Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Webmail Phishing

Options
  • 20-03-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Got a couple of calls yesterday about a phishing email specifically targetting Eircom Webmail customers. It's not a particularly sophisticated phishing email- it just asks recipients to email their username, password etc back or they'll have their email accounts permanently deleted in three days. However, it is well worded and seems to have provoked a response from customers worried that they'd loose their email so I thought it was worth giving the heads up on.

It's a fake of course, so if you get it, you shouldn't respond to it.

The full text is as follows:

Subject: Attention Webmail Account Owner,Upgrade Your Account Now

—– “Eircom Support Team” wrote:

Attn: Webmail Account Owner

This message is from web mail admin messaging center to all web mail

account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail

account center.

We are canceling unused web mail email account to create more space

for new accounts.To prevent your account from closing you will have to

update it below to know it’s status as a currently used account.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

Email Username : …………………………..

Email Password : ……………………………

Date of Birth : ……………………………..

Coutry of Territory:………………………….

Warning!!! Any account owner that refuses to update his/her account

within Three days of this update notification will loose his/her

account permanently.

Thank you for using web mail

Support Team

Warning Code :ID67565434

Contact email:webaccount

—————————————————————–

Find the home of your dreams with eircom net property Sign up for

email alerts now http://www.eircom.net/propertyalerts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

do people still use eircom webmail?
    why not join the rest of the world and go with gmail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

macnerdy wrote: »

How helpful.

Cheer's op no doubt there's a few people will get caught out by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

cork45 wrote: »
    How helpful.

Cheer's op no doubt there's a few people will get caught out by that.
    Ok...so hands up bad reply.
    the eircom.net service is small and completly out of touch of most email users. Gmail is free,allow's a couple of gb of space for free,allowys links to other gmail users, and is compatible with myspace,bebo etc accounts
    eircom.net is ....well...eircom.net
    I am just saying that as far as comercial reliability goes.....I would respond to a gmail request and ignore pretty much anything that ends with .eircom tag.Am I wrong in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 homehelptech

I know gmail has the market share now but there are still plenty of people out there who have eircom email addresses that for one reason or another they are wedded to.

I'm sure if they were starting their email today they might not use eircom but they are where they are and they have what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Wow another "are people still using X email service" type post.

Perhaps people had an established email address long before Gmail ever existed
    Perhaps we are not all sheep and decided not to jump aboard the Gmail bandwagon
    Perhaps you might consider moving to an email service that implements a preview pane (what, Gmail still doesn't have that feature as an option?)

Gmail is no more or less a free email service than any other free email service. They all have their positives and negatives.

The only stand out feature of Gmail is free POP3/IMPA. The vast majority of Gmail users who proclaim the greatness of Gmail probably haven't got the slightest idea of what POP3 is.

Personally I don't like desktop email clients so I couldn't care less about POP3/IMPA, I use Webmail notifier to automatically check my hotmail and yahoo accounts so I have zero incentive to move to Gmail.

Anyway, rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I am just saying that as far as comercial reliability goes.....I would respond to a gmail request and ignore pretty much anything that ends with .eircom tag.Am I wrong in this?

Why would you respond to a gmail request? Are you saying that gmail is completely immune to phishing scams? Personally I would never respond to any email looking for that kind of information.
    I have two eircom.net accounts as well as a gmail account. Admittedly the eircom accounts are used when signing up to services so all the notifications and spam-like mail goes there, while gmail is for my personal contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

mordeith wrote: »
    Why would you respond to a gmail request? Are you saying that gmail is completely immune to phishing scams? Personally I would never respond to any email looking for that kind of information.
    I have two eircom.net accounts as well as a gmail account. Admittedly the eircom accounts are used when signing up to services so all the notifications and spam-like mail goes there, while gmail is for my personal contacts.

You can just append a + to your gmail address when signing up for things then filter on that if you wanted.

I have an old eircom account I log into every now and then. I never did get upgraded to the new email system so im still rocking the old one. I recieve more phishing mail then anything else!

Advertisement