Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting dole cheats, Yay or Nah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Reporting dishonest people to the goverment?

. . . wait a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Hell yes, report the scum!

I work my ass off and pay my taxes. I've no problem with my taxes helping people who need help, but it gets on my man-boobs having to buy ciggies and cans of dutch gold for your man down at the bookies.

I quit smoking and maybe have a drink once a month, because it's just too expensive. Yet, somehow, your man on the dole has oodles of cash to buy cartons of ciggies and cases of budweiser, and has enough left over to piss away on the ponies or the dogs. Report that guy, because he obviously has no intention of bothering earning his keep. The welfare state has bred WAY too many leeches. And we stand for it. Call me a liar. Go on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

OP obviously jealous because people on the dole make more money than him working in KFC.

Sykk wrote: »
    OP obviously jealous because people on the dole make more money than him working in KFC.

cue vapid knee-jerk reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

So your way of insulting someone is implying that they work in KFC?

So your way of insulting someone is implying that they work in KFC?

Correction. His way of insulting someone is implying they have a job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Unsinnig wrote: »
    Hell yes, report the scum!

I work my ass off and pay my taxes. I've no problem with my taxes helping people who need help, but it gets on my man-boobs having to buy ciggies and cans of dutch gold for your man down at the bookies.

I quit smoking and maybe have a drink once a month, because it's just too expensive. Yet, somehow, your man on the dole has oodles of cash to buy cartons of ciggies and cases of budweiser, and has enough left over to piss away on the ponies or the dogs. Report that guy, because he obviously has no intention of bothering earning his keep. The welfare state has bred WAY too many leeches. And we stand for it. Call me a liar. Go on :D

+1

Anyone earning should be willing to report fraudsters, not to make the taxes we are currently paying go down but to keep them at the level they are currently at.

I'd loved to know the figure for fraudulent claims currently being investigated and as a result of the investigations how many a month are stopped.

If somebody is working part time and collects the dole for the days not worked then they have nothing to worry about if they are reported as they are doing nothing wrong, it's the one's that work a few days a week and take cash in hand that I've got a problem with.

I also have a problem with the people who pay. These people should also be fined as they are not paying the employers contribution to PRSI etc.

With the Debt the country is in at the moment every cent saved is of benefit to the Nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

If we had a government that didn't waste money I'd think about reporting them, but then you see what those clowns in the Dail do with our money and I say fair play to the ones getting away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I wouldn't report it. I pay my taxes like everybody else but don't see the point in reporting "dole cheats" to the biggest gang of thieves in "Western Europe" i.e the Irish Government.

Besides its not in my nature to become an unpaid government "snitch."

Times are tough, If I ring up to stop say , a single mothers benefits, because she's working a few "cash in hand" days at her local pub, I'd be a miserable soul now wouldn't ?

Besides, even if people like this mothers dole was stopped would we really be any better off as a nation? The money would just go into something like painting the next "ivor Calley's " house. Or perhaps it may go towards the €100,000 Noel Dempsey private flight bill. Or better yet, our hundreds of politicians could give themselves a pay rise to increase their already ridiculous wages.

The Government asking people to report dole cheats in the current climate is on par with a Drug lord asking junkies to snitch on low level dealers skimming a bit off the top. Its totally hypocritical.

Anybody who has the motivation to report their neighbours and fellow citizens for schemeing a bit of extra cash, but has no motivation to protest against the corruption that is rife throughout all our instituitions, needs to re-evaluate their life.

Hardly anybody took to the streets in opposition to our Government, but in typical Irish fashion people feel a lot more comfortable "snitching anonymously" against the small men.

We need to change things from the top. The government should lead by example. Until this happens, I don't give a sh1t about "dole cheats". We have far bigger fish to fry, but everybody seems to be avoiding it.

• Advertisement

If we had a government that didn't waste money I'd think about reporting them, but then you see what those clowns in the Dail do with our money and I say fair play to the ones getting away with it

You should stand for election the next time around.

If all the people who criticize the Government all the time were actually politically active it would be very interesting to see were we now stand.

We can only deal with the people elected and for the past 10 years the people of Ireland have voted for Fianna Fail / PD's & now Fianna Fail / Greens. If people want change they have to make it happen.

No matter who is in Government makes no difference, fraud is still fraud, I'm losing money because of these people & everyone else who goes out and works loses money to these people.

Correction. His way of insulting someone is implying they have a job :rolleyes:

I have a job.. An extremely well paying job actually, and I've given much much more to the government than I've taken.

You don't know peoples financial state and it's none of your business what they claim, unless you're a welfare worker, GTFO.

I have a job.. An extremely well paying job actually, and I've given much much more to the government than I've taken.

You don't know peoples financial state and it's none of your business what they claim, unless you're a welfare worker, GTFO.

It's refered to as "having a laugh". I was making light of your beligerent statement. You're too serious. Count to 10, and take a few deep breaths.

We're all friends here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I recently started a thread in PI about reporting a dole cheat. Surprisingly a lot of the responses were very negative. I’m just wondering what the general consensus is. Would you report someone claiming the dole, who also had a job?

PI & State benefits So this is your third thread you started to ask this same question and I will tell you the same thing - if you have grounds to justify it then yes.

But now I think your just thanks whoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I could never do it without knowing the persons' situation,they could have debts,children,a mortgage that they need the money for,it's none of my business either what other people do with their lives.

celticbest wrote: »
    If all the people who criticize the Government all the time were actually politically active it would be very interesting to see were we now stand.

Exactly, but most Irish people are too petty. They are more concerned with Joe Bloggs getting an extra 50 quid a week, than they are with Cowen and co earning hundreds of thousands a year.
    We can only deal with the people elected and for the past 10 years the people of Ireland have voted for Fianna Fail / PD's & now Fianna Fail / Greens. If people want change they have to make it happen.

Theses Governments never had an outright majority, therefore the majority of Irish people didn't vote for these Governments. On top of that, the current leader is unelected but refused to give the people a voice. The whole system needs an overhaul.
    No matter who is in Government makes no difference, fraud is still fraud, I'm losing money because of these people & everyone else who goes out and works loses money to these people.

Of course it matters, if you report fraud to a corrupt Government you won't see the fruits of your labour. Nobody has any confidence in this Government. I get taxed an enormous amount each month, however, my anger is aimed at the people in charge, not the little men. I pay enough taxes to ensure that a proper welfare system is in place. The very fact the Government want to turn its citizens into snitches, suggests that my tax money is again being squandered. Yet again, the government have misued funds and are left short when it comes to implementing a workable system.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Exactly, but most Irish people are too petty. They are more concerned with Joe Bloggs getting an extra 50 quid a week, than they are with Cowen and co earning hundreds of thousands a year.

Petty how?? If you are not entitled to something then you should not get it.
    Theses Governments never had an outright majority, therefore the majority of Irish people didn't vote for these Governments. On top of that, the current leader is unelected but refused to give the people a voice. The whole system needs an overhaul.

Again if people are so bothered by our electoral system then they should do something about it.

Many other countries have multi-party Governments, look at the UK. It's looking likely that Australia will have one soon as well.
    Of course it matters, if you report fraud to a corrupt Government you won't see the fruits of your labour. Nobody has any confidence in this Government. I get taxed an enormous amount each month, however, my anger is aimed at the people in charge, not the little men. I pay enough taxes to ensure that a proper welfare system is in place. The very fact the Government want to turn its citizens into snitches, suggests that my tax money is again being squandered. Yet again, the government have misued funds and are left short when it comes to implementing a workable system.

If people from the top to the bottom do not speak up and uncover fraudulent claims be it Dole, expenses by TD / Senators then how will the Fraud be uncovered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I pay my taxes, everyone on the dole is a Johnny Blue smoking Dutch Gold swilling scumbag, why should I subsidize you, civic duty, useless government, welfare officers don't know their arses from their elbows.

Blah. Blah.

You can't assume to know any one individual's financial status or circumstances. And reporting someone for fraud just because you dislike them OP would be, for me, a better definition of a scumbag than someone who makes an extra few quid a week on the sly. Brutal poll.

It's refered to as "having a laugh". I was making light of your beligerent statement. You're too serious. Count to 10, and take a few deep breaths.

We're all friends here :D

I was being so serious to the point of a joke, punk'd :pac:

I was being so serious to the point of a joke, punk'd :pac:

SOLD!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

What is all of this "none of my business crap"? Of course it is your business as it is your money that they are stealing.

If a pickpocket catches you for €50 and someone catches them would you just shrug your shoulders and say -"ah sure its none of my business, keep the money"?

Dole cheats are thieves. End of story. If we are to tackle this kind of behaviour in our country there is no point ignoring it because you feel the government are worse. That is beyond stupid. Fraud, be it at Government level, or dole cheats, is fraud and the message should be that it is unacceptable at ANY LEVEL.

Anybody who has the motivation to report their neighbours and fellow citizens for schemeing a bit of extra cash, but has no motivation to protest against the corruption that is rife throughout all our instituitions, needs to re-evaluate their life.
    This is where the whole argument fails. You're implying that you can oppose high-level corruption or low-level corruption, but not both. That's a profoundly illogical stance. It must be great to see things so black-and-white, you can pretty much do whatever you like to whoever you like and pretend it's morally justified because there'll always be a bigger asshole doing worse things. But that's not the way I see society; the fact that we are being robbed by one group of people should not have the effect of justifying our being robbed by another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Report them. If they entitled to it, fair enough, they need the money... if they're not then f*ck them... report it!

Who says they get to get a free ride?

This is where the whole argument fails. You're implying that you can oppose high-level corruption or low-level corruption, but not both. That's a profoundly illogical stance. .

That may be an illiogical stance, but it wasn't my stance. Its something that you have made up. My point was that Irish people in general are not known for protesting against the Government. We're hardly France now are we. The Greeks even highlighted this with their banners " we're not Irish, we're Greeks, we'll fight back." It annoys me that so many people are not willing to fight the real fight. They are cowards and are only prepared to take action when a) its not against a powerful person and B) when they can be anonymous.
    It must be great to see things so black-and-white, you can pretty much do whatever you like to whoever you like and pretend it's morally justified because there'll always be a bigger asshole doing worse things. But that's not the way I see society; the fact that we are being robbed by one group of people should not have the effect of justifying our being robbed by another.

Again thats not my point. My point is why should we report one thief to an even bigger thief?? Hey lets report joe Bloggs to somebody like Ivor Callely. How stupid is that.

People like you can pretend yout doing "civic duty" by being a good little citizen and snitching on your neigbours (anonymously). Wow how brave and righteous of you. If you really cared about this country you'd be out protesting outside the dail. I was at one such protest and guess what.... 20 people showed up.

Whats the point in reporting someone for stealing water if the water will just be put back into a bucket with a hole in it? There's no point.

The bucket needs to be fixed first. This country is bad enough without the people turning into cowardly snitches. I'm saying that as a tax payer.

RonMexico wrote: »

Dole cheats are thieves. End of story. If we are to tackle this kind of behaviour in our country there is no point ignoring it because you feel the government are worse. That is beyond stupid. Fraud, be it at Government level, or dole cheats, is fraud and the message should be that it is unacceptable at ANY LEVEL.

Thats fighting talk, something that Irish are very good at.... unfortunately it always stays as talk.

I pay my taxes. Its the Governments job to use them for the good of the community. Its the governments job to monitor social welfare. God knows I pay enough for that, I'm not prepared to lower myself to a position of unpaid government informer because this countries officials have squadered the taxes and can't impliment any system correctly. This is Ireland 2010 FFS, not soviet Russia.

Don't fool yourself. Snitching does not make you a patriot. You wanna save money and pay less tax, you'd be better off talking to the streets like the TENS ( sadly you can't even add hundreds to that number) of people in this country that have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I would like to report it as it is annoying knowing the tax i pay is going to those cheating the system, and when we needed it we were denied!

BUT i do realise it is none of my business what anybody else does so therefore no!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

retarded poll

That may be an illiogical stance, but it wasn't my stance. Its something that you have made up. My point was that Irish people in general are not known for protesting against the Government. We're hardly France now are we. The Greeks even highlighted this with their banners " we're not Irish, we're Greeks, we'll fight back." It annoys me that so many people are not willing to fight the real fight. They are cowards and are only prepared to take action when a) its not against a powerful person and B) when they can be anonymous.

Right. How on Earth does that justify stealing the dole though.
    Again thats not my point. My point is why should we report one thief to an even bigger thief?? Hey lets report joe Bloggs to somebody like Ivor Callely. How stupid is that.
    Do you think that's what people do when they want to report someone for stealing the dole, they ring Ivor Callely? Most of the people who comprise the public sector, like the people who actually work in the social welfare office and coordinate dole payments, are not thieves. Similarly, the people who pay the taxes that fund the dole, most of them aren't thieves either.
    People like you can pretend yout doing "civic duty" by being a good little citizen and snitching on your neigbours (anonymously). Wow how brave and righteous of you. If you really cared about this country you'd be out protesting outside the dail. I was at one such protest and guess what.... 20 people showed up.
    Silly emotive language.
    Whats the point in reporting someone for stealing water if the water will just be put back into a bucket with a hole in it? There's no point.
    Similarly, what's the point in fixing the hole if someone's going to steal all the water anyway. Just because the guy stealing the water isn't one of those big evil baddies you read about in the papers doesn't mean it's not a problem.
    The bucket needs to be fixed first. This country is bad enough without the people turning into cowardly snitches. I'm saying that as a tax payer.
    Why do you pay taxes at all, sure do you not know it's only funding Ivor Callely's gold-plated spaceship. Can you not find some way to evade tax, and claim the dole at the same time? There's a hole in the bucket so why are you putting water in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No, because the dole cheats i know are not the type you snitch on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

fryup wrote: »
    No, because the dole cheats i know are not the type you snitch on

"Dole cheat" is very broad.

On one side you have the lad thats never worked a day in his life yet does day a week cash jobs

on the other you have a guy worked for years, paid his taxed, lost his job, has a family to feed and does a day here and there where he can get

In my opinion, they're not the same person

Advertisement