Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling condition are getting worse and worse

• 24-05-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Last Saturday I went for a small trip, just about 90km.
    A stones have been thrown at me , two guys in a car stopped in front of me and shown me a middle finger for no reason, and some drunk scumbag stopped me in the middle of the road trying to pull my backpack(had to push him really hard to stop him).
    Anyone else having similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

not reall.. dont think I have had any major trouble, whereas back in the UK sh!t seems to happen all the time.. one of the towns I previously lived in (before cycling) would have gotten ayou a daily muggin/spitting/throwing at by a pack of tracksuited kids if you dared travel by two wheels..

Ive always though most of dub ihas been great (even the supposedly 'rough' areas)

*Sorry - as I was typing I just remembered I had two kids throw bricks at me here.. but if you know the area you know the kids..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I experienced some pisstaking as I rolled through Dunboyne in full club kit at about 9.30pm last night, a few hours after the start of the RÁS.

Cue shouts of "you've missed it!", "go faster!", "allez allez!" etc from the pissheads outside the pub. :D

In your case I think the sunshine probably just brought out the scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've been lucky enough (touch wood!) I do find passing through Sandyford is the worst part of coming back from racing, people just don't yield right of way and I've had a few close calls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cycling into town previously and never had an issue, about to start cycling from citywest to blanch on the outer ring road so we'll see what thats like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Been cycling in and out of Dublin for years and never had these sort of experiences OP, whereabouts are you cycling ? (just so that I know where to avoid !)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

twinsen wrote: »
    Last Saturday I went for a small trip, just about 90km.
    A stones have been thrown at me , two guys in a car stopped in front of me and shown me a middle finger for no reason, and some drunk scumbag stopped me in the middle of the road trying to pull my backpack(had to push him really hard to stop him).
    Anyone else having similar experience?

Whereabouts did this happen?

I've been cycling in and out of dublin city for nearly 6 years and never had a single 'antisocial' incident. I dont cycle through any particularly rough areas, the odd bit of road rage, and once a bunch of boyos in a civic started shouting asking was I 'neil armstrong' :rolleyes: but nothing like stone throwing or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No problems either, I find the majority of motorists to be quite considerate. Not much you can do about scummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Middle finger in Phoenix park where i cycle every day, stones at Ballyfermot road, and drunk guy In Dun Laoghaire, Vico Road.
    Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, so came back home bit shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Middle finger in Phoenix park where i cycle every day,

Sounds like you were just unlucky and ran into a pack of assholes.
    stones at Ballyfermot road,

Hate to stereotype an entire area, but it wouldnt be the poshest area of Dublin
    and drunk guy In Dun Laoghaire, Vico Road.

Not really too familiar with the area, but from what I can remember, I'd say this is unfortunately also down to bad luck.

Stee wrote: »
    Not really too familiar with the area, but from what I can remember, I'd say this is unfortunately also down to bad luck.

It was probably Bono. I've cycled here a good few times, it's a nice road with a stunning view and a decent bit of ascending, not somewhere I would be worried about cycling. I think the OP just got very unlikely like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

Had an egg thrown at me while cycling in Castleknock a few months ago from a passing car. Also had a bottle of water sprayed at me in Colraine a few years back. Dip****s is all I can say. Cant wait for the oil to run out so they have to cycle themselves :D I think you were just unlucky OP to have encountered all that in one day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You were very unlucky, you'd encounter that in a few years but not one day. I've had very few incidents of note, one was when I was living in Dublin, I was heading up Vico road and some D4 heads in a golf (hard to imagine :rolleyes:) drove a couple of meters behind me. Recently some boyos in a souped up car were shouting abuse and they nearly crashed into another car becasue they were so interested in shouting abuse at us. One attempted pinched bottom. Variety of shouts, offerings of cigarettes (little did they know I smoked at the time :D) and other such comments. I don't think I've had anything thrown at me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Snowballs is the worst I ever got. I expected it and half enjoyed.

I used to cycle through Ballyfermot alot. Got not trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

km991148 wrote: »
    I had two kids throw bricks at me here.. but if you know the area you know the kids..

I had stones thrown at me there as well. Sadly, there are some kids there in Labre Park who seem determined to live down to the worst stereotypes.
    Knarr wrote: »
    Had an egg thrown at me while cycling in Castleknock a few months ago from a passing car.

There seems to be a problem with that around Castleknock/Carpenterstown. I haven't experienced it myself but I have seen the remains of eggs and eggshells splattered across the path on Carpenterstown Road. There was a thread about it that Daymobrew started (here).

In general I haven't had much bad luck with the sort of thing the OP is talking about. The stone-throwing is about the worst of it (touch wood, etc.).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've had teenage girls shouting comments about my package while stopped at the lights.

el tonto wrote: »
    I've had teenage girls shouting comments about my package while stopped at the lights.

Cycling home at night through town I have been asked to give them a crossbar. Need to work on my bike handling skills a bit first.

On thursday, while I was marshalling, saw a boy-racer-mobile passing the roundabout myself and Montac were on a few times. On the last occasion, he was going in the opposite direction of the race, he hit the gas exiting the roundabout. Car started to oversteer but he controlled it well. If you want to race, take it out to the track, don't use public roads. If he had lost it and crashed as the bunch were passing, it would have been disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

Have had objects thrown at me a few times. Two years ago a W***er threw a full bottle of Lucozade at me near Saggart. It hit me but didn't take me off bike. Imagine my anger then my glee when I caught up with him in Rathcoole. What makes it better is that he was parked in Centra (getting more Lucoz) cos he probably couldn't remember where he left his last bottle.

Imagine how happy I was that a conscientous Garda was just coming out of the station and after intervening locked up two of the assailants for giving him grief. They just can't help themselves.

How I smiled as they were led away;)........Whilst my mate had given them a few choice words (which they probably understood) before Garda intervened.

Anyway moral of the story is there are always these idiots around but don't loose faith. Oh and try and avoid the dodgy areas where you can. (no disrespect to Saggart, they were passing thru).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Cant wait for the oil to run out so they have to cycle themselves :D

Electric Cars dont need oil.
    Silent, extremely rapid acceleration.

Boy racers of the future. I predict many cyclist deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think that the behaviour of other road users towards cyclists is improving. That's an entirely subjective judgement, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It was last year, going to a very early 6.30am spin with PlanetX and .. (lime??) and there was a bunch of very drunk girls on the street, flashing their boobies as I passed. Thanks god there was no traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Some yobs, leaning out of a car and slapping my arse as they passed, up on the Glendalough road from Kilmacanogue. And up near Johnnie Foxes some travellers threw a full beer can at me. =D I could have done with it, but they missed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DinaElla

about a month ago heading up Croghan Hill in Offaly - small white van pulled up alongside and lads lent out the windows and did some kind of 'dance' before same name calling and finger signals .. was too busy struggling up the hill to care much to be honest

A good while back some young fella leant out the back window of the scobemobile he was in and dropped a banana skin on the road in front of me. I felt like I was in a game of Mario cart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It was last year, going to a very early 6.30am spin with PlanetX and .. (lime??) and there was a bunch of very drunk girls on the street, flashing their boobies as I passed. Thanks god there was no traffic!

Back for another lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

flickerx wrote: »
    Electric Cars dont need oil.

Where does the electricity come from?

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ah I always get the usual smart comments from kids when going by. Funny they never have the balls when I'm stopped at the lights!!! It always seems to be worst when wearing my pink Fassa Bortolo kit :)

Other than that the worst I had thrown at me was two lads in a car on Sally gap saturday gone who shouted "go on barry town wheelers". Got a laugh out of all of us.

Talking of sally gap area in case any of you are coming down hard on the descent towards roundwood climbing it last week I'd be careful and mindful of ignorant tourists. There was a bus load of them on a bridge approx 2/3's the way up it and they wouldn't move until I almost hit one of them. We shouted, whistled, waved but no pictures were more important than getting hit by a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah this sort of sh1t really gets to me... Surprised this issue hasnt been raised before.

In the last year.
    - bitten by a dog.. still havent been paid even though owners told the guards they would.
    - young lad put hand out of car trying to hit my backpack. (I wish he'd broken his fkn arm)
    - scumbag kids shouting abuse at me as I passed them. (numerous occasions)
    - lads in minibus roll down the window shouting at me.
    - lad on a giant tractor forced me in to ditch.

Zero respect for cyclists and getting progressively worse. Kids are scumbags, with no manners, and always feel they have to say something. And one day I'm gonna punch the fkn head off one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was stopped at Sutton cross waiting for the lights to filter right. I heard some shouts from a car coming up from behind. Instinctively i raised my hand to give them the finger while turning my head around. With my hand midway in the air and the car passing me i realized it was actually 4 beautiful women in a french registered car cheering and shouting "go Belgium go" etc.(i was wearing shorts with Belgium written on the back) Felt like a knob with my hand raised mid air and tried to turn it into a wave. I just smiled and had this awkward hand gesture

Also had a rear seat passenger in a golf on howth hill spray me with water. Kinda enjoyed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Group of us were cycling up along the coast on sunday, balbriggan, skerries rush etc etc, got nothing but abuse the whole way, fingers, hand gestures, cars driving way too close, shouts and abuse !! Hate them roads around there. And have to say i've never got that much abuse on a bike, ermmm like ever ! Odd car too close here or there but mostly nothing to write home about. Think it was just the heat made them all a bit hot headed ;)

On a positive note though the scenery was beautiful :)

• Advertisement

There seems to be a problem with that around Castleknock/Carpenterstown. I haven't experienced it myself but I have seen the remains of eggs and eggshells splattered across the path on Carpenterstown Road. There was a thread about it that Daymobrew started (here).

Thats over a year ago :eek:

Ye'd think theyd get bored of throwing eggs by now. That or got a job/left school.

That description is quite accurate aswell, it was an old car they were in. I guess they havnt updated to the electric car yet as outlined by flickerx :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I also think that the behaviour of other road users towards cyclists is improving. Drivers seem far more used to cyclists than a few years ago. Besides the odd knacker or drunks in taxis etc shouting something, often inaudible, I'm lucky enough not to have any thing flung at me.

But in saying that, as cycling increases there may be a few people who feel more aggravated by more cyclists on the road. These people will take longer to adjust. Scum bags meanwhile will remain scum bags.

What kind of roads and what areas are people cycling in when they get attacked?

I think the hot weather just brings out the worst in people when it comes to this sort of thing. People loose the run of themselves and get over excited with hot weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

in a 100 km cant have seen more than a few dozen cars - the joys of R roads in donegal i think one guy shoted out of a corolla didnt get if it was insulting or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

Can't say I've noticed any great change in the very occasional agro from other road users. What I have noticed is how terrible the road surface around Dublin has become. Potholes that could literally throw you from your bicycle are commonplace. With the long days at least you can see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

DFD.

It's made from smugness

I have never really had any hassle but I have never ventured out in full cycling gear. A kid was poised to throw a plastic bottle at me from close range on the North Strand a few years ago and I hit him in the face with about half a pint of chunky spit that I had just hoiked up.

I have never done that before or since.

Honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Although not condoning it has anyone ever gotten off their bike and dished out a few slaps to an offending party (or witnessed anyone doing it)? Thinking particularly if catching up with someone at lights etc. I'd hate to be in that position myself but have thought about it at times and believe that a few incidents, well publicised, where the cyclist hits back might lessen motorists and others' tendencies to see cyclists as easy fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

setanta159 wrote: »
    Although not condoning it has anyone ever gotten off their bike and dished out a few slaps to an offending party (or witnessed anyone doing it)? Thinking particularly if catching up with someone at lights etc. I'd hate to be in that position myself but have thought about it at times and believe that a few incidents, well publicised, where the cyclist hits back might lessen motorists and others' tendencies to see cyclists as easy fodder.

No comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Stopped at the lights at Ballybough one very cold morning last winter while wearing my balaclava. 2 young lads asked me was i going to shoot someone!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Stopped at the lights at Ballybough one very cold morning last winter while wearing my balaclava. 2 young lads asked me was i going to shoot someone!!
    And were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I've had a man in a white van try and chase/knock me down on Connaught Street in Phibsboro. I escaped by hopping on the path and breaking the lights. He thankfully got caught in traffic.

Another day at the road beside the Red Corner Golf Shop a car cut me off and stopped in my path. I gave out telling to use indicators etc. He mustn't have liked it as he started rolling up his sleeves to hit me. I easily deflated the situation by lifting my mtb a couple of inches off the ground and threatened... if he laid a finger on me his car would be wearing my bike.

That was 2005, thankfully nothing like that has happened since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

I was recently traveling in the long pavement in Limerick towards Thomond park. I was driving my father's camper van and had to stop at the level crossing as the Ennis train was passing. There was a line of cars in front of me and also a cyclist. As the gates at the level crossing opened, the traffic began to move on and I noticed about three hundred meters ahead, 2 or three kids preparing tennis ball sized rocks. These kids were no more than 7 or 8 and one of them was 4 or 5. I naturally presumed they were getting ready to pelt the rocks at the big obvious camper van driving through their turf and I began preparing for evasive action. However, surprise surprise, it was the cyclist who was the target, they hardly gave me a second glance. The cyclist didn't seem bothered in the slightest which is maybe only natural if you are used to cycling through that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Had a water balloon thrown at me on Townsend street. Bounced off my face! That was over five years ago.

Had a stone thrown at me on the Dual Carriage way in Ballybrit, Galway City. It missed thank god. That was actually thrown at me by an adult male!

The usual barely audible abuse and rude gestures from cars in Dublin and ever so witty remarks from summertime outdoor drunks.
    I don’t think its getting worse, in fact with more and more cyclists in Dublin it’ll probably improve.

On the plus side, very few problems with motorists in Galway, motorists often wave at me on quieter roads outside the city.

The funny thing about it is that with adults they are usually either drunk or in cars, you never get a sober pedestrian giving you abuse. These people are total cowards/inadequates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Had an egg thrown at me while cycling in Castleknock a few months ago from a passing car. Also had a bottle of water sprayed at me in Colraine a few years back.
    was heading up Vico road and some D4 heads in a golf (hard to imagine :rolleyes:) drove a couple of meters behind me. Recently some boyos in a souped up car were shouting abuse and they nearly crashed into another car becasue they were so interested in shouting abuse at us. One attempted pinched bottom.
    Some yobs, leaning out of a car and slapping my arse as they passed, up on the Glendalough road from Kilmacanogue. And up near Johnnie Foxes some travellers threw a full beer can at me. =D I could have done with it, but they missed :(
    c0rk3r wrote: »
    Also had a rear seat passenger in a golf on howth hill spray me with water. Kinda enjoyed that
    jaqian wrote: »
    I've had a man in a white van try and chase/knock me down on Connaught Street in Phibsboro. I escaped by hopping on the path and breaking the lights. He thankfully got caught in traffic.

Another day at the road beside the Red Corner Golf Shop a car cut me off and stopped in my path. I gave out telling to use indicators etc. He mustn't have liked it as he started rolling up his sleeves to hit me.

If this kind of stuff does happen, please report it to the Gardai (TrafficWatch line 1890-205805) with reg numbers. Tell them that you are prepared to give a statement, and take the 20 minutes out of your that will be needed to give a formal statement when you get the follow up call. At very least, they'll get a Garda calling to the door asking questions, which should soften their cough a bit - particularly if they are driving Mummy's car, and Mummy has to explain to the Garda what happened.

If this kind of stuff does happen, please report location with GPS coordinates and supporting photos/videos on boards.ie urgently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

If this kind of stuff does happen, please report it to the Gardai (TrafficWatch line 1890-205805) with reg numbers.

Didn't stick around to get the reg as self-preservation kicked in. Also not too sure what my position would be when the gards are told I threatened to throw my bike on his car.

I must have been jinxed reading this thread as I had a stone thrown at me on the Royal Canal. Thankfully they were crap shots and I was going quite fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Agreed! I nearly hit the kerb this evening as a girl with huge, soaking wet boobs was jogging down the promenade, wearing just a thin t-shirt for cover. Should have gone back for a second lap but my brain froze up :/
    setanta159 wrote: »

In one of my angrier moments a few years ago, I went to do exactly that!
    Some douche in a souped up Peugeot 206 lightly brushed me with his wing-mirror on a very close overtake - I managed to stay upright, and caught up with him at a roundabout and to say I was raging would be an understatement.

I don't remember how I dismounted, but it was fast and I had the drivers door of his car open before he knew what was going on..... but he looked so pathetic and scared looking up at me from his tiny little bucket seat that I just felt really stupid. Never done it since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

First incident for me tonight in Phoenix Park about 2015 at last set of bollards on S bend after coming down the kyber just before hospital.2 lads were on mtb's and this guy gets out of a car and starts calling them stupid f**kg c***ts etc etc,and looked like he wants to fight,about 25yrs ish.I am heading their way but ignoring it and as i pass the car which is stopped i got a spray of water (didn't notice the other scum in the car),didn't realise what happened until i was 30yds by and then i stopped,was a black VW polo or Golf i think, possibly 01 MH reg--i did another loop and was going to stop before them and get the reg on the way back but they were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

hawkwing wrote: »
    was a black VW polo or Golf i think, possibly 01 MH reg--i did another loop and was going to stop before them and get the reg on the way back but they were gone.
    Wasn't there a report on this forum of a black VW with MH reg doing some kind of hit-and-run around north County Dublin (Clonee or Dunshaughlin or something) a few weeks back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

A variety of sources at present.
    In the future:
    Newly constructed nuclear power plants.

If anyone thinks that the end of oil will somehow make stupid people change their stupid driving habits, and cure them of their lust for shiny motorised heavy fast moving pieces of metal, then I recommend they think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Cycling back tonight, coming out of the town, cars passes me and scum fires large brown bag (from chipper) at the spokes of my front wheel... A few hundred yards up the road, tossed the rest of the sh1te out of the car window. I HATE people who litter, particularly when the lazy b*stards could have brought it to the recycle place for free, and didnt appreciate their attempts to leave me in a bloody mess on the ground.

Like I said before I always find myself hoping that they meet a truck at the next corner. There such be new legislation brought in to make gratuitous endangerment of life for one's own fun/bravado an offence..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Wasn't there a report on this forum of a black VW with MH reg doing some kind of hit-and-run around north County Dublin (Clonee or Dunshaughlin or something) a few weeks back?

Or even Meath! :)

I'll almost give you Clonee, but not Dunshaughlin!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement