Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Residential proxy for Eircom Study Hub?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have signed up for an Eircom Study Hub account at home but I am not always at home and would be like to be able to access the service then too.

Unfortunately I cannot because you need an Eircom Residential 3mbps+ IP to do so.

Does anyone know of an Eircom Residential Proxy out there or another work around?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

LA3G wrote: »
    Hello

I have signed up for an Eircom Study Hub account at home but I am not always at home and would be like to be able to access the service then too.

Unfortunately I cannot because you need an Eircom Residential 3mbps+ IP to do so.

Does anyone know of an Eircom Residential Proxy out there or another work around?

Thanks

One work around would be to create a VPN connection back to your home when your are away. Yea could create this VPN connection via a VPN capabale router/modem (just like the Netgear ADSL router/modems) or desktop/server at home setup to accept VPN connections.

Another option would be to be create a SSH style proxy connection to a PC running SSH at home.

Thats all I can think of at the mo but I think the VPN enabled router/modem would be easiest :) I'm sure theres other ways though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

kerbdog wrote: »
    One work around would be to create a VPN connection back to your home when your are away. Yea could create this VPN connection via a VPN capabale router/modem (just like the Netgear ADSL router/modems) or desktop/server at home setup to accept VPN connections.

Another option would be to be create a SSH style proxy connection to a PC running SSH at home.

Thats all I can think of at the mo but I think the VPN enabled router/modem would be easiest :) I'm sure theres other ways though!

Thanks for the input. It's actually my father that has DSL from Eircom so setting up a server there and ensuring it's always on when I need it is not really an option. I am going to try find Eircom IPS on open proxy lists.

If there was any companys offering VPNs on Eircom Res IPs I would even pay for that but I doubt there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

LA3G wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. It's actually my father that has DSL from Eircom so setting up a server there and ensuring it's always on when I need it is not really an option. I am going to try find Eircom IPS on open proxy lists.

If there was any companys offering VPNs on Eircom Res IPs I would even pay for that but I doubt there is.

Would seem like you buying your father a VPN enabled modem/router (which would all you to remotely connect to the modem/router and make your traffic look like it was coming from Eircom) would make more sense. Easy and cheap!
    A router which will run WRT (and then OpenVPN) might do the job (but yea would need to solve the problem of having a separate ADSL modem, I use a standard Netgear modem/router in 'passthrough mode')

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Could this be done with a Linksys?

Maybe something cheap like http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Linksys-WRT54G2-802-11b-g-Wireless-G-Broadband-/250922869951?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3a6c2b24bf?

Is it more hassle than it's worth to get an ADSL modem rather than just a router?

I'm assuming you are talking about connecting the second device up to the pre-existing Eircom Netopia 2247 - I'm very familiar with the configuration so I'm sure I can find the pass through option.

If you have the time, and you select something on eBay that will do what you have suggested, and I could use in my own home for a *WLAN after the exams I will order it this week.

*It does not even have to be ADSL (unless required for the VPN) as my home connection is basically Cat6/etc direct into the antenna on the roof, but if you think it's more cost effective for the future etc I would get an integrated modem-router instead.

Advertisement