Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dosser1

kkelly77 wrote: »
    He's gone from this...

Attachment not found.

....to this!

Attachment not found.
    hi nice dog,was just wondering did white hair on chest grow out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

dosser1 wrote: »
    hi nice dog,was just wondering did white hair on chest grow out??

Not completely. But there's only a small bit left. I was told more often than not it all falls out eventually. Nothing a bit of Just for Men won't sort :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Hopefully getting either a Rottweiler or GSD in the next few weeks. :)

Have to say that Rottweilers around my area are getting a lot of good attention from people as opposed to the usual reaction ( crossing the road etc.). It's a good sign :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Have to say that Rottweilers around my area are getting a lot of good attention from people as opposed to the usual reaction ( crossing the road etc.). It's a good sign :cool:

As someone who's 11 month old Rottie was reported to the Dog Warden for not having a muzzle less than a few weeks ago I can't quiet agree with this.
    Out of the 10 nice people who come over to pet your dog it just takes one to be sly, say nothing to your face and report you without you knowing. Its sad to say but my guard is up 100% of the time now but still I wouldn't be without my Rottie for all the mean spirited people in the world!!!

Not completely. But there's only a small bit left. I was told more often than not it all falls out eventually. Nothing a bit of Just for Men won't sort :D
    lol,was just wonderin cause i gettin pup from rex,and the one i want has bit of white on chest,think i read that ur dog from rex too?either ways they v nice dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

lol,was just wonderin cause i gettin pup from rex,and the one i want has bit of white on chest,think i read that ur dog from rex too?either ways they v nice dogs

Just be careful if you are getting a rottweiler and it has white on its chest, as its deemed a fault so you would not be able to show it if it did have white on it.
    But if you arent going to show it then its no problem to have some white on it.

andreac wrote: »
    Just be careful if you are getting a rottweiler and it has white on its chest, as its deemed a fault so you would not be able to show it if it did have white on it.
    But if you arent going to show it then its no problem to have some white on it.
    ive wanted a rottweiler for years now,i dont think ill be showing him but always wanted one of show quality,thats why im having second thoughts about this one as i know this is classed as a fault,i know he would be just as lovely,im just strange like that lol,think i will go for one of his brothers,thanks for advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Not having a go at you dosser1 but I would be a little bit concerned about your thinking on this. If your not going to show the dog I cant see what your problem is with the little bit of white fur. Its not a fault in anyway shape or form and should not detract from taking the pup. And to view it as a fault is very very worrying IMO. Alot of dog shows with breed standards have an awful lot to answer for. Its leading to crazy demands being placed on how a dog should look. There not manufactured items that can be 100% identical everytime and nor should they be, nature is what it is.

Seriously dosser1 the more I think about this more annoyed I'm getting about it. Its not as if the dog is missing a leg or an eye and even at that why should that matter. You either lover the dog for what he/she is or your not really ready to get a dog.

Like you I wanted a Rottie for along time and it took quite a bit of convincing to get the OH around to the idea of owning one. We got ours from a rescue. She was abandoned at around 8-10months of age. No one knows what the reason was, maybe she wasnt show quailty matbe she was tearing someones house up or maybe her owners could no longer afford her. We love her to bits, shes not perfect, she can be very trying at times but I dont think she should be perfect either, after all lifes not perfect if you get what I'm saying.

In the year and a half we were volunteering in the rescue I have seen 4 rotties come through their doors. One was traumatised from being beaten, two were abandoned in the area not even brought up to the rescue and the other one was handed in when the owner got too old to cope. It could be attitudes like yours that have these dogs and other "pedigree breeds" ending up in shelters or worse being culled as pups as breeders wont be able to sell them for perceived "faults"

I really think you want to step back and think this through. As I said at the start I 'm not having ago but to decided not to take a dog for the reason you have outlined does not reflect well on you it comes across as being very flippant and shallow. When chosing a Rottie as breed to own you need to be 100% comitted to every aspect of owning that dog there is no room for being flippant or complacent, its not a status symbol or show piece to have on your arm as you walk around town

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ive wanted a rottweiler for years now,i wont be showing him but always wanted one of show quality,thats why im having second thoughts about this one as i know this is classed as a fault,i know he would be just as lovely,im just strange like that lol,think i will go for one of his brothers,thanks for advice:)
    If you're not buying the dog to show, then nobody will notice any "flaws" (I can't get quotation marks big enough for that one) in the dog. When you're walking along the street, nobody will look at you and say, "Wow, look at that pristine dog", they will just say, "Rottweiler".

It seems like a bizarre criteria for buying a dog, why do you want one of show quality if not to show it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

antomagoo wrote: »
    Not having a go at you dosser1 but I would be a little bit concerned about your thinking on this. If your not going to show the dog I cant see what your problem is with the little bit of white fur. Its not a fault in anyway shape or form and should not detract from taking the pup. And to view it as a fault is very very worrying IMO. Alot of dog shows with breed standards have an awful lot to answer for. Its leading to crazy demands being placed on how a dog should look. There not manufactured items that can be 100% identical everytime and nor should they be, nature is what it is.

Seriously dosser1 the more I think about this more annoyed I'm getting about it. Its not as if the dog is missing a leg or an eye and even at that why should that matter. You either lover the dog for what he/she is or your not really ready to get a dog.

Like you I wanted a Rottie for along time and it took quite a bit of convincing to get the OH around to the idea of owning one. We got ours from a rescue. She was abandoned at around 8-10months of age. No one knows what the reason was, maybe she wasnt show quailty matbe she was tearing someones house up or maybe her owners could no longer afford her. We love her to bits, shes not perfect, she can be very trying at times but I dont think she should be perfect either, after all lifes not perfect if you get what I'm saying.

In the year and a half we were volunteering in the rescue I have seen 4 rotties come through their doors. One was traumatised from being beaten, two were abandoned in the area not even brought up to the rescue and the other one was handed in when the owner got too old to cope. It could be attitudes like yours that have these dogs and other "pedigree breeds" ending up in shelters or worse being culled as pups as breeders wont be able to sell them for perceived "faults"

I really think you want to step back and think this through. As I said at the start I 'm not having ago but to decided not to take a dog for the reason you have outlined does not reflect well on you it comes across as being very flippant and shallow. When chosing a Rottie as breed to own you need to be 100% comitted to every aspect of owning that dog there is no room for being flippant or complacent, its not a status symbol or show piece to have on your arm as you walk around town

I couldn't agree more with you there,You are 100% right,If the dog is not going to be shown what does it matter whether or not if it has a white spot.Plus most of the time the white hair falls out as they grow older,

• Advertisement

ive wanted a rottweiler for years now,i wont be showing him but always wanted one of show quality,thats why im having second thoughts about this one as i know this is classed as a fault,i know he would be just as lovely,im just strange like that lol,think i will go for one of his brothers,thanks for advice:)

Sorry for still going but I really am gobsamcked by this.

So you wanted the pup with the bit of white and now you dont want it because the bit of white.

Seriously that is fcuked up, your not buying a car or a sofa where all of a sudden you dont like the colour :mad:

I'm fuming over this, this is the first topic I have read on boards where I am actually angry as hell, I need to go calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please do, before you say something you regret :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Dosser1, pass on the Breeders info. I'll gladly take one with some white fur (as long as I can afford it :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I have to agree with all of the above posters. What you said makes no sense to me and I agree with Antomagoo that you'd want to rethink things. These "faults" mean sweet f all unless your showing the dog. One of my dogs has blue eyes, a "fault" to all the pedigree fanciers out there but to me it's something unique that sets him apart and makes him even more special than all the show quality dogs out there. I hope your missus doesn't surprise you one day after dying her hair or you might go after her sister instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I've had 6 of these fantastic dogs. At one stage I had 3 at the same time (we had the space). Each had its own VERY distinct personality and quirks - one of them would complain loudly and refuse to eat if he didn't get sliced tomatoes with his food :confused: Had to be sliced. Wouldn't touch a whole tomato. Never found out how he got to eat them in the first place, but Vet said that it was ok.

The one thing they all had in common was an incredible temperament. I raised 3 kids (boys) when I had the rotties and NEVER, not once, was there any sign of aggression towards them. This in spite of a constant stream of poking, prodding pulling of varous bits of their anatomy or even when trying to ride them like a pony!! In fact, with my oldest boy, the dog would try and shield my son when he was in trouble.

In fact, I think the 2 biggest problems we ever had revolved around an acquired taste for the next door neighbour's prized cockrells (my wallet still cries...) and their insane notion that they were 'chihuahua' sized and graceful, when the complete opposite was true. Bull in a china shop springs to mind.

The problem with ignorant people is not limited to Ireland. In South Africa, where I come from, we had the exact same issues. I was even visited by the police's Child Protection Unit after a complaint. The allegation was that my kid's lives were in danger due to killer dogs. Ummm....yeah.... right....:rolleyes:.... most likely as a result of excessive licking!

Unfortunately, when we decided to come to Ireland, we were told this breed was not welcome and so we left our last baby with my brother. I'm glad to see that what we were told is false.

reply to all of the above,for a start ive only seen a pic of dog without white chest,then when i was told it had white chest i got a bit iffy as it is NOT breed standard and i payed top money for breed standard,as in size shape temperment,parents hip score eye colour pedigree,that comes from long line of champions,and how dare anyone say iam not ready to own a dog,do you know me?i have a 2year old boxer and a 7 yr old german shepard of SHOW quality who i love very much,and attitudes like mine that have dogs abandoned in shelters?ive never been more insulted in my life,ill think u will find in more cases than not it is backyard breeders,puppy farms and people who go get a dog without thinking how much they change your life and relise they cant cope or just couldnt be bothered when the novelty wears off,ive personly took in lots of stray dogs over the years and brought them up to good health and found them new homes with family and neighbours,and to finish wheter liked or not i do treat my dogs as show pieces as that is what they are to me i love then as much as i love my 6 year old daughter in a way words could not describe.
    anyways thanks for insulting me over and over again for asking a question?

adser53 wrote: »
    I have to agree with all of the above posters. What you said makes no sense to me and I agree with Antomagoo that you'd want to rethink things. These "faults" mean sweet f all unless your showing the dog. One of my dogs has blue eyes, a "fault" to all the pedigree fanciers out there but to me it's something unique that sets him apart and makes him even more special than all the show quality dogs out there. I hope your missus doesn't surprise you one day after dying her hair or you might go after her sister instead :D
    that remark was just stupid

reply to all of the above,for a start ive only seen a pic of dog without white chest,then when i was told it had white chest i got a bit iffy as it is NOT breed standard and i payed top money for breed standard,as in size shape temperment,parents hip score eye colour pedigree,that comes from long line of champions,and how dare anyone say iam not ready to own a dog,do you know me?i have a 2year old boxer and a 7 yr old german shepard of SHOW quality who i love very much,and attitudes like mine that have dogs abandoned in shelters?ive never been more insulted in my life,ill think u will find in more cases than not it is backyard breeders,puppy farms and people who go get a dog without thinking how much they change your life and relise they cant cope or just couldnt be bothered when the novelty wears off,ive personly took in lots of stray dogs over the years and brought them up to good health and found them new homes with family and neighbours,and to finish wheter liked or not i do treat my dogs as show pieces as that is what they are to me i love then as much as i love my 6 year old daughter in a way words could not describe.
    anyways thanks for insulting me over and over again for asking a question?

Your right I dont know you so apologies if your insulted but I dont think you showed yourself in a good light with your posts.

Fair enough you have dogs and seem to have lots of experience with dogs so your right I have no right to judge if your ready to own a dog or not, but as is often the case on forums if all the info about someone is not available you tend to go on their posts and as I said I dont think you came across well.

OK you've payed top dollar to a breeder and you expect to get what you payed for I have no problem with that if thats your choice. I still am baffled as to why you would pick a pup and decide against that pup just because of the white tufft. I can understand people who are big into showing dogs and take that sort of competion very seriously having concerns about this but your not going to show your dog? sorry but that comes across as very vain to me.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in saying your attitude could be contributing to dogs ending up in shelters but we've already dealt with the fact I dont know you so once again sorry for the insult. My point was that if people were going around only wanting 100% breed standard acceptable dogs all the time we would end up with alot more dogs in shelters or being culled as pups; nature does have a way of throwing up little "imperfections" (as seen by humans) now again.

The debate about breed standards that are drawn up by clubs/societies is a debate for whole other thread

i payed top money for breed standard,as in size shape temperment,parents hip score eye colour pedigree,that comes from long line of champions,

I know the breeding and breeder of your pup (plus I own a half sister to your pup), if you are not going to be showing I wouldn't be worrying about the white on the chest. Yes these pups aren't cheap but they are well bred and well reared so you are getting your money's worth even with a pup with a show flaw, alot of breeders don't distingish (in price) between a show quality pup and a pet quality as it cost as much to rear them correctly. At 8 weeks old so much can still go wrong with a pup as far as showing is concerned, if you pick the brother instead of your original pup he might not make size, he might develop an over / underbite, he might have a weak topline, he might be missing teeth etc. all these things would be show flaws. Personally I say go with your original pup, I'm doing agiltiy with my girl which Rotties are brilliant at, there would be nothing stopping your guy from going down this route, white chest and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

100% agree with that! My chap was 2nd pick of the litter of 12 and by 6 months he was too big for the ring! Never intended to show him and I actually got him as a breed rescue so knew the breeder and he couldnt get over how big he was when we went to visit to show him how he was getting on!

The good money paid is for the inner breeding of the dog too such as diseases, hips etc. You paying to have a sound animal. If your motivation is not to show or breed then go for the pup that originally chose you!! Really believe they pick us and your little one picked you and those few hairs will prob fall out with age and if they dont it wont matter to you by that stage you will be too besotted!!!

Ps: if not breeding or showing please please please spay/neuter (sorry cant help myself!! haha)

• Advertisement

antomagoo wrote: »
    Your right I dont know you so apologies if your insulted but I dont think you showed yourself in a good light with your posts.

Fair enough you have dogs and seem to have lots of experience with dogs so your right I have no right to judge if your ready to own a dog or not, but as is often the case on forums if all the info about someone is not available you tend to go on their posts and as I said I dont think you came across well.

OK you've payed top dollar to a breeder and you expect to get what you payed for I have no problem with that if thats your choice. I still am baffled as to why you would pick a pup and decide against that pup just because of the white tufft. I can understand people who are big into showing dogs and take that sort of competion very seriously having concerns about this but your not going to show your dog? sorry but that comes across as very vain to me.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in saying your attitude could be contributing to dogs ending up in shelters but we've already dealt with the fact I dont know you so once again sorry for the insult. My point was that if people were going around only wanting 100% breed standard acceptable dogs all the time we would end up with alot more dogs in shelters or being culled as pups; nature does have a way of throwing up little "imperfections" (as seen by humans) now again.

The debate about breed standards that are drawn up by clubs/societies is a debate for whole other thread
    ok i didnt pick pup yet i seen pic of them wen i was told one of them had white on it,i thought i wud come on here and see if any1 had same kind an if they found it grew out,and also i said i probley wouldnt be showing the dog,but it would be nice to have the option as i have raised my other dogs as show dogs as i will with this one,anyways i was just looking for advice,which i kindly got from 1 poster and the rest to me just seemed like insults i get now that you are sorry for that,but i think u should think twice in future before accidently insulting someone,:)

cjf wrote: »
    100% agree with that! My chap was 2nd pick of the litter of 12 and by 6 months he was too big for the ring! Never intended to show him and I actually got him as a breed rescue so knew the breeder and he couldnt get over how big he was when we went to visit to show him how he was getting on!

The good money paid is for the inner breeding of the dog too such as diseases, hips etc. You paying to have a sound animal. If your motivation is not to show or breed then go for the pup that originally chose you!! Really believe they pick us and your little one picked you and those few hairs will prob fall out with age and if they dont it wont matter to you by that stage you will be too besotted!!!

Ps: if not breeding or showing please please please spay/neuter (sorry cant help myself!! haha)
    ive only seen a pic,im not going to go face to face and bond with pup only to deside take his brother

i must say my somehow stupid way of finding out some info has really got this thread going.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

ive only seen a pic,im not going to go face to face and bond with pup only to deside take his brother

Ah well then!! Sorry thought you had already seen them! Sure when you do get to go see them ul know which is yours in an instant!! Very exciting! A GSD a boxer and a rottie they will have some fun together amazin mix to own!!

Good luck with new pup!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

that remark was just stupid
    First off the smiley face implies a joke.

And after reading your follow up posts I too apologise for judging harshly but like others have said, your initial post didn't reflect well on you. I also wrongly assumed youd been to see the pups and changed your mind afterwards. Anywyays, I'm sorry :D (that smiley doesn't imply a joke)

lrushe wrote: »
    I know the breeding and breeder of your pup (plus I own a half sister to your pup), if you are not going to be showing I wouldn't be worrying about the white on the chest. Yes these pups aren't cheap but they are well bred and well reared so you are getting your money's worth even with a pup with a show flaw, alot of breeders don't distingish (in price) between a show quality pup and a pet quality as it cost as much to rear them correctly. At 8 weeks old so much can still go wrong with a pup as far as showing is concerned, if you pick the brother instead of your original pup he might not make size, he might develop an over / underbite, he might have a weak topline, he might be missing teeth etc. all these things would be show flaws. Personally I say go with your original pup, I'm doing agiltiy with my girl which Rotties are brilliant at, there would be nothing stopping your guy from going down this route, white chest and all.
    totally agree:)ive been took up complety the wrong way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

lrushe wrote: »
    , I'm doing agiltiy with my girl which Rotties are brilliant at, there would be nothing stopping your guy from going down this route, white chest and all.

IRUSHE where are you doing the agiltiy?is it with the kennel club on a sun?I going to start with my one but the trainer told me too wait till my rottie is about 10 months because they are a heavier breed it can damage their bones and growth if you start it when they are too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 babbar sher

Grason is at that stage now that he barks if he sees someone out the window in the sitting room. Or if he's out the back garden and hears/sees the neighbours and other dogs barking. 99% of the time he'll stop when he's given a 'SSSSSSSHHHHHH'. Oh and for whatever reason he'll randomly bark when he see another dog. No particular breed or anything that will set him off. He even started barking in the car at a dog that was about 30 feet away with it's back to us. I was told he just getting braver as he matures, like a cranky teenager :rolleyes:

In saying that though, he's had 2 different Labs charge him while I've had him for a walk and he didn't react at all. He was on the lead and both times each Lab was off lead. The only things I need to work on are his recall from a distance and responding to instructions from a distance.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has a similar sized/temperament dog to let him play with. I stopped bringing him to the dog park when I felt his size would be an issue for some. Long gone is the puppy cuteness and now it's replaced with others crossing the road when they see him coming :(

If only they knew...........

I totally understand what you said there! I have a rottie, he is 2 now & whenever I have him in the park people just look at him wierd, that is when he is off leash. He is very obedient, just like your rottie. He never barks though, very very rarely! Only when there is something very strange going on! :confused: Anyway don't let his size put you off from bringing him to meet other dogs in the park, that is how he will learn to interact in the right way with dogs. I gather that he is not a puppy but he is not an old dog, so a fairly young dog should have as much interaction with other dogs. If you keep him away from other dogs, it will probably lead to frustration and there is a chance he might not behave himself one day. If you want to teach him to obey you from a distance, get a clicker or something & practice for a week and he will learn very quickly, so if he strays, just use the clicker & he should come running back. I taught my dogs with my whistle :) What happens sometimes is that they dont come back or dont obey you 100% of the time. I just start walking in the opposite direction away from them, so a minute or 2 later they realise oh sh*t where is my master!! And they come running to me, when they do this a few times they realise, I strayed the last time & my owner walked far away, its like a little bit of a bad experience for them so they're discouraged to do it cos they're pack animals & there goal in life is to stay with the pack! :) Hope this helps! What area of dublin do you live in? I wouldn't mind getting my fella to say hello to him! But you gave him a home & I am sure you love him, dont let the fact that he is a big dog put you off anything. Enjoy him and let him enjoy his runs in the park too! What I am trying to say is you got him because he is a rottie in the first place, so don't let the fact that he is a rottie put you off anything! ;)

lisar201 wrote: »
    IRUSHE where are you doing the agiltiy?is it with the kennel club on a sun?I going to start with my one but the trainer told me too wait till my rottie is about 10 months because they are a heavier breed it can damage their bones and growth if you start it when they are too young.

I'm doing it with Dog Training Ireland. Your trainer is correct, no extensive running or jumping higher than their elbow until their growth plates have closed, around 18 - 24 months. Brook is almost 13 months and she is starting the Foundation Agility which is basically teaching the commands which will be used during agility ie. left, right, wait etc. and also increasing their flexablity and familiarising them with the equipment. Should be fun and a good outlet for Brooks' energy :)

• Advertisement

ok i didnt pick pup yet i seen pic of them wen i was told one of them had white on it,i thought i wud come on here and see if any1 had same kind an if they found it grew out,and also i said i probley wouldnt be showing the dog,but it would be nice to have the option as i have raised my other dogs as show dogs as i will with this one,anyways i was just looking for advice,which i kindly got from 1 poster and the rest to me just seemed like insults i get now that you are sorry for that,but i think u should think twice in future before accidently insulting someone,:)

Didnt come on to be insulting, so I think we'll move on from it now that things are bit clearer

Good luck with the new dog, they're a fantastic breed;)

Advertisement