Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Number of Posts per Page - beyond 40

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Just a minor request - would it be possible to increase the number of posts per page, giving options larger than 40.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Been discussed and dismissed several times unfortunately.

I thing the reasoning is due to the way that boards loads and indexes pages and the impact it would have on server load, or something like that anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

no probs. I did a quick search before posting the question, but didnt find it posted previously. never to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think another issue is with Sigs and that if there were say; 100 posts per page, that would mean there could be a hundred sigs and so some users would have to wait an age for some pages to load, particularly in places like the Gaming forums.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Try this if you're using Firefox. You might have to manually add a rule for boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try this if you're using Firefox. You might have to manually add a rule for boards.ie.
    That is just fecking genius, my surfing time has been increased by 20%.

Whoever "Patryk" is that created the rule for boards.ie, I salute you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

My god, that's brilliant, thanks!

That's mad :p

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Brilliant stuff that. i just went along with Patryk's edition of the plugin & all seems well. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I think another issue is with Sigs and that if there were say; 100 posts per page, that would mean there could be a hundred sigs and so some users would have to wait an age for some pages to load, particularly in places like the Gaming forums.

Then go to your cp and turn sigs off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Then go to your cp and turn sigs off.

I don't have an issue with Sigs being too bandwidth intensive, quite the opposite in fact, I was the one who asked for the KB limit to be increased on the Sig chnages thread:
    The only issue I have with the Sigs, is the KB limit.

20kb is just too little.

I have no problem with the 125x500 dimension rule, more than enough but the skimpy 20kb is paltry.

I have made a few Sigs for users on request and it is the number one stumbling block.

Not looking for animations or anything but would be no harm to bump the KB limit to a more reasonable amount, like say 100kb.

We did get an increase in the end, from 20kb to 30kb, but one of the main reasons given at the time by Admin, on why it was not increased further, was because even with just 40 posts per page, the bandwidth would become an issue for some.

So obviously, if it is an issue at just 40 posts, then it would be certiantly be an issue if that was increased to 100.

Telling any users to switch of their Sigs if it is a problem for them, kinda misses the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This is the best invention since boards!!!!

seamus wrote: »
    That is just fecking genius, my surfing time has been increased by 20%.

Whoever "Patryk" is that created the rule for boards.ie, I salute you.

Where can I find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Where can I find that?

Hi Thaed

Here you go. Rule No. 23. Just click on the download button.

Also what worked for me was right clickiing on the AP icon (beside the ULR bar on my Firefox) and chosing "Options" and then "Discover matched rules online" from the options sub menu. Then reload a Boards.ie page and a bar appears at teh top of the page asking if you wish to use the vbulletin rule from patryk, to whic you just click yes.

M

Thank you got it up and running, it's the little things which makes life easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The users with slower internet capacity don't have to use the 80/100 posts per page option so that doesn't really stand as a reason. There are thousands of users out there that don't know any more than the default 20 per page, so making it possible doesn't have to have a detrimental effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quazzie wrote: »
    The users with slower internet capacity don't have to use the 80/100 posts per page option so that doesn't really stand as a reason. There are thousands of users out there that don't know any more than the default 20 per page, so making it possible doesn't have to have a detrimental effect.
    It's a database issue more than anything else. The database is much quicker to return the first 40 results than the first 100. The page won't take much longer to render at all; it's 60 more times through the loop, microseconds in the difference. For your average database server, one user won't notice the difference, but turn that into hundreds of requests per second and you'll see the whole thing grind to a halt.

This is particularly true of databases which are heavy on writing, which boards's database would be.

Native dynamic loading might be an option - emulate the way that the firefox extension works, by coding it into boards. A bit like twitter or facebook, when you get to the end of the page, you click "Show the next 40 posts", and it loads them inline instead of going to the hassle of reloading all of the images and CSS and associated paraphenalia. That should have some positive effect on overall data throughput too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

thats a great FF app!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only problem with it is if you want to click a link at the bottom of the page. You have to turn it off first. Other than that, it is great when you get several pages behind in a big thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is bigger than something big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have that for a good while and have to say I'd be lost without it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

It flows so flawlessly too only realised last night i had read 6 pages of a thread without even noticing that there were breaks, get really into threads i find, before i'd click next look at another tab and forget what was going on by the time i had gone back

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here go give your PCs RAM a go for its money:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316566

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

God no! My laptop dies when I try go in to the GIF's thread in Vids & Links!

Advertisement