Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum duration for jerseys

Options
  • 07-08-2010 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

The FAI recently announced a new sponsorship with '3', replacing Eircom as the organisations main sponsor. With this deal comes a change of sponsorship plastered on the front of the replica jerseys.

What I was wondering was if there was a minimum period of time that a jersey had to be used for before they could release a new one for sale? I bought the latest jersey in March and less than half a year later it is now effectively an 'old version'.

More about this can be read in this thread posted in the Soccer forum;

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055989244

and my post which I posted in there is below. Sums up my views pretty well.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Can't agree with this more. This has really pissed me off. If a club side did this there would be uproar. I can't see the FAI paying any sort of meaningful attention to this though, they'll be too busy counting their money.

It's embarrassing wearing the ireland jersey while I'm at Uni in England. Not because of the country or anything like that - simply because of the sponsor. I'm constantly being asked "what club's jersey is that?". Yes I've bought the jersey and in many ways it makes me a hypocrite but I'm only doing it because I can't see the situation changing in my lifetime and I want to wear my country's national jersey when I go to support them.

I'd pay an extra tenner to get it without the sponsor, gladly! At the very least it'd mean avoiding situations like this.

Any opinions/advise on this would be appreciated. Will be good to hear what (if anything) could be done.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wahmeister666

The FAI recently announced a new sponsorship with '3', replacing Eircom as the organisations main sponsor. With this deal comes a change of sponsorship plastered on the front of the replica jerseys.

What I was wondering was if there was a minimum period of time that a jersey had to be used for before they could release a new one for sale? I bought the latest jersey in March and less than half a year later it is now effectively an 'old version'.

More about this can be read in this thread posted in the Soccer forum;

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055989244

and my post which I posted in there is below. Sums up my views pretty well.

Any opinions/advise on this would be appreciated. Will be good to hear what (if anything) could be done.

Thanks in advance.

I bought an Ireland jersey last week,**** that. *****. Oh well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What I was wondering was if there was a minimum period of time that a jersey had to be used for before they could release a new one for sale?

No. They could release a new one every month if they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

As long as the contract with each sponsor I'd say.

If you truly feel burnt send them a letter expressing your dissatisfaction, that's about all I can suggest, you probably aren't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It's a pain, but does it really make that much difference?

You have an Ireland jersey with 'Eircom' written on the front.

The FAI have replaced this with a jersey sponsored by '3'

Ireland never play with a sponsors logo, FIFA don't allow it.Therefore, You cannot buy an accurate replica jersey of the current Ireland jersey.

Unless you consider it important that you are keeping up to date with the FAI's corporate sponsors, not much you can do.

You would be better off buying an unofficial jersey with no logo, then you wouldn't need to worry about the FAI's corporate deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

I'm a manager in a sports shop and as of yet Umbro have no set out plan for when a new jersey will be launched...it would normally take about 6 months to get a new jersey turned around from design to the shop floor so it will probably be near the year mark from the last home jersey at least...
    As previously said any team can bring out as many jerseys as they like once the sponsorship does not overlap...this no law with this as the consumer is not obliged to buy them all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nothing can be done. You bought something, and now you can buy something else or not, the choice is yours.

A green jersey is a green jersey. Whether it says eircom or Three on the front of it is irrelevant, it's still a green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

chappy wrote: »
    I'm a manager in a sports shop and as of yet Umbro have no set out plan for when a new jersey will be launched...it would normally take about 6 months to get a new jersey turned around from design to the shop floor so it will probably be near the year mark from the last home jersey at least...
    As previously said any team can bring out as many jerseys as they like once the sponsorship does not overlap...this no law with this as the consumer is not obliged to buy them all....

I say it will be a shorter turn around since they are only changing the sponsor and not the entire jersey.

Should be a free swap imo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Would it be an issue that its sold as a replica jersey when it is in fact different to what the players wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

dan1895 wrote: »
    Would it be an issue that its sold as a replica jersey when it is in fact different to what the players wear?

No... (each player shirt is technically different as their names/number are on the back)

Legally speaking, you bought a jersey that is not defective.. so you have no recourse.. No one forced you to purchase the shirt..

If you are concerned about having the latest shirt for the maximum period, then you will need to keep an eye on the remaining length of the current sponsorship deals and the likelyhood of Umbro changing the style of the shirt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Welease wrote: »
    No... (each player shirt is technically different as their names/number are on the back)

Legally speaking, you bought a jersey that is not defective.. so you have no recourse.. No one forced you to purchase the shirt..

If you are concerned about having the latest shirt for the maximum period, then you will need to keep an eye on the remaining length of the current sponsorship deals and the likelyhood of Umbro changing the style of the shirt..

But even the basic template is different, Numbers and names are only on the shirt to identify the players in accordance with the rules of the sport.
    My point is that the Irish shirt that teams wear doesn't have a very large corporate logo on the front whereas if i were to buy a so called "replica", it would have this logo.

Just like to point out i've never bought an irish international jersey because of this reason.

Advertisement