Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Thats the coolest gadget ive ever seen, did you build it yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Supercell wrote: »
    Honestly, I hope you are wrong.

Watching your attitude to the snow change over the last few days has been very interesting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fup it united have equalised. still, i never thought i'd say this, but if they go on to win 3-1 i won't care as long as i get a decent fall of snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

owenc wrote: »
    Dw youd be better off driving to wales

would i need to get the boat or can i drive over the irish sea?

what is dw btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

A little part of me fancies a total snow wipeout. I'm talking power out, all yr clothes on, roads impassable, and having to resort to eating golden syrup, cream crackers, and chilli powder (or whatever has been lurking at the back of the press for the last couple of years). Just as we appear doomed to go the same way as Jack Torrance in The Shining, spring arrives. Anyone relate to this apocalyptic fantasy? :rolleyes:

Snow beginning to fall in Sandymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    Hope you didn't miss your verse in the poem on page 71 :D

No I saw it - very touched... Sniff....!! And you mentioned the Banks! Brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

MB1380 wrote: »
    Took this vid today over a frozen lake in Macroom. It was safe to walk on as its only 4" deep at the moment and was frozen to the ground!

MB that is a cool machine. Did you build yourself or buy? great footage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

fup it united have equalised. still, i never thought i'd say this, but if they go on to win 3-1 i won't care as long as i get a decent fall of snow tomorrow.

If you bank on United losses for your moments of happiness, you are on a hiding to nothing. I say that as a Liverpool fan. :eek:

SeaFields wrote: »
    Are Met Eireann not predicting a thaw at the end of next week? :confused:

Just read it there on breakingnews.ie

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/more-snow-due-but-freeze-to-end-2006757.html

Mr Fleming said it was possible the cold weather could come back, but he could not make predictions beyond next weekend.

A wise man. He knows from his colleague Mr Rogers famous statement last February: "You can never turn your back on snow":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Mixed outlooks from ensembles on milder conditions next week

The ECM shows no real evidence of a nationwide thaw later next week. Out to Thursday, the uppers are still well below -5 for a lot of the country according to the ECM
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM0-120.GIF?09-12

GEM, meanwhile, keeps the battle between colder air and the Atlantic going on into next weekend.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/geme_cartes.php

The UKMO is signalling such a thaw though
    http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/UW72-7.GIF?09-18

as is the GFS from Tuesday
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gfs/12_72_ukthickness850.png

The differing outputs from these means that things are finely balanced between a continuation of the cold spell, albeit less severe than the past week, and somewhat milder temps (3-7c - mildest in southwest) from late tuesday onwards.

Interestingly, accuweather has been indicating a return to milder weather early next week since Wednesday or so. Today it has pushed that milder weather out to later next week. There will be a temporary increase in temps before a return to much colder weather. Here is the clare forecast from them. Note the temp graph at the bottom
    http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast.asp?partner=netweather&zipcode=EUR|IE|EI003|ENNIS|

The best way I can sum up how the confused ensembles/models are reading the next few days is through this video. The prison guards are the models. The prisoner is the cold weather. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

no snow here(d17),cloud breaking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Took this vid today over a frozen lake in Macroom. It was safe to walk on as its only 4" deep at the moment and was frozen to the ground!

I want one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Shows a lot of precipation over donegal on radar now over my head but there is none yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Shane732 wrote: »
    Look what's coming!!

Attachment not found.

That's been coming for an hour doesn't seem to be making much progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Still frick all here in Waterford. I nearly went to the gym its so snowless.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Snow just starting to fall here in Naas.

Temp -4.4C

For those that are fond of a pint of Arthurs, 5 cans + glass in a box in O'Briens for a fiver!

Mmmm cheap snow beeer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Mr & Mrs Snowy want more snow to make more children!

mrmrssnowy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Jake1 wrote: »
    No snow yet in my part of Lucan. I see big clouds coming but they seem to be breaking up. :(
    Oh well roll on tomorrow :)

Just had a brief dusting in Adamstown..three flakes to be exact..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Shows a lot of precipation over donegal on radar now over my head but there is none yet.

None here either Pangea. Hasn't snowed here in about 3 hours:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Shane732 wrote: »
    Look what's coming!!

Attachment not found.

The Dublin guys were complaining about there snow shield a while ago. Looks like you now have a snow magnet :-) Enjoy Lads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

would i need to get the boat or can i drive over the irish sea?

what is dw btw?

oh sorry it means don't worry ...... and you could take the boat and drive backwards and forwards till you get there.. only take about an hour.

Would anyone from Lucan Celbridge Leixlip area, dare to guess if we'll get snow from this current blob at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

GavinH wrote: »
    MB that is a cool machine. Did you build yourself or buy? great footage.

Thanks, ya i built it myself but it took many months of messing around to get it working :rolleyes:. Bought the processer that controls the balance and self leveling from germany and built the rest of the frame and all the wiring myself then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Snow started falling in Clane,biggish flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

mickger wrote: »
    The Dublin guys were complaining about there snow shield a while ago. Looks like you now have a snow magnet :-) Enjoy Lads

Yeah, the magnet is working, but it's still behind the shield :( Seems to be breaking up just as it's about to hit land!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Oh my god how was that a red card for fletcher, its the champs league semi final all over again lol
    Freezing hard here now lol

spockety wrote: »
    If you bank on United losses for your moments of happiness, you are on a hiding to nothing. I say that as a Liverpool fan. :eek:

well without Vidic they've been losing a lot lately:D

Liverpool, and also Leeds, beating them this season makes up for all the times they get the phantom six minutes of extra time to equalise or win games:mad:

holly1 wrote: »
    Snow started falling in Clane,biggish flakes.

Must have bypassed Lucan :) Send some back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Thanks, ya i built it myself but it took many months of messing around to get it working :rolleyes:. Bought the processer that controls the balance and self leveling from germany and built the rest of the frame and all the wiring myself then.

Amazing, would love to see it in action some day. As i guess you just live down the road a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Rougies wrote: »
    Yeah, the magnet is working, but it's still behind the shield :( Seems to be breaking up just as it's about to hit land!

there maybe some holes in the shield, snowing lightly here now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement