Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

this was a very idiotic thing to do when the thread was just getting going and locum-m just closes it for no reason just because he doesn't like or agree with the thread. all boards.ie seems to do these days is close threads for no apparent reason other than their self gratafication. example follows last page. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055958214&page=11&highlight=fluoride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Really? well you posted on that thread at 11.36am, 12.54am and 1.11pm. Able to post and drive at the same time. No end to your talents;)
    me!

When I left Dublin, you were not banned. When I got to donegal, you were banned

I'm going to say this for the very last time.

your ban from radio was nothing to do with me. Nothing. I had no hand, act or part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

So why say you didn't post in that thread yesterday then???

Ok. So you had nothing to do with the ban. I have no choice but to accept that.

Surely You must see why I get vexed though when you continue to post totally untrue allegations about me in, what I can only deduce, is an attempt to discredit me. You made serious allegations that question my honesty and integrity regarding demands you claim I made and accusations. I again ask you to back up those accusations with proof or withdraw the accusations and apologise for the false accusations.

So why say you didn't post in that thread yesterday then???

Please show me where I said I didn't post in that thread yesterday

TBH,

I would, respectfully, question your decision to ban Barname. In light of a previous response to one of my postings by you (querying why we were 'biased' against RTE) I wonder if there is an ulterior motive?

Is there an attempt to stifle the debate on this topic?
    If so it is shameful!
    Regards,

LL.

My reply:

Originally Posted by tbh:
    Hi Lenny -

Barname got a warning because he made personal remarks about other posters in the thread.
    He was told not to do it again, and told, very clearly, not to argue with moderation on thread. He disregarded that warning, and so he got a short ban.

There was not, and never will be, any attempt to stifle debate. If I wanted to stifle debate, I would simply close the thread.
    Comments about the credibility or otherwise of other posters - including barname - will never be allowed.

I suggest if you have any problems with my moderation of the forum, you direct your concerns to the cmods. I have advised barname to do the same.

thanks,
    Tbh

The message you sent me yesterday

So you got me banned again? Well done! If you can't debate your point effectively you ban your opponent. Am I right?
    Very childish and petty.

You must feel much better now anyway. It does reinforce the belief that you have a vested interest in RTE as you stimy debate on the subject. Interesting....

• Advertisement

As I said, I'm happy to be judged on my four years modding the radio forum

If you want to complain about my moderation there, I suggest you start a helpdesk thread. I really am done replying now

tbh wrote: »
    Please show me where I said I didn't post in that thread yesterday
    I never reported a single post on the liveline thread. The day you got banned, I was driving to Donegal.

My mistake! I misread you when you said I never reported as I never posted. My sincerest apologies!

Now that's cleared up, maybe you'd reciprocate by posting up the "accusations" and "demands" you claim I made. One good turn deserves another?

TBH,

I would, respectfully, question your decision to ban Barname. In light of a previous response to one of my postings by you (querying why we were 'biased' against RTE) I wonder if there is an ulterior motive?

Is there an attempt to stifle the debate on this topic?
    If so it is shameful!
    Regards,

LL.

My reply:

Originally Posted by tbh:
    Hi Lenny -

Barname got a warning because he made personal remarks about other posters in the thread.
    He was told not to do it again, and told, very clearly, not to argue with moderation on thread. He disregarded that warning, and so he got a short ban.

There was not, and never will be, any attempt to stifle debate. If I wanted to stifle debate, I would simply close the thread.
    Comments about the credibility or otherwise of other posters - including barname - will never be allowed.

I suggest if you have any problems with my moderation of the forum, you direct your concerns to the cmods. I have advised barname to do the same.

thanks,
    Tbh

The message you sent me yesterday

So you got me banned again? Well done! If you can't debate your point effectively you ban your opponent. Am I right?
    Very childish and petty.

You must feel much better now anyway. It does reinforce the belief that you have a vested interest in RTE as you stimy debate on the subject. Interesting....
    Demands?? Accusations??? Very selective choice of the PMs. Oh and for the record regarding me not being happy about your moderation. You started this particular tit for tat childish spat. Not I!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Demands?? Accusations??? Very selective choice of the PMs. Oh and for the record regarding me not being happy about your moderation. You started this particular tit for tat childish spat. Not I!

Sorry to just jump in like this, but you very clearly started this whole "childish spat" yourself.

Post 18 released the worms from their can prison. I just wanted to point that out :)

Sorry to just jump in like this, but you very clearly started this whole "childish spat" yourself.

Post 18 released the worms from their can prison. I just wanted to point that out :)
    Again, a matter of interpretation. I was talking specifically about the issues between TBH and myself...

• Advertisement

come on mods have you no answer to the thread in my last post being closed for no reason ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

zenno wrote: »
    come on mods have you no answer to the thread in my last post being closed for no reason ? :confused:
    Did you ask the mod that closed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

I posted the original message as i was comparing Boards.ie with other similar web sites that i am a member of. One is irish with common users in boards.ie and others are uk based. The point i was making (in my very humble opinion) Boards.ie is too heavily "moderated" in comparison to similar web sites who have a similar function with similar members. Thats all!

To all those mods that suggest i give examples, my time is too precious to trawl through all these pages. My comment was only a passing comment which carried my cavaet regarding not offending somebody. So if you are all taking exception to this thread, then i doubt your creditials needed for a moderator. As the name suggests somebody who is calm and calculated in the thought process and commiunication. Lots of you kinda let yourself down.

Muffler I shall take huge exception to your posting at #22. Firstly (kinda related to explaination of the word moderator) please don't refer to me in the third party. My parents explained to me that was quite rude when i was young, and i still think it is the case. So do your job and moderate. Don't be rude or disrespectful to the customers please. And what you said is hugely inaccurate. Read what i wrote! I started it in construction and planning first and then Quazzie suggested i go here. Poor workmanship on your part.

You seem to be taking this thread quite personal. I wonder is that anything to do with the fact that I started this off in Construction and Planning where you indeed are a moderator, and you have been closing threads. But i have notice this has eased off since i started this thread. Only an observation.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Did you ask the mod that closed it?

I did but he didn't want to know and told me not to pm him again. I think what he said as he closed the thread explains itself very well. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055958214&page=11&highlight=fluoride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I did but he didn't want to know and told me not to pm him again. I think what he said as he closed the thread explains itself very well. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055958214&page=11&highlight=fluoride
    Then the next step is to PM one of the CMods, in this case either DrIndy or tbh. Then if you're still not happy you can start a thread in the Help Desk to talk to the Admins. It's all in the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Then the next step is to PM one of the CMods, in this case either DrIndy or tbh. Then if you're still not happy you can start a thread in the Help Desk to talk to the Admins. It's all in the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

I will. as far as i have heard from other posters on boards.ie, everytime someone starts a thread on anything got to do with fluoride/fluoridation issues the thread is always closed and i have looked this up and it is a fact.

how are people supposed to comment and discuss an issue if the thread on this particular issue is closed repeatedly. we have all tried to start a new thread about this and it is always closed down. I wonder why.

I will. as far as i have heard from other posters on boards.ie, everytime someone starts a thread on anything got to do with fluoride/fluoridation issues the thread is always closed and i have looked this up and it is a fact.

how are people supposed to comment and discuss an issue if the thread on this particular issue is closed repeatedly. we have all tried to start a new thread about this and it is always closed down. I wonder why.

The simple truth is, zenno that those threads tend to run themselves out very quickly. They are never about people - on either side- wishing to explore the issues, and always end up with one side trying to shout down the other side. Pretty much everyone who participates in those threads already has their mind made up about the issue, and nothing ever gets resolved. The best way forward for the sci forums is to say that we agree to disagree and we don allow any further discussion. Now, to make it clear, I've not read any of your posts so I'm making no judgement on what you've posted or your motives, I'm just giving you the back story. There are plenty of other places on the net that you can discuss these issues, but the sci forums on boards are not one of those places. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

. we have all tried to start a new thread about this and it is always closed down. I wonder why.

It happened to this thread today...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000266

In my very very humble opinion I'd say it's because the topic is too hot to handle.

The simple truth is, zenno that those threads tend to run themselves out very quickly. They are never about people - on either side- wishing to explore the issues, and always end up with one side trying to shout down the other side. Pretty much everyone who participates in those threads already has their mind made up about the issue, and nothing ever gets resolved. The best way forward for the sci forums is to say that we agree to disagree and we don allow any further discussion. Now, to make it clear, I've not read any of your posts so I'm making no judgement on what you've posted or your motives, I'm just giving you the back story. There are plenty of other places on the net that you can discuss these issues, but the sci forums on boards is not one of those places. Sorry!

QUOTE: There are plenty of other places on the net that you can discuss these issues...

I obviously know that but that does still not answer my question as to why locum-m mod closed the thread just because he > quote: Oh for ****'s sake.
    Enough if this ****e.
    Thread closed.

