Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for Replacing clutch in T5 Transporter van

• 14-05-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

Clutch just went on me Transporter:( Anybody got any tips on replacing it?

its a '04 1.9tdi Engine code AXB, I believe it has a hydraulic release bearing which will also be replaced, & a dual mass flywheel, any tips also on establishing whether the flywheel needs to be changed or not when we get it apart?

Thanks
    Myles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Myles45 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Clutch just went on me Transporter:( Anybody got any tips on replacing it?

its a '04 1.9tdi Engine code AXB, I believe it has a hydraulic release bearing which will also be replaced, & a dual mass flywheel, any tips also on establishing whether the flywheel needs to be changed or not when we get it apart?

Thanks
    Myles
    I'd replace the DMF while your doing the clutch. Might cost a few € but it saves hardship down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Hi Myles,
    Not sure if you have a lift available for this, but I would imagine its not really feasible without one.
    The subframe has to be removed to get the box out,
    the normal beam used to suspend the engine needs 2 extra rails at each end to go between the shock tops and the front locking panel,
    this is by no means a small job even with all the correct ways of working.
    Flywheel should also be replaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Thanks Sitec / Crosshair,

It's actually my son & his mate who're going to be attempting this, they have a good bit of equipment & have done similar jobs on a variety of cars, but never a van.

They have jacks, & a winch bar to support the engine from above.

Do you know if the whole front panel can be tilted forward, apparently like some of the passats?

I think I will get the Flywheel replaced, as the van has just done 100k miles & I would imagine it's about time, although the van has only had very light use since new.Attachment not found. As you can see it's not your average van :D

Any special tools required?

Myles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Myles,
    Its not necessary or beneficial to remove any of the front like a passat,
    when I asked about a lift I meant 2 or 4 post
    The time given by autodata to do this job is 6.5 hrs,that is with all the correct ways of working
    I wont say it cant be done on the ground or over a put but it will be much more difficult and dangerous.
    you will need M14 splines for unbolting the bottom ball joints, a very long extension with M10(i think) at the end for the drives, mark the position of the subframe for refitting.
    from what i remember all of the bell housing bolts can be opened from underneath with the eng/box lowered.

Thanks for the advice so far, It seems on closer inspection that it may now actually be the drivers side drive shaft that is at fault & not the clutch, as with it jacked up the drivers side wheel will spin with the gears engaged & is making a rather unpleasant noise.!!:(

Has anyone come across this before on a transporter, is it a common fault & again, any tips on sorting out the problem?

Thanks
    Myles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

yeah, ive seen that problem before. you can buy all the bits from vw to sort it, with the gearbox in the van. ask them for an exploded diagram of the drive shaft assembley

Yeah, Thanks for that Hiluxman, I've done a bit more googling on it, & it seems to be a very common problem, apparently caused by VW not lubing the joint during manufacture.

cost for new driveshaft + gearbox flange is 650 euro incl vat:eek: & I thought the clutch was expensive!!

I've been searching for a second hand one but no luck so far.. they obviously don't hang around too long in the breakers

So if anyone reading this thread knows of a 2004 1.9TDi being broken for spares then please let me know.

Cheers
    Myles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

try partfinder.ie

Tried that Kasper & no good so far, they're a bit like the proverbial rocking horse s***

i dont think you need a complete shaft. does it not come apart in two halves at the carrier bearing?

• Advertisement

yes it does but I think you have to buy the complete shaft. not certain & will have to check that with the dealers.

Myles

the last time i didnt havent to buy the whole shaft, i think i only got the stub that sticks outa the gearbox and the drive shaft tube up as far as the carrier bearing. i think ya mite be gettin shafted bud!

Hi Hiluxman,

Yep your spot on, was a bit confused at first as I didn't realise that on these, the female end is on the inner drive shaft & the male stub shaft is on the gearbox. cost is a small bit less now at 460 euro incl vat. Thought I may be able to get them second hand, but tried most of UK & Ireland & no one has them, so bit the bullet & just ordered from VW:(

Thanks all for your help on this
    Myles

Advertisement