Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Attachment not found.
    jank kindly said to donate the 100 euros to the alzheimers society,as i thought this was a good jesture i doubled it to 200.
    first time ever sceenprinting something hope it works
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It worked, I lodged 100 to a radiothon in Cork for the Kids dept in the local hospital.
    Might have to listen to him from now on.... :rolleyes:

Brilliant lads, nice to see. Also fair play to jank for donating his winnings to worthy causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Attachment not found.
    jank kindly said to donate the 100 euros to the alzheimers society,as i thought this was a good jesture i doubled it to 200.
    first time ever sceenprinting something hope it works
    Very classy. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fair balls to those keeping their bets. They all settled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seems to be only one member that ever welched on a bet but thankfully he is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

RasTa wrote: »
    Seems to be only one member that ever welched on a bet but thankfully he is gone.

Name and Shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mixednuts wrote: »
    Name and Shame :D

Lookylad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Benetiz choose to buy more cheaper players than invest in one top quality player. It was a choice, he made it on a regular basis. Anyone who doesnt realise that is frankly delusional. You have x amount to spend. You can either buy one top top class player, or two average players.

Hang on, this is blatantly not true. How many times did it occur that rafa was desperate for a more expensive player, chase then and then be denied the funds to complete the deal and have to go for a cheaper option, despite the overall money actually being there. It looked to me to be a very definite tactic of the board to not put all the eggs in one basket.

Villa, Aguero, Alves, Vidic; time and time again he tried to bring in this calibre of player only to be blocked and forced to go for lower level cheaper targets; Morientes, Pennant, Agger. Keep in mind Rafa was not in charge of the money, he chased these players as far as the board let him and then had the reins pulled.

he obviously made mistakes in the transfer market, and plenty of them, but imo to say that he himself personally decided 2 average players was preferential to 1 top class player is not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    Lookylad?

lucky never made any bets. I think he means He Who Has Many Names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am back,anybody want to summarize the last 100 or so posts or do I have to read them.

Rafa was crap

No he wasn't

Charity up €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Just reading a couple other forums.

Suspicion by some Liverpool supporters that new owners are waiting in the wings and one of the conditions of the sale was Benitez had to go.

Benitez couldn't get the guarantees he wanted.

In any case, he was further away than ever from winning the league this season. And they didn't qualify for the champions league.

What hampered Benitez down through the years is that he couldn't beat the Stokes, Hulls or Birmingham's of the Premier League on a consistant basis and that inevitally means not being able to win the EPL.

He had more than enough good players to beat the poor teams and wasn't able to do it. That should tell anyone he wasn't cut out for winning the EPL and in no way could he blame the failure to beat rubbish teams on lack of funds or the owners. Bad management was the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Just reading a couple other forums.

Suspicion by some Liverpool supporters that new owners are waiting in the wings and one of the conditions of the sale was Benitez had to go.

Benitez couldn't get the guarantees he wanted.

In any case, he was further away than ever from winning the league this season. And they didn't qualify for the champions league.

What hampered Benitez down through the years is that he couldn't beat the Stokes, Hulls or Birmingham's of the Premier League on a consistant basis and that inevitally means not being able to win the EPL.

He had more than enough good players to beat the poor teams and wasn't able to do it. That should tell anyone he wasn't cut out for winning the EPL and in no way could he blame the failure to beat rubbish teams on lack of funds or the owners. Bad management was the reason.

Just going to ignore the previous posts were people pointed your obvious bull****?

Just going to ignore the previous posts were people pointed your obvious bull****?

Can you repeat that in English please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can you repeat that in English please?

I'm thinking, alot of previous posters believe you talk alot of bullshít, just a guess :D

Well I think I understand what you are saying despite it being a poorly constructed sentence.

My point all along has been that RB has made a hell of a lot of mistakes and has got zero value for money from the vast majority of his signings, so any new owners, waiting in the wings or not, would be insane to invest any more money in Benitez.

So if you are saying I've been inconsistant in what I said, you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Yeah.... I... had that suspicion. I'm not exactly a credible source

• Advertisement

I'm thinking, alot of previous posters believe you talk alot of bullshít, just a guess :D

A lot of posters talk bull**** on a lot of threads, yourself included.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A lot of posters talk bull**** on a lot of threads, yourself included.;)
    Example?

Example?

The one where you accused me of talking bullsh1t for a start.

Ignored from now on.

Ignored from now on.

I accused you..... I guess we are going to court;)

Ignored from now on..... PROMISE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ignored from now on.

lol, I'm pretty sure claiming Carragher and Ngog cost £10-£20m is bull****. Not to mention the other wrong ones other people pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

2 players?

Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani, Johnson, Kuyt.

Then you have the 10-20 million players, Benyuon, Mascarano, Reina, Carraghar, Babel, Ngog, and a couple more.

Liverpool are not a team made up of cheap players.

I won't mention Robbie Keane by the way.

One of the reasons for Liverpool's disastrous start to the 09/10 season was the absence of Alonso and the failure to replace him with a fit player.

You can't win titles without players like Alonso and with players like Aquilani.

I don't even know where to begin with this

You mention Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani, Johnson and Kuyt as being more than 20 million players yes?

Torres = 20
    Gerrard = Free
    Aquilani = 17
    Kuyt = 11/12 depending on what sources you read

Then you mention those that cost 10-20 million, and to be honest I had a good laugh reading these

Carra, like Gerrard = free
    Benayoun = 5.9
    Mascherano = 18
    Reina = 6-8
    Babel = 11.5
    N'gog = 1.5

Out of ten players, you miscalculated the cost of seven of them.

Fair play though, three out of ten is terrible even by todays rag journalism standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with this

You mention Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani, Johnson and Kuyt as being more than 20 million players yes?

Torres = 20
    Gerrard = Free
    Aquilani = 17
    Kuyt = 11/12 depending on what sources you read

Then you mention those that cost 10-20 million, and to be honest I had a good laugh reading these

Carra, like Gerrard = free
    Benayoun = 5.9
    Mascherano = 18
    Reina = 6-8
    Babel = 11.5
    N'gog = 1.5

Out of ten players, you miscalculated the cost of eight of them.

Fair play though, two out of ten is terrible even by todays rag journalism standards

So plasmaguy, a fairly comprehensive refuting of your post. Are you going to ignore that too or just disappear for a while and hope that people will forget about it, then pop on later and have another go? You do not seem to have a clue what you are talking about, you certainly appear to be here for only one reason and that is to slag off Rafa, you make up facts and figures to suit your agenda and then completely ignore it when they are disproven.

Where to go next, that is the question I suppose, I recommend that it is somewhere else for a while personally, you are really showing yourself up a bit here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

aaronh007 wrote: »

Fair play though, three out of ten is terrible even by todays rag journalism standards

Even Lawrenson gets 2/10 results right a week on bbc football site. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

noodler wrote: »
    No no, be very careful now - you are missing the argument completely.

If he wanted Keane, even as a second choice target, then Rafa takes the blame - the idea being that he asked for him.

You are bringing up the Barry over Keane argument which has been tacitly accepted but Thnax4thefish seemed to imply Rafa never wanted Keane at all.

See the difference?

Crucial assist in the win against Everton
    Crucial Assist in the win against Boro.
    Crucial goals in the win against Bolton
    Crucial goals in the win against West Brom
    Crucial goal in the game against Arsenal away.
    Crucial goal in the CL game away to Athletico.
    Less crucial goal at home to PSV.
    Less criucial assist for N'Gog away to PSV.

Nobody is saying he was at peak form but you don't invest that amount of money in a player and then let him go after 6 months (especially when your number 1 striker is turning out to be injury prone).

And if you do let him go that soon you have to accept that you made an incorrect judgement call to begin with overall.

Kind of grasping at straws a bit to suggest that every one of Keanes seven goals were 'crucial'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really hope for plasmaguy's sake he is genuinely just trying to troll people. Because if he actually believes the stuff he's spouting it is truly pitiful. Either way, his posts are indicative of the level most people are on out there with respect to football. You talk to people, and they really don't have a ****ing clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I really hope for plasmaguy's sake he is genuinely just trying to troll people. Because if he actually believes the stuff he's spouting it is truly pitiful. Either way, his posts are indicative of the level most people are on out there with respect to football. You talk to people, and they really don't have a ****ing clue.

Made for hilarious reading though, thought this thread was going to be a mind f*ck to read.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So plasmaguy, a fairly comprehensive refuting of your post. Are you going to ignore that too or just disappear for a while and hope that people will forget about it, then pop on later and have another go? You do not seem to have a clue what you are talking about, you certainly appear to be here for only one reason and that is to slag off Rafa, you make up facts and figures to suit your agenda and then completely ignore it when they are disproven.

Where to go next, that is the question I suppose, I recommend that it is somewhere else for a while personally, you are really showing yourself up a bit here...

Disappear for a while?

Mate I have a life..I don't hang out on Boards.ie all day waiting for someone to post, unlike you it appears.

I've read some idiotic posts on this thread from people who still think Rafa did a good job at Liverpool and if only he was given another chance, and if only the owners had given him money and if only Liverpool had ther owners and other such nonsense.

The guy spent 250 million pounds in 6 years and at the end of that delivered 7th in the league. The owners are obviously relatively shrewd businessmen and know that Rafa was a basketcase of a manger.

I'm finished with this thread now. I have no further interest discussing the matter. Liverpool have been transformed from a good team to a second rate team in a couple of years under Rafa, and second rate teams don't interest me. From now on I will be mainly in the Man Utd threads, discussing matters relating to real champions.

Good luck in the Europa League next year. And I really don't care if you think that's trolling or not.

Goodbye!

Disappear for a while?

Mate I have a life..I don't hang out on Boards.ie all day waiting for someone to post, unlike you it appears.

I've read some idiotic posts on this thread from people who still think Rafa did a good job at Liverpool and if only he was given another chance, and if only the owners had given him money and if only Liverpool had ther owners and other such nonsense.

The guy spent 250 million pounds in 6 years and at the end of that delivered 7th in the league. The owners are obviously relatively shrewd businessmen and know that Rafa was a basketcase of a manger.

I'm finished with this thread now. I have no further interest discussing the matter. Liverpool have been transformed from a good team to a second rate team in a couple of years under Rafa, and second rate teams don't interest me. From now on I will be mainly in the Man Utd threads, discussing matters relating to real champions.

Good luck in the Europa League next year. And I really don't care if you think that's trolling or not.

Goodbye!

You've come back to this thread on numerous occasions with half arsed ideas and bull**** facts to back up your pathetic arguments. Why? Because you think people actually care.

In other news, someone writes an article containing a balanced, and well researched opinion piece shocker! Critics beware, Alan hansen it is not!
    Rafa Benitez leaves Liverpool as a legend so could critics please stop rewriting history?

Right to the end the professional pundits failed to understand why so many Liverpudlians stayed loyal to Rafa Benitez.

As 500 fans marched on Anfield after his departure, chanting the Spaniard’s name, heads shook at a footballing sub-species bracketed somewhere between romantic die-hards and mawkish morons.

To the “expert” eye, these deluded fools had been conned by Benitez’s cunning and blinded to his failings by the glory of Istanbul and the criminal incompetence of the American owners.

Liverpool fans they said, once among the most knowledgeable in the world, had clearly lost touch with the modern reality, and were now a sad throwback to the days when sideburned men kicked orange balls.

Well, I’d argue one of the saddest aspects of modern football is too many pundits, including ex-players, have not paid to watch a game since those orange ball days. And they’ve lost touch with the fan.

I’m not saying Benitez had to stay. The results and the football last year were shocking, he’s been a major player in Anfield’s destructive civil war, and the number of fans disillusioned with his style and methods was growing.

But to paint his six-year reign as an unmitigated disaster, sustained only by the over-sentimentalising of Istanbul, is analysis at its most skewed and cringeful. By 2004 Liverpool had been relegated to the status of European also-rans. Benitez made the club a genuine world force again.

It wasn’t just that 2005 Champions League win (which is shamelessly downplayed as a fluke despite beating Fabio Capello’s Juventus, Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea and Carlo Ancelotti’s AC Milan). Or reaching the 2007 Champions League final and the 2008 semi-final. It wasn’t even UEFA elevating Liverpool to Europe’s top-seeded club due to results under Benitez.

It was beating Real Madrid and Inter Milan at the Bernabeu and San Siro (which the Reds had never before done) and Barcelona at the Nou Camp. Magical victories at the very top of world football, which restored long-overdue respect to Liverpudlian hearts.

Ah say the experts, but he didn’t win the league. True. But he got closer than any Liverpool boss in the past 20 years. A season ago he was a whisker away, taking the highest number of points by a runner-up in a 38-game season and the club’s best points haul since 1988.

And he did so despite having the 5th highest wage bill in the league, the 5th costliest squad, the 5th biggest stadium capacity and a net annual transfer spend of £15million. Which should have made experts ask why Liverpool were ever considered a nailed-on top four side under Benitez, especially when the boardroom was mired in anarchy.

Ah, they say, but he’d long lost the players and the board. So why have Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt and Pepe Reina signed new long-term contracts within the past year? Why last August did managing director Christian Purslow do interviews purring over Benitez and how he was integral to the club’s future?

Ah, the experts say, but that was before he let Xabi Alonso go, which everyone could see was a calamity. These would be the same experts who, for the previous couple of seasons, claimed Liverpool were a two-man team. With Alonso (on whom Benitez turned a £20million profit) never being mentioned as one of those two.

Ah, they say, but Torres apart, he only signed sub-standard dross and ended up with a shockingly-weak squad. Really?

Liverpool are sending 12 players (13 if you count Milan Jovanovic whose Bosman signing is going through) to the World Cup. Or an entire team: Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Babel, Gerrard, Mascherano, Rodriguez, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Kyrgiakos, Jovanovic.

Eleven Chelsea players flew out to South Africa, the same number as Arsenal, and Manchester United sent eight. Does that look like he’s left Anfield bare of talent?

The truth is Benitez leaves a squad worth many times more than the one he inherited, despite spending less in the past three transfer windows than he’s brought in.

I don’t seek to rewrite history or airbrush Benitez’s failings. I saw last year’s football and it stank. I felt the growing anger among players and fans at his bloody-mindedness and knew something had to give.

Which is why it may be best for all concerned that he walks on. But now he has, let’s do him the honour of getting his legacy right.

Rafa Benitez was many things at Liverpool but unlike every manager since Kenny Dalglish, he was not a failure. Indeed a majority of Liverpudlians will remember him as a legend.

Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

2 players?

Then you have the 10-20 million players, Benyuon, Mascarano, Reina, Carraghar, Babel, Ngog, and a couple more.

One of the reasons for Liverpool's disastrous start to the 09/10 season was the absence of Alonso and the failure to replace him with a fit player.

You can't win titles without players like Alonso and with players like Aquilani.

ok so this one im gonna jump on. been reading this whole thread and there is literally too much drivel and not enough time!! but kuyt didnt cost us in the 20mill bracke, he would bein the 10-20 bracket. gerrard was free. it is quite pathetic how many people have been taking single dealings completely out of of context and using them to bash rafa with. Most actual football fans will know what I'm referring to here, plenty of examples. It is pathetic. Plasmaguy, lol just lol!! You are a utd fan yes?? just for the record..

oh and as for your comment that you do not win titles with players like aquaman, you willing to bet so that aquaman does in fact win a league title before he retires?? I hate such sweeping statements as this which are clearly false. Do you think that by making such big statements they gain more credibility or something??

It is funny how small the line is between success and failure in football sometimes. We were literally 2 or 3 goals away from winning the league title with Rafa and if this happened he wouldve been a legend, full stop! Or perhaps if macheda hadnt scored that goal against villa in the dying seconds might have done...but now we are without rafa and people are viewing him as a failure. Pity.

Oh and let me pose a question, which would people prefer going into next season? Rafa plus 6mill onto whatever transfer budget we have or MoN minus 6mill? Honestly

• Advertisement

2 players?

oh my good lord. i just re read your post and the post it was replying to. You purposely disregarded his post to make your sound better. He said that during the 08/09 season when we challenged for the title we had 2 20mill players in the squad and you proceed to name johnson and aquaman as examples of players that were in our squad and cost that much. NEITHER OF THEM PLAYED FOR US THAT YEAR YOU MELON!!

Then if you read on it is quite clear you are either on a wind up or have no football knowledge at all as you name n'gog in the 10-20 mill bracket. He cost us 1.5mill you plum!! Benny is also named in the 10-20mill bracket. He cost us 6mill i think. Reina was also 6 mill not 10-20mill...

So which one of these two guys do you wanna be? Are you on a clear wind up i.e. trolling or are you just completed morronic with no footballing knowledge whatsoever?? In which case we can all from now on just smile at your posts saying 'awww, look at him try to talk about football as if he knows stuff. isnt he cute?? Would you like a soda, big guy??'

Calm before the storm, just going off to his random comment generator and seeing what pops out.

You mean his comments are formed in the same way as an episode of Family Guy?? Awesome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

there's no chance in hell im reading through this thread to find my answer

so just a quick question

is MayorDenis gone ?

For the record, how is it that people have forgotton already that Moores loaned the club £10m to buy Kuyt? Actually, he was repaid by the club with 385000 interest added on so technically Kuyt cost the club £10.3m.

Headshot wrote: »

so just a quick question

is MayorDenis gone ?

MayorDenis who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed he did. He also sold players like Alonso, Crouch and Bellamy, which are included in the 250. It would be disingenuous to ignore that of course. 3 of those just wanted to move on, as happens. A few others gave us decent service and moved on, Garcia and Sissoko eg.

A good few were crap but bought at cheap prices. Gambles.

Biggest failure, Keane and it is debatable how much that was down to Rafa. Acquilani is too early to tell. I do realise it is pointless mentioning this stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

plasmaguy....
    say your boggles.. please :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Headshot wrote: »

so just a quick question

is MayorDenis gone ?

Yeap!
    All debts paid afaik but would like to see a receipt of some sort from ShamoBuc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Is that Boggles and MayorDenis gone now? These bets are fcuking stupid lads. Welshers me hole -- if you didn't bet money, it's not a bet. Unless your a five year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I for one definatly think you shouldn't be allowed gamble your soccer access. when you see some of the crap some people write it makes you appreciate the good posters even more , yet we have lost some over bets, I believe that it us at a loss aswell as them

I for one definatly think you shouldn't be allowed gamble your soccer access. when you see some of the crap some people write it makes you appreciate the good posters even more , yet we have lost some over bets, I believe that it us at a loss aswell as them

I think it's stupid too.

I think we should be allowed to vote to have people's access taken away from them though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You know I was reading the quotes from Rafa agian this morning and his YWNA and all that sounded like a guy who truly loved the club, however if he truly loved the cluib surely he would have agreed to go with no pay off? I mean he is already a very wealthy man he will no doubt get another job yet he took 6 million from a club he is meant to love when they are in serious debt.

Soccer today does make you wonder sometimes how much Love for clubs and fans really exists in the dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Because thats what most people are like. I'm sure he is fond of the club. Just not fond enough to give back his payout. Not many people would to be fair. A small percentage.

What would be the point anyway? The owners would just put it towards their debt. It's not like the next manager would get to spent it in the transfer market.

Besides, I'm sure he wants to see Liverpool do well. Just not now. Maybe in a season or two. Most people would have the personal desire to see their replacement fail. Prove to everyone "a mistake was made and it wouldn't have happened if he had stayed!" Human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They made a bet and they have to stick to it, simple as. Otherwise they're just proven to be all mouth. If you're going to be stupid enough to bet something you either can't afford to lose or really don't want to lose , then don't bet...simple as.

I think it's up to each indivudual what they want to gamble on, we're not kids that need to be told what to do (i know;-) ). However I think the users should agree on a set time for losers of such bets to serve at time of of the bet as I agree it's stupid to be losing such good contributers as Mayor Denis and Boggles.

Failing that the community choud have a poll on how long such "sentence" should be and agree not to hassle the users on their return ( a la SOTS) once they serve that sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Either way...it's too late now. They bet their access...they lost. Bye bye.

In other news, someone writes an article containing a balanced, and well researched opinion piece shocker! Critics beware, Alan hansen it is not!

I would't consider that Brian Reade of the Mirror's article Balanced.
    Well, I’d argue one of the saddest aspects of modern football is too many pundits, including ex-players, have not paid to watch a game since those orange ball days. And they’ve lost touch with the fan.

What has paying to watch a game got to do with one's ability to form an opinion on a teams performance?
    Benitez made the club a genuine world force again.

Did he really, 7th in the premiership, out of the CL early and not qualifing for next seasons tells a different tale. I dont think the even the Mr Al's of this world believe liverpools current squad is a "World Force" in football.

Ah, they say, but Torres apart, he only signed sub-standard dross and ended up with a shockingly-weak squad. Really?

Liverpool are sending 12 players (13 if you count Milan Jovanovic whose Bosman signing is going through) to the World Cup.

So is North korea.
    Rafa Benitez was many things at Liverpool but unlike every manager since Kenny Dalglish, he was not a failure. Indeed a majority of Liverpudlians will remember him as a legend.

Theres is a debate here that houliers squad was as good as the current squad, I think theres very little in it. Houlier won quite a bit with the team , remember the treble all be it of the plastic variety;-) so for the author to lable Houlier as a failure yet claims Rafa will be remembered as a Legend is not a balanced argument IMO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

In other news, someone writes an article containing a balanced, and well researched opinion piece propaganda shocker!

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

The Muppet wrote: »
    I would't consider that Brian Reade of the Mirror's article Balanced.

What has paying to watch a game got to do with one's ability to form an opinion on a teams performance?
    I would think he uses this as a form of literary rhetoric, to highlight that pundits have lost touch with fans. From the forums I've been reading the opinion of the fan and the pundit definitely differ.

Did he really, 7th in the premiership, out of the CL early and not qualifing for next seasons tells a different tale. I dont think the even the Mr Al's of this world believe liverpools current squad is a "World Force" in football.
    Thats one season in 6. With a squad that lost one player. Not a great season I grant you

So is North korea.
    So are the Netherlands, Spain... I dont see your comparisson?

Theres is a debate here that houliers squad was as good as the current squad, I think theres very little in it. Houlier won quite a bit with the team , remember the treble all be it of the plastic variety;-)
    3/4 years before his saking
    so for the author to lable Houlier as a failure yet claims Rafa will be remembered as a Legend is not a balanced argument IMO.
    Where does he mention Houllier in that article. Where does he mention he was a failure? I personally haven't forgotten Houllier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Totally agree, The betting of access is childish. It will get to the stage that anyone who has an opinion or who thinks something will happen, will be challenged with "bet your football forum access if you think you are right", and more often than not the child making the challenge does not bet their own access and wants to bet money against the other person's access.

Stupid ****e that has already cost the forum a few decent posters in the likes of Denis and Boggles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement