Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you able to use any router in your Dsl (telephone socket) for broadband?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi....I'm with eircom and have a ZyXEL router (not sure exactly what model) and it keeps disconnecting and I'm getting sick of it :(........I have seen loads of really fast modems Wireless-n etc... and i was wondering am I able to plug any router into my Dsl or telephone socket and it will work regardless of my speed or what way does it work.....? Thanks.....Dean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Yep, just make sure you get the settings off eircom. I think they're on the support website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wireless standard (b/g/n) has nothing to do with your broadband speed. Disconnects are often down to poor line stats. You need to check your stats and post them. To do this, log into the router, http://192.168.1.254 usually. Not sure where you'll find them on that modem, probably under Stats or WAN config.

You're looking for the Line Attenuation, and SNR if possible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to be systematic in trying to find out where your problems lie.

For example if you are using wireless - is it the wirless connection thats the problem or are you actually losing your internet connection?

Also if you are thinking of trying to improve your wireless speed or coverage in the house - no matter what the ads say it is impossible to know in advance how any wireless router will perform in a given situation as virtually every situation is unique.

Try changing the wireless channel. Virtually every home now seems to have a wireless network (just try walking along a street with any internet capable phone with its wirless switched on and see how many wireless networks you will pick up) - it is very easy for wireless networks to interfere with each other if they are all on the same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

Yeah thats helpful but it's my xbox 360......i would be playing the xbox for roughly 30-45 mins and it would disconnect just like that......but the weird thing is my signal never drops on my laptop (pc) so I really dont know what it is. I've called eircom a million times, and since it's the new black modem ZyXEL they tell me that "this is only a new modem and we are trying to work out how to use it ourselves" like wtf? :eek:. And i have 1 more question? If.....IF i got a new modem router thats not from eircom and plugged it in would it be still really fast regardless of what my speed is with eircom. (eg.) if im only on 1mb broadband and the modem im getting is capable of 300mb per second wireless-N etc..will that be faster then my router now? And my line attenuation is as follows : Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 27 dB /15 dB. Haven't got a clue what that means sooo...... Thanks........Dean

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Is your xbox plugged directly into your router with a ethernet cable? or wireless?

• Advertisement

Sorry emm its wireless :)

blubloblu wrote: »
    Yep, just make sure you get the settings off eircom. I think they're on the support website.
    And when you put where do you out these settings in on the eircom config page or wer?

jor el wrote: »
    Wireless standard (b/g/n) has nothing to do with your broadband speed. Disconnects are often down to poor line stats. You need to check your stats and post them. To do this, log into the router, http://192.168.1.254 usually. Not sure where you'll find them on that modem, probably under Stats or WAN config.

You're looking for the Line Attenuation, and SNR if possible.
    My Line Attenuation is

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 27 dB /15 dB. What does this mean?
    And also could i be getting disconnected from xbox live because of my speed on my line its only 1mb :mad: And som people are saying elsewhere that its because of my channel, my channel is on the 1st one [1] what other channles will i try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

Only had a quick read of the problem, if it does end up being the wireless connection dropping you could try this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66590378#post66590378

I

Only had a quick read of the problem, if it does end up being the wireless connection dropping you could try this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66590378#post66590378

I
    Thanks :D .........Does that replace the need of a xbox 360 adapter?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dean. wrote: »
    IF i got a new modem router thats not from eircom and plugged it in would it be still really fast regardless of what my speed is with eircom. (eg.) if im only on 1mb broadband and the modem im getting is capable of 300mb per second wireless-N etc..will that be faster then my router now?

The speed of the Wifi network has little to do with the speed of your broadband, except if the broadband speed exceeds the speed of the Wifi network. In short, no, it will make no difference. If you only have 1Mbps broadband, then even a 1Tbps (if it existed) router won't change that.

If your problems are disconnections, then speed probably has nothing to do with it. You need to figure out is it the Wifi network or the broadband that is disconnecting, and take it from there.
    And my line attenuation is as follows : Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 27 dB /15 dB. Haven't got a clue what that means sooo...... Thanks........Dean

27dB is fine, and your line should support up to 8Mbps easily.

jor el wrote: »
    The speed of the Wifi network has little to do with the speed of your broadband, except if the broadband speed exceeds the speed of the Wifi network. In short, no, it will make no difference. If you only have 1Mbps broadband, then even a 1Tbps (if it existed) router won't change that.

If your problems are disconnections, then speed probably has nothing to do with it. You need to figure out is it the Wifi network or the broadband that is disconnecting, and take it from there.

27dB is fine, and your line should support up to 8Mbps easily.
    Yeah it does it supports 7.6mb te be exact, and it's not the line that drops both eircom and I no that, because the connection will only drop on the xbox it will NEVER drop on the laptop (pc), soo is there anythin else you might know bout that if not???......thanks very much for your help!:)............Dean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

My xbox live disconnects too.

Line Attenuation 55/31 dB

Can anyone tell my anything about my line with that stat?

jenno86 wrote: »

I think you hava lot of mb in your line :eek: but does yours only disconnect from xbox or both xbox and laptop.....

Thanks :D .........Does that replace the need of a xbox 360 adapter?:confused:

Powerline users the power sockets in your house to create a network so there's no need to run a cable through the house. Plug in 1 powerline adaptor close to the router, connect it with an rj-45 cable (standard LAN network cable) to the router. Plug in another powerline adaptor close to the xbox & run another rj-45 to the xbox. There is no need to use a wireless adaptor - I presume you mean the "wireless" xbox 360 adaptor.

If you find the problem is with the wireless network in your house, this is a workable solution, though some houses with old wiring might have problems. If the problem is with your router or the eircom line, this won't help at all.

You still haven't found out if the problem is internal or external. I would suggest you try using the xbox without the wireless adaptor (buying a long rj-45 cable or ask a friend if they have one you can borrow if needed). If you no longer get any disconnects that way, the problem is with the wireless signal. From there you have 3 options:
    1. use a cable
    2. buy a wireless signal booster
    3. use the powerline adaptors

GL & HF

Powerline users the power sockets in your house to create a network so there's no need to run a cable through the house. Plug in 1 powerline adaptor close to the router, connect it with an rj-45 cable (standard LAN network cable) to the router. Plug in another powerline adaptor close to the xbox & run another rj-45 to the xbox. There is no need to use a wireless adaptor - I presume you mean the "wireless" xbox 360 adaptor.

If you find the problem is with the wireless network in your house, this is a workable solution, though some houses with old wiring might have problems. If the problem is with your router or the eircom line, this won't help at all.

You still haven't found out if the problem is internal or external. I would suggest you try using the xbox without the wireless adaptor (buying a long rj-45 cable or ask a friend if they have one you can borrow if needed). If you no longer get any disconnects that way, the problem is with the wireless signal. From there you have 3 options:
    1. use a cable

GL & HF
    Thanks very much for that help there...Cheers.......Whats a wireless booster..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jenno86 wrote: »

Its not great!

Have a read here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

1. use a cable

GL & HF
    I have found out that the problem is the wireless.....I have just done the test thing you asked me to do, i plugged in my ethernet straight from my router and it didn't disconnect.....Thanks but do you no what I should do now?

1. use a cable & run it from the router to the xbox

An ethernet cable will get the best results but it can be messy if its running through the house, thats where a powerline adaptor is great. The wireless signal booster does exactly what it says, boosts the wireless signal - though without finding out what is causing your wireless signal to get swamped it might be a waste of money. The cause might be anything from a wireless house phone to someone nearby with another wireless network. I gave up & went with powerline & it's been in constant use for the last 3 years without a problem.

1. use a cable & run it from the router to the xbox

An ethernet cable will get the best results but it can be messy if its running through the house, thats where a powerline adaptor is great. The wireless signal booster does exactly what it says, boosts the wireless signal - though without finding out what is causing your wireless signal to get swamped it might be a waste of money. The cause might be anything from a wireless house phone to someone nearby with another wireless network. I gave up & went with powerline & it's been in constant use for the last 3 years without a problem.
    Thanks very much but what's the powerline adapter again sorry .......:confused:

• Advertisement

See post 16 above or use google.

See post 16 above or use google.
    OHhh yea sorry thanks for the help mate.....
    Dean.

Advertisement