Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal? What the **** happened

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

well, as an old bastard (50) who's been listening to metal since I was a kid I reckon it's healthier and more varied than ever and don't get me started on the legends that are Meshuggah, man I'm just loving that stuff.

p.s. the new Soilwork is a grower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Anyone that knows good music knows you'll never hear or see it on tv/radio.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Couldn't agree more with much of what's been said already on here.
    There is an increasing amount of generic screamo/metal being crammed down our throats at the moment, but equally if you go looking for it there are a ridiculous amount of insanely talented bands not receiving any mainstream media attention because they won't sell as much merchandise as the latest sideswipe haired crabcore act
    File:Crabdance.gif

It's almost too easy to find interesting new bands these days with MySpace, just find a reasonable sized act you're into & they'll generally have bands they're currently into in their Top Friends list.
    Easy!

Some fantastic bands I've come across recently are..

Rosetta (Post Metal) http://www.myspace.com/rosetta
    Arc (Instrumental Djent/Prog) http://www.myspace.com/officialarc
    East of the Wall (Progressive Metal) http://www.myspace.com/eastofthewall
    Stonecutters (Sludge Metal) http://www.myspace.com/stonecuttersky

Also www.metalsucks.net is an excellent blog for keeping up to date with new acts and releases.

Happy Searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

To a certain extent I agree with the op, there is a lot of over zealous, over produced garbage out there. But jeez is there some really savage stuff that just sends shivers down me everytime I listen to it. Like other posters have pointed out, you just need to know where to look to discover interesting new stuff that appeals to you. Kerrang is certainly not a good place to start with....or ever look to...EVER :rolleyes:

As well as those mentioned by Karl Hungus,
    Agalloch, enslaved (who appear to get better with age!), necrophagist, negura bunget, tool, decapitated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think one of the main problems is a lot of old school metal fans want metal to sound like it used to. I think if this was the case we'd just have a load of bands that sound the exact same and just sound like rip offs of each other. I think its great that there is so many different types of metal that suits loads of different tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Agreed if you are on this forum (an Irish-based board about rock/metal) and not heard or heard of Primordial then you need to log off now and listen to The Nameless Dead or The Gathering Wilderness (all their stuff is great but start there). This is should be mandatory as an Irish person who listens to metal.
    In that case... oops? :D

While I can't really remember if I had heard of Primordial before now, I certainly haven't listened to them before... gonna have to do that in the morning :3
    I think its great that there is so many different types of metal that suits loads of different tastes.
    It's great until idiots start jumping around, frothing at the mouth, saying that "Subgenre X isn't metal" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Robby91 wrote: »
    In that case... oops? :D

While I can't really remember if I had heard of Primordial before now, I certainly haven't listened to them before... gonna have to do that in the morning :3

It's great until idiots start jumping around, frothing at the mouth, saying that "Subgenre X isn't metal" :P

I just hate it when people think that metal is a mark of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

on a side note, I was channel surfing yesterday, went onto kerrang, and they were playing lamb of god - redneck. I guess they do have their metal moments sometimes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    on a side note, I was channel surfing yesterday, went onto kerrang, and they were playing lamb of god - redneck. I guess they do have their metal moments sometimes!
    Sometimes. They had Type O Negative on Scuzz on Sunday, it was about 2 or 3 hours of videos with bands who had members pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Primordial suck

Everyone to there own opinion, but have to disagree here, I recommend listening to Spirt the Earth A flame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What about the resurgence of Thrash Metal in the last few years

You can't tell me bands like Gama Bomb, Cross Examination, Municipal Waste, Evile and Bonded By Blood aren't pioneering modern metal?

Certainly better then the rubbish Bullet For My Valentine are coming out with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

None of those bands are pioneering anything; they are simply drawing on a style of metal that was invented in the 80's and giving it a modern-day sound (triggered drums, cleaner production, etc). I'm not calling these bands crap by any means, but this is NOT pioneering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Cant say ive gotton into any sub genre of heavy metal other than Thrash and Death metal. There is a reason why the early albums of bands like Metallica, Slayer and Deicide are still as popular today as they were when they came out simply because they produced it in its raw kick-ass state. I think metal is completely dead and if not it will never reached the heights of the 80/90s as like everthing else its all to commerical now.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I think Kerrang and Scuzz used to be good for a very short peroid of time (Kerrang had more success imo) but for the last however many years they have nothing to do with metal, fair enough you might catch the odd song on there. You know what I miss Head Bangers Ball on MTV2 that used to be good imo.

www.myspace.com/censuraireland
    great Irish metal band there, recorded there album over in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

You know what I miss Head Bangers Ball on MTV2 that used to be good imo.

use to fancy the arse of Vanessa Warwick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Denny M wrote: »
    Sometimes. They had Type O Negative on Scuzz on Sunday, it was about 2 or 3 hours of videos with bands who had members pass on.

I was also channel surfing through the music channels for a laugh and came across Scuzz playing Opeth - The Grand Conjuration, so yeah, very rarely they'll actually play a good track.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

jemser wrote: »
    Man if they invented a time machine id travel back to 1982 and watch Maiden and Megadeth on MTV all day........:)
    Well said Uncle Ricco(Napolean Dynamite)
    Attachment not found.

Wisdom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Bollocks.

There was always ****e metal along with the good stuff.

Exhibit A: Great Kat.

Just plain awful.

Today, there's a load of quality bands, some mainstream, many underground. Death Metal has given some great stuff in the last ten years, as have black metal and thrash. Many will disagree, but I do actually like some of the metalcore and particularly deathcore that's emerged in the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Undergod wrote: »
    Bollocks.

There was always ****e metal along with the good stuff.

Exhibit A: Great Kat.

Just plain awful.

Today, there's a load of quality bands, some mainstream, many underground. Death Metal has given some great stuff in the last ten years, as have black metal and thrash. Many will disagree, but I do actually like some of the metalcore and particularly deathcore that's emerged in the past while.

Aha the great kat, funny I just discovered this music, shes very loud in interviews. That is a terrible song, the shredding is ****, there was a point around 1.58 were it started to sound good but overall its just mindless, well not even scales it just sounds like notess being played really fast with a horrible tone. In her defence she is a cheese legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Here's a very interesting article from the singer of 'Every Time I Die' about the current state of metal, or at least the "metal" acts that appear on the Warped Tour

http://www.altpress.com/contributors/entry/give_me_something_to_break._seriously/

• Advertisement

fortuneg wrote: »
    Here's a very interesting article from the singer of 'Every Time I Die' about the current state of metal, or at least the "metal" acts that appear on the Warped Tour

http://www.altpress.com/contributors/entry/give_me_something_to_break._seriously/

He makes a few interesting points actually.
    I made those mistakes and corrected them on my own because I didn’t have an iTunes “Genius” suggesting other, better bands and infinitely expanding my realm of cultural consciousness. But NOW PEOPLE DO, so what is their excuse?

truth_keithcandid03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I hate that overprocessed guitar sound they have, they're all clones of each other, like avenged sevenfold, they're ****
    on that subject, when the Rick Rubin production of "death magnetic" got slated. many people ncluding Andy Sneap himself were calling for ...er Andy Sneap to produce the next one...
    I'm not sure Sneap is the god he's made out to be. I think metal production needs to take a step back...
    It all just sounds so fake. There is very little light and shade, guitars have no character, and drums are sounding triggered....No character whatsoever..I am not referring to Opeth, who seem to hold production values highly. It's almost like metal is a product as opposed to the artform is should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

to find good metal these days you have to dig deep, there are so many new bands are ridiculous, alot of the bands people are talking about are saying new metal is **** are not metal, BFMV ect. best way i find bands is find a good inde label and most of the bands on it are killer a good example is sumerian records.

lol5605 wrote: »
    to find good metal these days you have to dig deep, there are so many new bands are ridiculous, alot of the bands people are talking about are saying new metal is **** are not metal, BFMV ect. best way i find bands is find a good inde label and most of the bands on it are killer a good example is sumerian records.

Bullet For My Valentine are definitely metal. Just cause they're bad doesn't mean they aren't metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Bullet For My Valentine are definitely metal. Just cause they're bad doesn't mean they aren't metal.
    *shudder*

I like BFMV, but describing them as metal is pushing it imo.

Emo-scream-rock is the best I could go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I like BFMV

Quoted for posterity. :pac:

*shudder*

I will also shudder, that kind of music taste is best left...

..no, just left

*shudder*

Emo-scream-rock is the best I could go for.

How aren't they? Distorted guitars, riffs, metal drumming.
    Clean vocals, melodic lines and a teenage fanbase doesn't mean they aren't metal. We can't just brand things as non-metal cause we don't like em.

We can't just brand things as non-metal cause we don't like em.

I'll be honest, if BFMV were an Instrumental band, I'd be much happier...it's that guys vocals I can't stand...even though his guitar work isn't terrible

• Advertisement

I had the misfortune of seeing them live. They got some good vocals lines and decent harmonies in a few of their songs, and absolutely fail to deliver it on stage.

Advertisement