Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Smart on new Eircom line?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am an international student in Dublin. I have to move my apartment next week. Now the problem is that where I was living I had NTL broadband service and I was happy with them.
    NTL has no broadband service at my new apartment (though they do have TV service there).
    I am now thinking of going with Smart. But for Smart I should have a landline, which I have to get from Eircom.
    Now my question is that if I take a landline connection from Eircom, I think they will ask for a contract and thus I will not be able to take Smart broadband. I do not want Eircom broadband at all (especially after going through this forum).
    Can someone guide me on what I need to do, as I do not have any experience in this regard, as I never had a fixed phone here in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no contract with a new line.

Once installed, you'll need both your universal account number (UAN) and phone number to order from Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iuv

Thanks a lot.
    Just let me know one more thing. As a student I do not have any use for landline. Is it mandatory to pay line rental for broadband with Smart or is there any option where I can only have and pay for broadband.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iuv wrote: »
    Thanks a lot.
    Just let me know one more thing. As a student I do not have any use for landline. Is it mandatory to pay line rental for broadband with Smart or is there any option where I can only have and pay for broadband.

No for DSL BB products you must have a land line and rental, you can only avoid that with UPC and wireless BB.

Yes it is stupid and most people, not just students, don't want a landline, but have to just so they can get BB.

BTW when you sign up with Eircom, just get a landline, Eircom will probably try to sell you other things like call bundles and BB, if you get these then you would be stuck with Eircom for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I got an Eircom phoneline installed this week, and this morning I got an agreement letter from them which says I must sign and return. At the bottom it lists the 121 euro installation fee, that's fine, but it also has the 25 euro (or whatever it is exactly) monthly line rental.

I rang Smart today and signed up.

Should I sign and send back the Eircom letter? It doesn't list any call bundle or broadband deals with eircom, only the line rental, which I want to have transferred to Smart. What's my next step?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iuv

Does eircom takes 121 euro installation fee for all new connections? Even on online orders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

plazzTT wrote: »
    Should I sign and send back the Eircom letter? It doesn't list any call bundle or broadband deals with eircom, only the line rental, which I want to have transferred to Smart. What's my next step?

Yes, otherwise they might cancel the line on you.
    iuv wrote: »
    Does eircom takes 121 euro installation fee for all new connections? Even on online orders?

For new line installs, they do. If no work is needed, and no technician call out required, then it's about €25, and sometimes free.

Advertisement