Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron woes

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I got called by a friend today about some wireless conectivity problems with his Inspiron 1720 (with the Dell 1390 Wireless card),so i took a quick peek,but I'm stumped with the blasted thing... It can connect to his EIRCOM Netopia router, but it can't Send Or Receive information at all... The strange part is that the same issue turned out to be present then using an Ethernet cable directly to the router... So,I'm open to any suggestions what might cause this behaviour (what i remember from his system):
    Genuine MS Vista Sp2 Home Deluxe
    Laptop - Dell Inspiron 1720
    WLAN - Dell 1390 <- latest driver already installed
    Video - Nvidia GF8400M

Edit: My personal Compaq 615 (Win7 Ultimate) connected without a problem to his router and apparently the problem was occuring only on that Inspiron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you tried telling vista to fix it automatically?

If you go into the adaptor properties you can ensure that your IP hasnt been set to a static. I've had this happen when I've set up Adhoc networks before, bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

Good suggestion,sadly I've tried it,doesn't work... Same goes for powercycling ... :(

Firewall set to lockdown?

Tried all Firewall combos,even checked to see if there was an additional firewall installed ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

can you ping the router , external ips ?

• Advertisement

Nope,I get either Ping: General Fault or Ping: Error 1234 or PING: transmit failed, error code 1231.

A bit of digging later i discovered the culprit y'all... There used to be a Norton Internet Security installed on that DELL and someone tried to uninstall it the wrong way. So a quick Norton Removal Tool later and the computer was working without a hitch... Thanks for the help :)

bk109 wrote: »
    A bit of digging later i discovered the culprit y'all... There used to be a Norton Internet Security installed on that DELL and someone tried to uninstall it the wrong way. So a quick Norton Removal Tool later and the computer was working without a hitch... Thanks for the help :)

There is a reason why I dont like Norton, ever since that catastrophe that was 360 I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.

Advertisement