Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating animals to Europe

Options
  • 11-09-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Ok just a quick question:

If a family is moving to Europe & not planning to come back. The family has a lot of pets & can not afford to pay for pet passports. All they intend to do is vaccinate the animals against rabies etc when they arrive at their destination.

The family has absolutely no plans to come back here or the UK ever! So can they ignore the pet passport? They have quiet a few pets & the cost would be astronomical!

Can anyone help? Serious advice only guys & idiots & chancers will be be banned! This is a serious question & I want real answers not stupid crap - & no questions please about WHY ARE THEY LEAVING - or re-home them will really annoy me & I am polishing my ban hammer NOW!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

They don't need pet passports at all as Ireland is a rabies free country. They can get into any country they want but they need the pet passport if they want to return to Ireland. There question answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why is it all the ferries companies insist on the pet passport? Also they charge serious amounts of money for the privilege of allowing them to stay inside your vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You dont need a full pet passport leaving Ireland and not returning.Just a Health Certificate as we are a "rabies favourable country" according to the rules. This link here has good info and the downloadable Health Cert is here

Health Cert pdf Attachment not found. Although from that it seems to still require Microchipping, proof of rabies vaccination and flea/tick treatment, which is pretty similar. Id contact the Dept of Ag tbh for full confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Ok just to clarify for all members:

I have just had my thread reported! AS I supposidly consider my thread to be more imortant than others.

Please do not waste my time - or I will get nasty!

I will thank all the members that have offered very good advice.

& just for the record I am a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Suppose they didn't understand sarcasm. Keep your hammer polished. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Having started work in vetrinary practice 2 weeks ago (bear that in mind:rolleyes:) I have so far encountered a dog going to Israel and not comming back a one going to Australia and not comming back. Both needed full passports with numerous blood tests carried out (including amongst other things rabies and lepto). It depends on the rules of the particular country they are going to more so than whether or not they are comming back. I am not aware of blanket laws covering all of Europe but if there is it would be the only thing of this sort that had a blanket law. (I have studied EU and English law at post-grad level) Pet Passports are a very complicated area of law and it is always changing (according to the senior small animal vet at work) I would definately seek advice on this from a very reputable vetrinary practice that is knowledgeable about this. You may have to find information from the particular country they are travelling to, which may well be in a foreign language :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Fayesy - It may help if you are able to say which country they are moving to or at least if it is within the EC member states, some countries only have a part/conditional membership and mostly the member states make their own laws regardless of EU law (Ireland in particular, but that's neither here nor there!)

Advertisement