Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Beautiful sunny day here, althouhg I am hearing a few 'drip drip's :P

5257.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Beautiful Satellite image from saturn.unibe.ch at 2pm. Just zoom in to Ireland. You can really see the battle to take place from all that cloud in the south west!

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Despite the sun, temperature has been dropping since morning. This should be the warmest part of the day and is now 0.1°C from a high of 1.4°C about an hour and a half ago.
    My neighbour helped me get my car unstuck and its now parked by the main road so mood hugely improved :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Just to confirm there is nothing marginal about tomorrow's extreme event.
    It can snow at upper 850's at zero and ours will be -8 in an easterly.
    I would think the south will see several inches and that the country will close down by sun night.
    I mean the airport shut today in Dublin from a few light snow showers.

As for the outlook, let's leave that at the moment, because the snow coming tomorrow is a once in a 50year event.
    And yes leahyl you will see buckets of snow:D

wow, a comment like that even restores my faith in the possibility of a leeside snowfest to add to the sprinkling we just got (wu-hoooo!!) .....but I just wonder from your name if you're not a wee little bit biased . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

fricatus wrote: »
    Note how the Snow Shield protects Waterford and the rest of the 051 area! :D

Attachment not found.

it better not work tomorrow. I hope we don't get rain/sleet whilst everywhere else gets snowfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

light snow shower in castlebar looks like theres more in the sky hers hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

t|nt|n wrote: »
    You all come crawling back in the end !!!!!! :p;):D
    :D
    pk the bud is my idol!

snowing here again, big slow motion flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

AntiRip wrote: »
    Beautiful Satellite image from saturn.unibe.ch at 2pm. Just zoom in to Ireland. You can really see the battle to take place from all that cloud in the south west!

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Take a look at Spain too. I've never seen it so green. Isn't it true in a broad sense that when we have high pressure coming down from the Arctic/Scandinavia in winter, that they get all the low pressure and rain that we'd normally get?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

There was a light snow shower much earlier here in Lusk after the heavier rain/sleet mix had stopped... which gives me some confidence again.

It has been so marginal around here for some reason, strange given that other coastal locations have had lots of snow yet here and Skerries, Donabate etc have had much less. We have had a snow/hail mix on the ground now (feck all though!) here for several days but when I was in Skerries the other day there was zero sign of snow on the ground. Maybe a straight easterly will deliver more so...

Its like a good TV series that ends on a nail bite every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

200motels wrote: »
    It's 4C here and not too bad a day.

yeah positively balmy at present. stark contrast to this morning. twas beautifully eerie when the snow fell against a frozen countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

alfa beta wrote: »
    wow, a comment like that even restores my faith in the possibility of a leeside snowfest to add to the sprinkling we just got (wu-hoooo!!) .....but I just wonder from your name if you're not a wee little bit biased . :rolleyes:

It's my educated opinion that all the models are showing the heaviest ppn over south munster. Cork is totally in the firing line and Met eireann are not really reflecting this. Yes it turns marginal monday for the south, but by then several inches will have fallen over cork and nearby counties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

:D
    pk the bud is my idol!

snowing here again, big slow motion flakes

You should add him on Facebook !! Under "Patsy Bud Kelly"

very light snow here still but lovely looking clouds heading my way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well after looking at the radar for today. i would say the south east will get the biggest lashing of snow in the next few day's at least till wedensday unless the wind changes. dublin south will get a good belt but north county dublin, swords, airport will have less snow than the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Rnag said earlier that it was -15 in parts of Co.Donegal last night and that it will remain -5 in many places throughout the day :eek:

Just heard its snowing heaving in donegal town .

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It feels strangely mild here, out as far as the car and genuinely didn't feel that cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

look at all that in SE England, heading towards london!

1415.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Congrats to anyone that got some unexpected snow today! Got about 5cms top up here from a few hours of constant light snow.
    Anyone know if there were any records broken last night? I see Tullow (only) got to -16.4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Mild with a bit of a thaw in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's my educated opinion that all the models are showing the heaviest ppn over south munster. Cork is totally in the firing line and Met eireann are not really reflecting this. Yes it turns marginal monday for the south, but by then several inches will have fallen over cork and nearby counties

i thought it was the south east myself per my readings but i hope you're right!

• Advertisement

Looks like plenty of snow showers heading for Tir Chonaill

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

blue sky's in swords with a few small clouds. the south east is going to get it thats the way it is looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »

Donegal truly is the snow capital of Ireland. It is a pity we don't have more posters from up there. I am still in shock at the images the RTE news showed from up there a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »
    Congrats to anyone that got some unexpected snow today! Got about 5cms top up here from a few hours of constant light snow.
    Anyone know if there were any records broken last night? I see Tullow (only) got to -16.4 :)

No records broken in my area anyway Rougies, still a couple of degrees shy of Dec 2000 levels.

whats it like in wexford at the moment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

t|nt|n wrote: »
    You should add him on Facebook !! Under "Patsy Bud Kelly"

very light snow here still but lovely looking clouds heading my way !

I bet he's sheltering under the canal bridge at the Moate.

Snowing again in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »

Dying off a little now but present shower is on since about 1.45. :)

snaps wrote: »
    look at all that in SE England, heading towards london!
    Never mind london ,look at whats heading towards donegal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

about 2-3 cm here today lost:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

No records broken in my area anyway Rougies, still a couple of degrees shy of Dec 2000 levels.

Dublin AP was looking good for a new record last night. Doesn't have last night's low temp on the met eireann site yet. I'm sure they'll mention it on the weather forecast if it was broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement