Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short, smooth coated Yorkshire Puppy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask how old the pup was in those pics? As it deffo does not look 8 weeks if you ask me, more like 4-5 weeks...

No, it doesnt look like a yorkie to me.

Where did you find the breeder and did you go to the breeders house and see the parents and see the other pups in the litter?
    I really hope you have been to a puppy farmer and been done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'd bet my right arm she's a mix, cute as a button though.:)
    My only concern would be that she looks quiet young in those photos, are they recent. Hopefully she is 8 weeks old, enjoy her she's really sweet.

Edit: Andreac, you got there before me 80)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HenriettaR

She's about 6/7 weeks in the photos. Found the breeder on the internet, I saw the parents and the other puppies, there was only a litter of 3. She's sweet and I don't mind too much but I'm just a bit worried that she'll get bigger than I wanted or that she's mixed with a Jack Russell and will be very energetic.

Did you get papers for the pup? Were the parents registered with IKC?

Where on the internet did you find the breeder? There are sites full of dodgy, puppy farmer breeders like donedeal etc so i really hope you didnt get conned.

Were the pups advertised as pedigree registered dogs? What did the "parents" look like?

Oh no.... You're saying everything I did... Donedeal, no papers... Parents looked like Yorkies alright but since I have no papers. I'd say the mother is one and maybe a Jack Russell came to call... Great.

• Advertisement

This is why its vital you research the breeder before you buy any pedigree dog and check them out and suss them out too.

Its best to get a breeder recommended to you by someone reputable and not a dodgy one off the internet.

Did the breeder say the pup is IKC reg or coming with papers? What was the place like and was there any other breeds of dogs there too?

If you have a problem i would def go back to them and say you arent happy at all.

Have you any more pics of the pup?

No, they just said Yorkshire pups on the ad. I went up to see them and he said I could collect her a week later. He had her vaccinated and wormed and all so I thought it seemed fairly safe. There were two other dogs there too, apart from the "parents", a German Shepherd (!) and another terrier looking dog. It was a farm, and the litter was in a kennel in a shed.
    I'm obviously going to keep her now, she's lovely, but it's just a bit disappointing.
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/french-teapot/?action=view&current=IMGP0709.jpg&newest=1
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/french-teapot/?action=view&current=IMGP0704.jpg&newest=1

Thats def not a yorkshire terrier, im sorry. I wouldnt be too happy with the breeder if you ask me. I would deffo be going back to them and explain you were under impression you bought a yorkie and this is obv not one...
    Did the breeder give you papers for the pup? Was it advertised as IKC reg?

The whole thing sounds dodgy and esp the puppies being out in the shed... Its breeders like this that give all the other ones a bad name.

Sorry just realised you said they didnt have papers in last post. I really hope you didnt hand over much money for this pup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She'll need more than one worm dose and more than one vaccination, so a vet visit is definitely in order. Did the breeder give you a vaccination card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

She has yorkie in her but is definately not full yorkie. It is an unfortunate lesson learnt about buying dogs from unreputable breeders, they will say almost anything to sell their pups. It would depend on what exactly the ad said, if it didn't claim the pups were purebred or offer IKC papers etc. I'm not sure what recourse you would have. You could still approach the 'breeder' (I use the term lightly) and tell them you are not happy with being mislead.

• Advertisement

Another thing i noticed is that you said shes about 8 weeks now and you got her last week which would mean she was 7 weeks or less which isnt the right time to be taken from its mother/litter mates.
    A pup should be at least 8-10 weeks before leaving the mother and siblings so again this is a bad sign and not what a responsible breeder would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

I would guess the german shepherd got to her she is definately a cross, cute as hell though :) she should be wormed every two weeks until 3 months old, then monthly until 6 months, then every 3 months for life. :) fleas can be treated every 3 months. Spay her at six or seven months. Oh and the puppy is too young to be vaccinated, the maternal antibodies the puppies get from the milk last up until 3 months old so any vaccination given before then is generally destroyed and no lasting immunity gained so she will need to have her vaccinations at 12 weeks and then again 2 weeks later. Oh and start training her now, the sooner the better before she develops any bad habits and while she is in the puppy eager to please phase. :) I would try contacting the irish kennel club and find out if there are any steps you can take regarding the dog not being a pure breed. The whole industry is just not very regulated in ireland though.

If the dog wasnt advertised as IKC reg then theres nothing the IKC can do so no point in contacting them.

Its a case of buyer beware and up to the new owner to research breederds before making a purchase and handing over money to these dodgy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

She is very cute whatever breed she is :) Hopefully the dad is the other terrier and not the german shepherd!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Last year my yorkie had a litter of five pups. I'm going to show some pictures below because I think the pictures of your little cutie do look like a yorkie but maybe this will help you because they change so much.

Here are all five pups
    DSCF1078.JPG

Here's one of them- Millie at maybe 6weeks(?)
    DSCF1087.JPG

Here's Millie at 7 months
    Attachment not found.

Millie at 10 months
    DSCF2194.JPG

All the puppies daddy
    24062009(003).jpg

And here's the puppies wonderful mammy(on the right)
    DSCF0533.jpg

So I guess what I'm trying to show here is that all the dogs and puppies are yorkies but all look very different and the puppies look really different as the months go by. I think you'll just have to wait and see how your little girl turns out and really all that matters is that you have her now and you love her. All the previous posts about buyer beware are so correct and yes if she is a cross it's totally awful that ppl are getting away with taking lots of money from ppl and pulling a fast one on them. Try and forget your disappointment and enjoy her :)

Ah well, I guess I've learnt my lesson and I'll be more careful in future. My boyfriend got her for me, 300 euro which is a bit steep... It's disappointing, I had wanted a Yorkie in particular but she's still a lovely dog and a sweetie so she's worth it in that respect.

I don't think there's any point trying to take things further with the breeder, there was no receipt, no papers mentioned...

As for the vaccinations, I've brought her to the vet and all that is organised, so there's no trouble there.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Stargirl: Even your pups at their youngest look a lot scruffier than my dog. Her coat is just way too smooth and short for a Yorkie pup. Thanks for the photos though, interesting to see the real thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it wasn't for her size, I would have said the colouring makes her look like a rottie.

As stargirl helpfully shows though, the strong black/tan colours seem to fade away as the dog grows older.

She's very cute, very hard to tell what the other breed might be at this stage. Give it a few weeks and the €300 will be inconsequential, you'll be besotted!

My friends keep telling me she's going to be a doberman! Needless to say, I don't appreciate it, I wanted a Yorkie for the small size and not too demanding exercise needs.

Whatever she becomes though, I'll handle it. She's so sweet, a real little character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

HenriettaR wrote: »
    My friends keep telling me she's going to be a doberman! Needless to say, I don't appreciate it, I wanted a Yorkie for the small size and not too demanding exercise needs.

Whatever she becomes though, I'll handle it. She's so sweet, a real little character.

Yorkies need a fair bit of exercise, I have two are they would be wired to the moon without a walk! So much fun though wouldnt swap them!

She does look like a mini mini Rottie! Shes gorgeous though.

This is the only pic I have of Tilly on my work PC, she is about 10 weeks here.

Tilly.jpg

Aw, she's so cute. Again though, while the colouring's the same, her hair is already much longer than my dog's. Hopefully I'll gain that way in easy grooming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hey there,

There is an advert on donedeal at the mo for Yorkshire Terrier pups and they look exactly like your pup! (who is very cute by the way) Im not sure if I can post the link there or not so maybe ill just post the pix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

HenriettaR wrote: »
    Aw, she's so cute. Again though, while the colouring's the same, her hair is already much longer than my dog's. Hopefully I'll gain that way in easy grooming!

I dont think you will know until she grows a bit, they change so much. I will have a look on the laptop at home tonight and post some more pictures for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lmcokane

Ive the same problem got a pup yesterday.Wanted a yorkie,didnt care if it was mixed so long as it looked like a yorkie. Clearly my pup is a ****zu/yorkie mix and the breeder who was recommened by a animal sanctuary tried to tell me the pup was pure yorkie. Not likely.

As i said I didnt care it was a mixed breed but I dont like being lied to.:mad:

lmcokane wrote: »
    Ive the same problem got a pup yesterday.Wanted a yorkie,didnt care if it was mixed so long as it looked like a yorkie. Clearly my pup is a ****zu/yorkie mix and the breeder who was recommened by a animal sanctuary tried to tell me the pup was pure yorkie. Not likely.

As i said I didnt care it was a mixed breed but I dont like being lied to.:mad:

I dont get it, you say you didnt care if it was mixed, but yet are annoyed because it looks like a mix?? Doesnt make sense:confused:

If it was mixed it wouldnt look like a yorkie so you are totally contradicting yourself....
    Did you get papers with the pup or ask to see the parents when you went to see the pups? Did you not realise when you went to see the pup that its not a full yorkie?

Think its a case of buyer beware if you ask me... People really need to do more research when buyer a puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Which sanctuary recommended the breeder? Actually I can probably guess, does it start with a C and end with an N?

Toulouse wrote: »
    Which sanctuary recommended the breeder? Actually I can probably guess, does it start with a C and end with an N?

Yeah u got it in one.

I didnt mind if it wasnt pure bred.
    I just wanted a small dog with the appearance of a yorkie.

The woman said on the phone it was pure bred and I was delighted. Then went to see it - clearly not, she had a excuse about the papers about, why they werent IKC registered etc.

I love my pup. But i dont know why this woman was claiming the pup was purebred when anyone could see it wasnt.

Yeah u got it in one.

I didnt mind if it wasnt pure bred.
    I just wanted a small dog with the appearance of a yorkie.

The woman said on the phone it was pure bred and I was delighted. Then went to see it - clearly not, she had a excuse about the papers about, why they werent IKC registered etc.

I love my pup. But i dont know why this woman was claiming the pup was purebred when anyone could see it wasnt.

But if you wanted something that looked like a yorkie and it didnt, why did you take it?:confused:
    And esp when she was telling you about the papers, surely you could have seen that she was filling you full of lies and even more so when the pup didnt look like a yorkie. Was the pup advertised as IKC reg Yorkshire terrier? If so i would be demanding my money back and taking it further.

I dont understand why you took the dog if it didnt look the way you wanted it to look. Surely you would have noticed this when picking out the pup.
    Did you see the parents?

andreac wrote: »
    But if you wanted something that looked like a yorkie and it didnt, why did you take it?:confused:
    And esp when she was telling you about the papers, surely you could have seen that she was filling you full of lies and even more so when the pup didnt look like a yorkie. Was the pup advertised as IKC reg Yorkshire terrier? If so i would be demanding my money back and taking it further.

I dont understand why you took the dog if it didnt look the way you wanted it to look. Surely you would have noticed this when picking out the pup.
    Did you see the parents?

Yes she had 2 adults yorkies. But i also saw a ****zu and a pom in the house.

I took the puppy because she was gorgeous she is small and black and tan just like a yorkie but she definatley has some ****zu in her.

I will upload a pic later and u can see it yourself.

I was told the pup was IKC reg. The woman wanted €335 for the pup.

I told her unless she got the papers I would give her €80 and she let me take the pup.

Dodgy dealer. I have put in a complaint to the IKC re: the breeder and the place that recommended her.

Yes she had 2 adults yorkies. But i also saw a ****zu and a pom in the house.

I took the puppy because she was gorgeous she is small and black and tan just like a yorkie but she definatley has some ****zu in her.

I will upload a pic later and u can see it yourself.

I was told the pup was IKC reg. The woman wanted €335 for the pup.

I told her unless she got the papers I would give her €80 and she let me take the pup.

Dodgy dealer. I have put in a complaint to the IKC re: the breeder and the place that recommended her.

Im sorry, but you have absol no come back here whatsoever...

You saw the pup and knew it wasnt full bred but yet still took it :confused:

You told her you would only give 80euro as you didnt get the papers and she agreed so again, you have no comeback as you agreed to this.

Now you are trying to make a complaint when you agreed to taking a pup you knew wasnt full bred and accepted to buy without papers?:rolleyes:

Dodgy dealer, but yet you still handed over money to her knowing full well it was dodgy and which in turn funds her business of dodgy dealings, when will people learn?:confused:

• Advertisement

Bearpup, those puppies do look a lot like mine! Hmm... not sure what to think now.
    Maybe I should just wait and see. In a couple of weeks her hair may grow longer.

Advertisement