Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No! I believe both businesses operate in tandem with each other and are owned by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

A little bit of good news for a change.

Enniscorthy Castle have been announced as winners of the Chambers Ireland, Excellence in Local Government award in the Supporting Tourism category.

Read all about it here:

http://visitwexford.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jordata wrote: »
    A little bit of good news for a change.

Enniscorthy Castle have been announced as winners of the Chambers Ireland, Excellence in Local Government award in the Supporting Tourism category.

Read all about it here:

http://visitwexford.wordpress.com/

Good stuff but 99% of the interesting exhibits aren't on display.

I couldn't care less about the former owners furniture,there's better stuff that could be on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

here's one for JD, (I haven't really been around for a while so this may have been discussed) tried going onto the Enniscorthy Tourism website last night but It was nowhere to be found. Tried it this morning, looks like the page is being held but no actual site

Ian7 wrote: »
    here's one for JD, (I haven't really been around for a while so this may have been discussed) tried going onto the Enniscorthy Tourism website last night but It was nowhere to be found. Tried it this morning, looks like the page is being held but no actual site

Funny, I was only thinking of checking it out again today - a month or so ago it was still there, error riddled as before but now it's gone. http://www.enniscorthytourism.com/

No doubt it will return soon, all singing, all dancing and still riddled with typos. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Funny, I was only thinking of checking it out again today - a month or so ago it was still there, error riddled as before but now it's gone. http://www.enniscorthytourism.com/

No doubt it will return soon, all singing, all dancing and still riddled with typos. :D

Rebranding for The Gathering perchance?

kneemos wrote: »
    Rebranding for The Gathering perchance?

Sure doesn't the town have "The Gathering" every Summer when the travellers arrive for their holidays & to see the relations?

Anybody know the reason for the armed Garda checkpoint in the town? Heard something went down in Clonroche the other day alright so was the checkpoint related to this?

Oh yeah,the erection of the Christmas lights in the town is in full swing,now to have some decent stores for the public to visit to do the Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

RKQ wrote: »
    Attachment not found.
    Disappointing to see such a poorly finished repair to a footpath in Father Cullen Terrace.
    Its an accident waiting to happen.

Workers came back last Wednesday to dig up path & pour new concrete.
    Job done at long last.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

zerks wrote: »
    Anybody know the reason for the armed Garda checkpoint in the town? Heard something went down in Clonroche the other day alright so was the checkpoint related to this?

Gardai raid premises between clonroche and rathnure for guns. A lot of activity out that way.

• Advertisement

Very fancy new Xmas lights up around town.

On another topic,has anyone heard of a new nightclub due to open in town?

According to the Enniscorthy Guardian the new lights cost €40,000 - I hope they are worth it and now all we need is a few shops for all the people the illuminations draw to the town. However, with council rates already too high, and set to increase, and with a few property owners owning multiple properties who are happy to look for outrageous rents while their premises lie empty for years at a time.....:(

More empty units turn off shoppers,the domino effect means that less shoppers means more shops closing and we're in a vicious circle.

In contrast,Wexford was a hive of activity this morning,plenty of shops open attracting plenty of shoppers.

If I was a retailer it wouldn't take much to recognise the more attractive option when looking for a store location.

At least the new lights might look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

O'Learys Skoda dealership out the Old Dublin Road has closed down. Some jobs transferred to Wexford town (where they are going to concentrate of VW sales), the remaining staff made redundant.

Donohues have taken over Skoda sales.

I noted that the "Cash Encounters" shop on Main Street has had its windows replaced with plywood over the weekend - presumably the temptation of used laptops, electric guitars etc. became too much for somebody. All part of Enniscorthy's zero tolerance policing policy. :rolleyes:

The Seamus Rafter bridge at 9.30am this morning. The public drinking seating areas had already been covered by the rising water. Apparently lunchtime could be critical.

SLANEY%2B002.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Nice pics. I'd like to know what its like after the 1pm as I'm in Wexford and hope to get back over that bridge this evening.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Nice pics. I'd like to know what its like after the 1pm as I'm in Wexford and hope to get back over that bridge this evening.

The level has dropped back now and you should have no problem - water never reached the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just looking at the pictures there, does anyone know when the new work is due to start in Enniscorthy that was unveiled some time ago to alleviate any flooding problems

the kelt wrote: »
    Just looking at the pictures there, does anyone know when the new work is due to start in Enniscorthy that was unveiled some time ago to alleviate any flooding problems

I think a bigger plan has been formulated which includes the demolition of the new bridge,if this ever happens a new bridge would need to be constructed down river before work begins presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

kneemos wrote: »
    I think a bigger plan has been formulated which includes the demolition of the new bridge,if this ever happens a new bridge would need to be constructed down river before work begins presumably.

This was unveiled as part of the plans, a new bridge close to the Riverside Hotel, it was plastered over the local papers a while ago but just wondering if there was any more on it.

Looks like it's back,can't tell if it's any different as I've never seen it before.

As I suspected, it's back and full of misinformation, typos and general bs. It was July 2011 that I supplied a corrected print-out of the entire website to the Town Development Officer. An extract from said official's email to me at the time:-

'Many thanks for your email and for taking the time to meet on Tuesday evening. As I mentioned, we are currently in the throes of updating the Enniscorthy Tourism website. This is a work-in-progress but you should begin to see small changes even now as updated business entries are being added to the site. We will also cross-reference your feedback to ensure it is incorporated.' 7/7/2011

Cllr John O' Rourke wants the owners of empty shop units to brighten them up for Christmas,they'd be better served lowering rents & getting tenants.

Sorry John,an empty shop is an empty shop,no matter how nice the window looks.

zerks wrote: »
    Cllr John O' Rourke wants the owners of empty shop units to brighten them up for Christmas,they'd be better served lowering rents & getting tenants.

Sorry John,an empty shop is an empty shop,no matter how nice the window looks.

It seems to have caught on - the owners of the former Crystal Script premises on Castle Hill (Hughes Blake) have blanked out all their windows with advertising panels. It looks better than when the windows were empty but at the end of the day it's still a vacant premises.

Had a stroll along the Main Street in Wexford this morning,plenty of shoppers all spending a few quid in the town & even shopfitters working in a couple of empty units so signs of new stores opening.
    Enniscorthy was the polar opposite,the only busy places were the Post Office (pension day) & the Credit Union,apart from that the town was pretty dead.

What also greeted me as I drove into the town was the sight of CBS pupils surrounded by rubbish in the Square & along The Quay.Perhaps they should be taught in school the art of using a bin.

The lights were officially switched on today by Santa,the kids enjoyed it despite the cold.The mc called for people to stay & spend a few bob in the town but like myself,the majority headed home.Apart from the crowd in the Square,the town was almost deserted.

Got this in the Waterford City Thread,wonder how long before similar happens here,especially with a mooted rise in Rates come January.

546810_4810131172375_527361615_n.jpg

The Enniscorthy Guardian carried a piece this week about the rather attractive 2013 calendar produced for the town by a Polish photographer who lives locally - unsurprisingly the photos accompanying the piece did not feature the photographer but were instead of local FF worthies Cllr.Keith Doyle and John "O'Brien's Sandwich Bar" Browne TD. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Any views on lights? They look like quality fixtures from the ground although I have been told parts of the fittings on Castle Hill aren't working but I am not sure if that's true. Personally I thought they were sparse and a bit to modern, not enough colour.
    Regardless of the decoration the "buzz" is missing from town and as has been said already in this forum Wexford town has a lot more activity. I have been in wexford town three times in the last two weeks and it has been busy.

Advertisement