I thought mods had a better understanding and better judgement on threads. instead of just cursing in asterix's. and giving absolutely no reason the thread was closed.

seensensee wrote: »
    It happened to this thread today...http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000266

In my very very humble opinion I'd say it's because the topic is too hot to handle.

To quote opinion guy:

This topic has been done in Health sciences and dental forum also and it always goes the same way.

On one side the conspiracy nuts claiming all kinds of wild outlandish things. On the other those with a science/health background who think because they have a degree in X and have read report Y by the dental authorities that they are unquestionable experts on the subject. They aren't. There's usually a few folks in the middle actually discussing relevant issues. Sooner rather than later the mods close down the thread because its a shouting match and annoying to moderate.

That's exactly right.

• Advertisement

QUOTE: There are plenty of other places on the net that you can discuss these issues...

I obviously know that but that does still not answer my question as to why locum-m mod closed the thread just because he > quote: Oh for ****'s sake.
    Enough if this ****e.
    Thread closed.

I thought mods had a better understanding and better judgement on threads. instead of just cursing in asterix's. and giving absolutely no reason the thread was closed.

Yeah - fair enough, I take your point, and it's a fair point. However, if I walked up to you and flicked your ear and you blew up, that'd be an over-reaction. If I did it every day, and 99 times you asked me politely to stop, and on day 100 you blew up at me, someone observing just day 100 might not have as much understanding as someone who'd seen the whole 100 days. I'm not being smart or anything, but the mods are only human

10/4.

at least you give an honest answer. which is better than closing down a thread without a reason. peace.

seensensee wrote: »
    It happened to this thread today...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000266

probably so. A choice would be nice though instead of having to injest it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is there factual evidence of all of the above, for example, survey results etc or is merely opinion? If so where can the evidence be seen. I would be interested.
    I saw the statistic recently that there were more posts on boards.ie in July of this year than in the first four and a half years of the site's existence. I don't have metrics to hand, but growth is constant and exponential.
    Please don't misconstrue what I'm debating here as sh1t stirring or trolling etc. I very much enjoy posting on these type of fora but find invariably the moderation is OTT to be honest.
    The problem I have is your use of the word "invariably", because it's - quite simply - factually inaccurate. You're stating that every moderating decision is excessive, and by no reasonable measure can that be considered true.

Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's what you said.
    And I feel that it does kill off the debate. Taking the radio forum, for example, there is just one moderator on that and it does have quite a high turnover of postings. So one moderator gets to decide whether everyone is right or wrong in a split second decision and if you disagree then tough! You get banned. Hardly democratic?
    First, this site isn't a democracy. That's not a glib retort; it's a statement of fact.

That said, it's also not (quite) an autocratic dictatorship. There is due process. Complaining about a specific decision on this forum isn't included in that process. If you followed the process, and you're still unhappy, we can talk about it, but it doesn't seem to me that you did.
    kboc wrote: »
    I posted the original message as i was comparing Boards.ie with other similar web sites that i am a member of. One is irish with common users in boards.ie and others are uk based. The point i was making (in my very humble opinion) Boards.ie is too heavily "moderated" in comparison to similar web sites who have a similar function with similar members. Thats all!
    I accept that you feel that way, and I respectfully disagree. I've seen other sites that are less stringently moderated, and I invariably stop using them - they descend into acrimonious disputes and mutual name-calling.

It may be that some people prefer that sort of atmosphere, but my point all along is that the continued growth of this site suggests that most people are happy with the way we do things here.
    To all those mods that suggest i give examples, my time is too precious to trawl through all these pages. My comment was only a passing comment which carried my cavaet regarding not offending somebody.
    If it's just a passing comment: thanks, noted.
    So if you are all taking exception to this thread, then i doubt your creditials needed for a moderator. As the name suggests somebody who is calm and calculated in the thought process and commiunication. Lots of you kinda let yourself down.
    ...and now the passing comment turns into a sideswipe at people who disagree with you.
    You seem to be taking this thread quite personal. I wonder is that anything to do with the fact that I started this off in Construction and Planning where you indeed are a moderator, and you have been closing threads. But i have notice this has eased off since i started this thread. Only an observation.
    It's a pretty passive-aggressive observation, to be fair.

If you feel you've been dealt with unfairly on the C&P forum, please follow the dispute resolution procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

my time is too precious to trawl through all these pages.
    And so is mine. But I will take a few minutes to address a few of your points.

Muffler I shall take huge exception to your posting at #22. Firstly (kinda related to explaination of the word moderator) please don't refer to me in the third party. My parents explained to me that was quite rude when i was young, and i still think it is the case.
    Well seeing as I was replying to a query from another user I could not but refer to you in the third person. I cant see why you take exception to that seeing as you had already confirmed that you were not interested in posting here again.

So do your job and moderate.
    On this forum I have the same privileges as you only.

Don't be rude or disrespectful to the customers please.
    Members, users but never customers. If you consider I was rude for asking you to provide examples or for stating that you posted a thread in the wrong forum then I have nothing to apologise for.

And what you said is hugely inaccurate.
    I'm lost. Can you tell me what exactly was inaccurate?

And what you said is hugely inaccurate. Read what i wrote! I started it in construction and planning first and then Quazzie suggested i go here. Poor workmanship on your part.

Read what i wrote! I started it in construction and planning first and then Quazzie suggested i go here. Poor workmanship on your part.
    Seeing as you posted in a Construction forum initially I take it that's a pun. If it's anything else I'm afraid you will have to explain that to me.

You seem to be taking this thread quite personal.
    Since you have made some serious allegations about me I suppose I have to take it personal. That was your intention, right?

I wonder is that anything to do with the fact that I started this off in Construction and Planning where you indeed are a moderator, and you have been closing threads. But i have notice this has eased off since i started this thread. Only an observation.
    I hadn't noticed that myself but I'm glad you pointed it out. I doubt if it's accurate though.

On a general note over half of your last post was taken up with the above points which clearly demonstrates to me now that the point of this thread was to highlight what you consider to be "over moderation" by me and not mods in general.

As I said before if you can pull up a couple of examples I am more than happy to explain any and all my actions here in public. As pointed out if you wish to make a complaint about my moderation then please PM one of the Cmods and again I am only too willing to answer any allegations made.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The simple truth is, zenno that those threads tend to run themselves out very quickly. They are never about people - on either side- wishing to explore the issues, and always end up with one side trying to shout down the other side. Pretty much everyone who participates in those threads already has their mind made up about the issue, and nothing ever gets resolved. The best way forward for the sci forums is to say that we agree to disagree and we don allow any further discussion. Now, to make it clear, I've not read any of your posts so I'm making no judgement on what you've posted or your motives, I'm just giving you the back story. There are plenty of other places on the net that you can discuss these issues, but the sci forums on boards are not one of those places. Sorry!
    For a Prime example of one such thread, where everyone enters with their mind made up and some people never even leave, check this one out:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316566

Having it's 5th Anniversary in October and will have its 23,000th post incredibly shortly after this post. Tie yourself up to the door before you go in though: just to be on the safe side.

And THAT is why you do what TBH said ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If I were to suggest that the OP is a self-centered pedant with too much time on his hands, would that get me in trouble? I suppose it would, so I won't say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ReginaII

The point i was making (in my very humble opinion) Boards.ie is too heavily "moderated" in comparison to similar web sites who have a similar function with similar members...

...To all those mods that suggest i give examples, my time is too precious to trawl through all these pages...

...You seem to be taking this thread quite personal. I wonder is that anything to do with the fact that I started this off in Construction and Planning where you indeed are a moderator, and you have been closing threads. But i have notice this has eased off since i started this thread. Only an observation.

I've noticed before that any criticism of boards seems to be taken quite personally, and the apparent aim of the mods etc who post in here, and in the helpdesk, seems to be to prevent criticism and "manage" any member who makes a criticism, whether constructive or otherwise.

Some moderators now openly admit to being drunk when on duty here, and the attitude of boards.ie to moderators who are drunk appears to be that it is fine to be drunk when moderating on their site.

Is it a sign of good management, or poor management, which tolerates workers who are habitually drunk on duty?

• Advertisement

ReginaII wrote: »
    I've noticed before that any criticism of boards seems to be taken quite personally, and the apparent aim of the mods etc who post in here, and in the helpdesk, seems to be to prevent criticism and "manage" any member who makes a criticism, whether constructive or otherwise.

Some moderators now openly admit to being drunk when on duty *1 here, and the attitude of boards.ie to moderators who are drunk appears to be that it is fine to be drunk when moderating on their site.

Is it a sign of good management, or poor management, which tolerates workers *2 who are habitually drunk on duty?

lol

*1: We aint the police. We're janitors.

*2: And we are definitely not workers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement