them for sending hatemail the way i play the match. I can just sense how raging they are during the match and im having a right laugh at them. I love how im the coward yet they are the ones crouching at the other side of the screen spamming jab incase i ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I dont blame them for sending hatemail the way i play the match. I can just sense how raging they are during the match and im having a right laugh at them. I love how im the coward yet they are the ones crouching at the other side of the screen spamming jab incase i ball.

zangief nightmares right here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Pretty much the same for Guile. He usually dives right into a boom. It's great
    I dont get why Hawk players keep diving at Juri. I mean, she has to actually visibly store a fireball so they can't not know what's going to happen after the 5th dive in. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think we need some new flowcharts, people...

• Advertisement

I think there's just a load of new people who are just finding their way with SF right now.

Bearing in mind the localised nature of online in Super and the fact we've all been training against each other for a year... yeah, I guess brand new people must find us all awful frustrating, in retrospect. Maybe I should try to be nicer.

UNLESS they're spewing hate to me. From now on I am using the SRK anti hatemail Guile tactic:

"Go home and be a family man"

and if they persist:

"I've got nothing to say to a loser like you".

:D

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    zangief nightmares right here

The matchup seems a lot worse for t hawk. He can do nothing as far as i can see. To make the t hawk even more raging, chip kill him with full screen ultra 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

lol Bush you evil mofo, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Is it normal for people who are playing as Ken / Ryu / Akuma / Gouken to stay as far away from the other player as possible and spam fireballs constantly?

That made for some frustrating and very boring to watch matches for me last night.

Is it normal for people who are playing as Ken / Ryu / Akuma / Gouken to stay as far away from the other player as possible and spam fireballs constantly?

That made for some frustrating and very boring to watch matches for me last night.

Remember the games about controlling space:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055852587

Not that these guys necessarily knew what they were doing but yeah.

Its easy enough to get around this. Just know your spacing and the timing of their fireballs. Know when to neutral jump instead of forwarding jumping. Keep a cool head and next thing you'll be landing 'very' damaging jump in combos.

Timing and spacing and knowledge of the other characters recovery time is key. That and a cool head.

Make use of training mode. select ryu as player 2 and set him to record, then spam fireballs. Then set it to playback and practice getting in on him. Make sure you know what your most damaging jump in combo is.

Don't focus absorb more than 1 fireball at a time. And finally sometimes its better to just take that blocked chip damage and then walk forward, rather then risk the jump.

A lot of these guys are fishing for aa's.

The sooner you stop getting frustrated and eliminate thoughts of 'ffs this is lame' the sooner you'll be laying waste to these guys. As there are many new guys who literally dunno what else to do and are hopeless once you get in on them.

• Advertisement

It is normal to do whatever it takes to win.

That's a style called turtling and it would be something I am known (and slagged) for doing alot.

It doesn't look pretty, correct, but the point is not to look pretty, but to win.

Dreddy and I would prob be about 60/40 in this match up, tournament wise, he knows exactly how to punish me.

If you watch closely I am not just spamming booms, I am trying to get him to move into a vulnerable space where I can air throw or sweep. I can't afford for him to get in close as he kills me when he manages to. Just the way the characters are.

Good turtling should be about control. Not saying I have that, but it should be.

Yeah Guile is largely based around turtling or zoning , controling space.

Guiles zoning game is on another level compared to the shotos however , and my advice applies mainly to dealing with shotos who have a weaker zoning game. Guiles zoning game is far far better because he has far less options then the shotos.

Its what guiles about just like gief is all about getting in. It'd be truley boring if all the characters were the same.

Getting around ryu's fireballs and landing an nice jumpin combo is one thing but trying this on guile is a totally different story. As the trade off from him having to charage his projectile is that he recovers almost instantly after it. Allowing him to even walk along with his slower sonic boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

The matchup seems a lot worse for t hawk. He can do nothing as far as i can see. To make the t hawk even more raging, chip kill him with full screen ultra 2.

Its a nightmare alright! Me and Robbknoll (blanka user) were having a good few matches and poor Thawk doesnt have much he can do back!

Trust me, the frustration levels are off the charts! The only matches I've had as Thawk that seem to be getting easy wins online is juri and seth. Thats prob more to do with the player I'm against tho and not the match up themselves. Now that I can finally do 720 motions WITHOUT JUMPING I'm hitting alot of people with U1!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I hate the new online connection indicator! I've had loads of "green" connections that have turned out to be absolutely unplayable. What's wrong with an actual ping number?

Sisko wrote: »
    Yeah Guile is largely based around turtling or zoning , controling space.

Guiles zoning game is on another level compared to the shotos however , and my advice applies mainly to dealing with shotos who have a weaker zoning game. Guiles zoning game is far far better because he has far less options then the shotos.

Its what guiles about just like gief is all about getting in. It'd be truley boring if all the characters were the same.

Getting around ryu's fireballs and landing an nice jumpin combo is one thing but trying this on guile is a totally different story. As the trade off from him having to charage his projectile is that he recovers almost instantly after it. Allowing him to even walk along with his slower sonic boom.

I know just that fight is the first one that comes to mind when talking about zoning and turtling to me. :)

Console gamers wouldnt understand a ping number. Or so devs seem to think anyway.

@ Doom, sorry man that reply wasn't really at you it was to Misty Choas like, as an addition to what you said kinda thing. Like us two at one side of a the table in the bar and him at the other :p

yeah. lol.

The bars cant tell you if someone is on torrents or something while playing, thats the thing. Ive been playing the odd amercian with grean bars and they have been fine. Played that adnan fella that plays in the battlefield tournaments the other day.

The bars cant tell you if someone is on torrents or something while playing, thats the thing. Ive been playing the odd amercian with grean bars and they have been fine. Played that adnan fella that plays in the battlefield tournaments the other day.

Conversely my internet can be fine one minute and absolutely unplayable the next. Very annoying for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I've noticed that alright... great connection round one.... no connection round two

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Conversely my internet can be fine one minute and absolutely unplayable the next. Very annoying for all involved.

My connection is stable as a rock which is good. But lately my TV has taken to overheating and turning itself off for 30 seconds. It's only happened once or twice but it's one of those things that will get you killed fairly quickly. :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Been playing a bit, have about 60% win rate.
    Main is Sagat.
    Finding it impossible to beat some opponents namely Blanka(posture), Vega, and people who play Juri real cheap. I also panic when it's 1 round each and we're both low on health in the last round, I always end up fking up and losing.
    Also depending on internet connection lag you have to resort of an uber defensive game as any sort of timing and combos are out the window.

If anyone fancies a bout then add me - psn is RogueJT

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Odgey

Got it yesterday, been maining Cody so far.
    I've only seen about 10 people use the new characters though...everyone just plays either Sagat or Ryu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The Challenge mode is kind of annoying me.

Is the point of it so we can improve our game, or learn the individual names of all the moves?

In SFIV, I thought it was annoying how I'd have to hit the "back" button at the start of every challenge to toggle the display from the move's name, to the move's button inputs. It seemed like bad design to give me one extra unnecessary button press for every single challenge. I figured the next logical evolution in Super would be to have it be the inputs by default, and give players the option to see the names with a button press (I AM a trivia nerd, and even I don't give a crap if it's called the Hadoken/Gohadoken/Dandoken or whatever).

Then in SSFIV, the back button pauses the game on the input screen, so you have to toggle back and forth just to know how to do the moves.

I mean christ, do they want me to go and get a pen and paper?

Are they actually testing our memories?

I just plain gave up on some of Ibuki's challenges as soon as I saw:

Target Combo x
    Japanese Word A
    Japanese Word B
    Target Combo y
    Japanese Word C
    EX Japanese Word D

Is there a SINGLE person in the world who was able to look at those challenges and instantly do them without ever checking the inputs?

Gah!

Just hit select.

Odgey wrote: »
    Just hit select.

360 doesn't have a select button, but I can't imagine this is so different on PS3?

Ah, assumed PS3 for some reason.

Anyway, if you hit select on ps3 it brings up a menu showing you the input needed for each stage of the challenge. So I'd guess whatever the 306's equivalent of select is should work.

Right but my gripe IS the fact it brings up a seperate menu which pauses the action.

You can't input the buttons and SEE what they are at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Is there a SINGLE person in the world who was able to look at those challenges and instantly do them without ever checking the inputs?

Yup his name is Tin
    360 doesn't have a select button, but I can't imagine this is so different on PS3?

It does

No it doesn't.

• Advertisement

Why do people use the 12th colour? Its horrible.

Advertisement