Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGH! Help! Which provider?

• 22-07-2010 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I'm stuck trying to choose a residential broadband provider, looking for some help deciding! Here is my situation...

I'm looking for a stable fixed line connection, currently the property I am in has an Eircom line. The previous tenant left the line activated, I have the name and phone number of the Eircom account.

I don't want to go with Eircom because I disagree with their stance on the 3 Strikes policy amongst other reasons.

I cannot get 'enhanced', 'NGB', fiber or UPC broadband in my area. I contacted UPC who said broadband with them would be at least 6 months to a year away.

I need a large allowance, currently the 300gb offered on Vodafone's 'ultimate' package looks tempting but at a price.

It needs to be a stable connection for VPN and RDP work for business. I looked in to a business line but even a basic Eircom line comes with a cap.

I currently am using the 3 mobile broadband which is grand for basic surfing but useless for pretty much everything else. I'm only getting 3G speed with that too.

Finally, I can only get 3mb maximum on my line according to Eircom.

As my situation stands, I have 6 months on my lease and may well move to an area covered by fiber or UPC etc as I really do need a decent connection for my work.

As it is now though I am wondering if I should go with Vodafone, take a risk for 6 months and by the time I move house I'll only have 6 months left on the 12 month contract and can switch provider.

There is no way in hell I'll go with Eircom. End of.

Many thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

location, location, location.

All ISP's are location sensitive, if you tell us where you are someone (perhaps even someone in that area) will be able to coach you along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

location, location, location.

All ISP's are location sensitive, if you tell us where you are someone (perhaps even someone in that area) will be able to coach you along.

Sorry, I'm in Lusk. I did look in to Magnet but your website states I only qualify for midband solutions.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm in Lusk. I did look in to Magnet but your website states I only qualify for midband solutions.

We, along with others would be capable of selling you re-sold eircom services. We would however have no download limit (which you seem interested in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you leave your 12 month contract after 6, you'll have to pay a fee to terminate it early. This is normally going to be equal to the number of months remaining.

If the eircom line is in someone else's name, you need to get it changed to your name. This might come with a 6 month contract from eircom, I'm not sure if this applies to name changes, activations or just new installs. You can pay the €150 fee to get out of this if you like, and go directly to Vodafone then.

It seems you've already found the broadband you want, so you should start looking into getting it now. There's no point waiting around.

jor el wrote: »
    If you leave your 12 month contract after 6, you'll have to pay a fee to terminate it early. This is normally going to be equal to the number of months remaining.

If the eircom line is in someone else's name, you need to get it changed to your name. This might come with a 6 month contract from eircom, I'm not sure if this applies to name changes, activations or just new installs. You can pay the €150 fee to get out of this if you like, and go directly to Vodafone then.

It seems you've already found the broadband you want, so you should start looking into getting it now. There's no point waiting around.

I think the 6 months only relates to the line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

We, along with others would be capable of selling you re-sold eircom services. We would however have no download limit (which you seem interested in).

Sounds good to me. Not too fussed whether it's capped or not, it's all above board. Reason for the large cap/unlimited request is because I'd like to divide my usage up between work and personal activites. So my fiancee can watch YouTube videos, movie trailers and what have you and know I haven't sapped all our bandwidth with work related usage.

So long as the Eircom products you resell don't come with Eircom's preposterous legal stance then I'm all ears... :)

Advertisement