Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT610N router & Netopia modem?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the Net & Comms sub-forum, so if the mods wish to move it feel free.

I would like to update my current network (an Eircom Netopia 2247WG modem/router, 1 PC, 2 Macs (older Mac Mini & new MBP), gigabit NAS) to make use of gigabit Ethernet and dual-band N-wireless technology.

Since Linksys don't have a simultaneous dual-band ADSL router available :(,
    I was thinking of buying the Linksys WRT610N router and connecting it to the old Netopia ADSL modem/router and then connecting the PC/Macs to the Linksys (either wired or wirelessly) to make use of the gigabit and N-wireless.

I was wondering, firstly, if it is possible to do? If so, what do I need to do with the Netopia router to achieve this (enable network bridging)? :confused:

If I have missed anything glaringly obvious, please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    I was wondering, firstly, if it is possible to do? If so, what do I need to do with the Netopia router to achieve this (enable network bridging)?

You can just set the WAN port on the Linksys to get its WAN IP via DHCP from the Netopia and then connect the Linksys' WAN port directly to any of the 4 network connections on the back of the Netopia. Make sure that the DHCP server on the Linksys is set to use a different LAN IP range (e.g. 192.168.2.x instead of 192.168.1.x).

You can also bridge the Netopia modem/router if you like but I've had mixed results with trying to bridge those feckin' yokes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Your exactly right, you just need to put the Netopia into bridge mode, the linksys into pppoe mode and then add in the account information. I haven't used that netopia router so perhaps there are issues with it, but in general you are better off bridging and not having a double NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Since Linksys don't have a simultaneous dual-band ADSL router available :(

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/EU/en/products/WAG320N ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Alun wrote: »

Its not simultaneous dual band, it has only a single wireless radio, so it can't use both bands simultaneously.

Advertisement