Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fixed line broadband service?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I'm looking to switch my fixed-line broadband service from Vodaphone and I wonder if people have experiences of alternatives such as eircom, Perlico, upc? Would you recommend them? Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelagg2000

Hi there,

I switched to perlico about 6 months ago to there 3MB phone and broadband bundle.I have had no problems, the wifi works great around the house and the free 30min calls to mobiles is handy also.We also get free calls to Irish and U.K. landlines all for €46 a month incl line rental? Actual broadband speed measurment is around 2.63mb according to speedtest.net so all in all I am very happy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PadraigOMorain

Thanks for that. Not crazy about Vodafone who bought BT customers like me recently and their broadband was gone for best part of 24 hours last week so it's interesting that you haven't had problems with Perlico and that their wifi is ok as I have people around the house wanting a decent connection.
    Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Mved from Nets/Comms to Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Far as I know Perlico are owned by Vodafone anyway so the actual service level is probably the same?

Utv could be an option but their miserly download caps mean you'll have to pay them an extra 6 quid per month for 'unlimited' usage.
    I was with them years ago but left when the customer service went downhill almost overnight combined with some poor contract/service issues.
    This may have changed now though?

As an ex-BT customer that was moved to Vodafone myself, I've decided to go to eircom after VF quoted me up to a month to move the service from my old house to the new one - despite there being an active line in the house. (unfortunately UPC isn't an option as I live in the country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

As an ex-BT customer that was moved to Vodafone myself, I've decided to go to eircom after VF quoted me up to a month to move the service from my old house to the new one - despite there being an active line in the house. (unfortunately UPC isn't an option as I live in the country).

Your prolly aware that Eircom have to actually do the switch. Theres been reports on here and word of mouth that they delay switches from other ISPS on purpose to try and sway customers towards them

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

It almost 100% depends on your location. I would honestly try to pin down exactly who is available in your address and then try and weigh them up against exactly what you want. Where one customer may want unlimited downloads whatever the cost, another customer may be very cost sensitive and so on.

The best advice is to get the specs from the companies and talk them through with the other people who may be impacted by the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As Rory says it depends on your location.

The best advice would be to ask people who live near by about their experiences with varying companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daisy Stringer

My experience of the situation in a rural area is that, despite having our phone service with another provider, we still had to wait 6 months for Eircom to upgrade the local exchange to get broadband. So it appears that Eircom control the actual availability, no matter what provider you're with, if your area is full to capacity.

A quick follow-up question please? I'm getting a new connection now for a fixed line connection, Eircom are the only ones that can provide the initial new phone connection to the house. The only option is a 6 month contract for my home phone with Eircom. Do I have to go with Eircom for the broadband through this line too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 neonvias

your so right about that eircom thing. thats why we changed to upc they use their own lines so they dont have this problem and from my own personal experience i get what they sold me :) i went for the 15mb broadband last year and a few days they upgraded me to 20mb. So if your looking for a good provider i would recommend them. i cant beleive the speeds im gettin

neonvias

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 PadraigOMorain

Since I started this thread we've switched to upc. Apart from some hiccups the service is fine. Thing is, our phones are with them too and I'm not sure if that's wise - all eggs in one basket. But they are miles better than vodaphone.
    Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

http://www.homevision.ie/broadband1.aspx#5

38 euro a month, no download limits. Up to 8 MB.

I just switched to UPC, 20 MB, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement