Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well Atheism is a set of beliefs (or non-beliefs) and practices (evangelising - for some), which ironically fits a definition of religion.

What? You're just making that up!

You still haven't answered me, what belief is it which makes me religious? Come on now! How many times do i need to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's what the thread is about no?

I was hoping it was going to be "All atheists are arseholes" and then I'd get a chance to stick my oar in.

I'm disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Well Atheism is a set of beliefs (or non-beliefs) and practices (evangelising - for some), which ironically fits a definition of religion.

No, atheism is one thing & one thing alone - lacking a belief in a god...secularists, anti-theists, etc, may share a common goal but you cannot claim anything applies to all atheists bar lacking belief in a god/s....unless you are about to announce your religion in the loch ness monster and unicorns, that is? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

What? You're just making that up!

You still haven't answered me, what belief is it which makes me religious? Come on now!

Read it carefully, I never said you were "religious". Do you disagree that Atheism is the belief in the non-existance of a God?

Conveniently you haven't answered me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Do you disagree that Atheism is the belief in the non-existance of a God?

Don't answer! It's a trap!

• Advertisement

Read it carefully, I never said you were "religious". Do you disagree that Atheism is the belief in the non-existance of a God?

Do you believe in the non-existence of unicorns? Or do you just lack belief that they exist at all. I don't think belief in the non-existence of something is even linguistically possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.
    Welcome to the Atheists of AH. They'll belittle your religion at any opportunity.

Atheism is not a belief in the non-existance of God, no! It is the non-belief, or rejection of belief, of God! You were the one who said Atheism is a religion and qualified it by saying a Religion is when there are practices and beliefs.

So far you have not been able to tell me what it is i'm supposed to believe!

I will happily entertain your question when you have answered mine.

Was that the answer? You think the belief is a belief in non-belief?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

oppenheimer I think you should call it a night, anyone reading this thread now can see your just on a losing run here with this latest line of thought you have. Theists, athiests, stamp collecters whatever, we can all see that calling athiesm a religion is ...well...just plain wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cliff notes?

• Advertisement

Welcome to AH. They'll belittle your anything at any opportunity.

Fixed that for ya.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    oppenheimer I think you should call it a night, anyone reading this thread now can see your just on a losing run here with this latest line of thought you have. Theists, athiests, stamp collecters whatever, we can all see that calling athiesm a religion is ...well...just plain wrong!

When you go out of your way to twist words and invent an argument, you're gonna need a bit of substance to back it up.

Although, isnt it funny that all of the Ahtiests in the thread have been able to back up any claims that they make, yet the ones who can't are the Creationsists? I wonder is that an inherent thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm utterly anti-religion,but I do think athiests who constantly talk about their beliefs are almost as bad as extreme christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Sorry folks! I didn't realise that this thread was adolescent.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Perhaps god did create earth, he just decided to f*ck off and go look after some of his other planets?

the Catholic Church has absolutely NO effect on my life as an Irishman
    kids can't go to school
    i'd really like to believe
    you refuse to engage in conversation

Rob you made loads of crazy comments you cant back up, look at post 267!!!

Crazy!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.

the irony of these militant atheists becoming the opposite extreme of the religious loonies seems to be lost on them

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Rob you made loads of crazy comments you cant back up, look at post 267!!!

Crazy!!! :pac:

Notice how i didn't say "My kids can't go to school" because of religion.

My kids can't go to school because i don't give their mothers any money to cloth them :P

aDeener wrote: »
    the irony of these militant atheists becoming the opposite extreme of the religious loonies seems to be lost on them

Yeah, those religious loonies flying planes into buildings and bombing abortion clinics - and those militant atheists - writing books and posting on the internet...ehhhhh.... :confused:

If people are so sure there is a god and their views are rational and plausible, why would anything atheists say be upsetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Eh, i am an atheist. (not many people know because whether i am atheist or your religious, i dont give a sh1t!)

• Advertisement

Im just happy we all live in a society were we can believe what we want. Can't say that for every country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

I do have to say most atheists I have come across including my own brother tend to look down there nose at me as if they know something I dont, when in fact neither of us know anything for sure.

Yeah, those religious loonies flying planes into buildings and bombing abortion clinics - and those militant atheists - writing books and posting on the internet...ehhhhh.... :confused:

If people are so sure there is a god and their views are rational and plausible, why would anything atheists say be upsetting?
    Religion is not the only thing which causes conflict. Im positive if the world didn't have religion, there would be fighting over land, money and so on. Its just there is more people on the planet who believe in god than Atheists and thus more radical eejits.

However, you could get radical Atheists who would be willing to kill for political reasons and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

KILL THIS THREAD WITH FIRE

Before it becomes THIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry folks! I didn't realise that this thread was adolescent.

You're in AH, what did you think was going to happen? Go over to the atheism forum if you want self-righteous logical debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I am an atheist but I would not say I talk a lot about it. I don't tend to talk about my religious beliefs or lack thereof because I don't think it is relevant to daily life. What irritates me is when people stop me on the street or knock on my door to tell me that by not believing in an invisible man in the sky I am doomed to eternal suffering.

I don't go around telling religious people that they don't believe in the things I do and that it makes them an inherently bad person. