Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend DSL modems - Eircom's ADSL 2+

• 15-06-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does anyone know of DSL modems that are compatible and stable with Eircom's faster ADSL 2+ speeds (in excess of 7.5Mb/s). They need to include "Extended Frame Sequencing" in their DSL signaling to actually work correctly.

A lot of modems out there are ADSL 2+ compliant but don't have EFS (which according to the standard is optional anyway) and every now and then they drop signal when running at 12Mbps. Eventually eircom throttles our speed back to 7.5Mbps after enough drops and it stays stable until they increase it again to 12Mbps.

We can no longer get Zyxel gear from our main supplier so are there any other Manufacturers people would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I use a Draytek 2710n and am very happy with the product

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~127955~/Draytek%20Vigor%202710N%20Wireless%20SoHo%20ADSL2%2F2%2B%20Router.htm

Does anyone know of DSL modems that are compatible and stable with Eircom's faster ADSL 2+ speeds (in excess of 7.5Mb/s). They need to include "Extended Frame Sequencing" in their DSL signaling to actually work correctly.

A lot of modems out there are ADSL 2+ compliant but don't have EFS (which according to the standard is optional anyway) and every now and then they drop signal when running at 12Mbps. Eventually eircom throttles our speed back to 7.5Mbps after enough drops and it stays stable until they increase it again to 12Mbps.

We can no longer get Zyxel gear from our main supplier so are there any other Manufacturers people would recommend?

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Have you tested them on fast broadband like 12Mbps and upwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Yes, I'm getting consistent 12MB on the 24MB Eircom package

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Have you tested them on fast broadband like 12Mbps and upwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

I have the Draytek 2820Vn on Eircom's 24Mb ADSL2+, it sync's at the full 24Mb (totally stable, no disconnects) and was the only router I tried to do so. The Netopia 2247 sync was 23Mb (totally stable, no disconnects) and the Eircom Zyxel was 21Mb (rubbish! not stable), the Zyxel that Eircom supply is a joke though, the skip is the best place for that!

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~127636~WW~/Draytek%20Vigor%202820VN%20Wireless%20N%20ADSL2%2F2%2B%20Firewall%20Router%20with%20VOIP.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hey, I hope it's ok to bump this, if not I will start a new one. I have the Eircom Zyxel and it really is hopeless and drops connections all the time. Would like to get a new one but the Draytek's mentioned already are €150+. Can anyone recommend a ADSL2+ modem that's sub €100?

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey, I hope it's ok to bump this, if not I will start a new one. I have the Eircom Zyxel and it really is hopeless and drops connections all the time. Would like to get a new one but the Draytek's mentioned already are €150+. Can anyone recommend a ADSL2+ modem that's sub €100?
    Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I can add to your experience with those Eircom Zyxel's. We've had ours about 6 months, the last 3 have been pretty awful. Almost one drop per day and we're in a decent broadband area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This seems to be everyone's experience with that modem. I am actually using the old netopia modem right now, much slower speeds as adsl 2+ is not supported but at least my connection is stable.

Advertisement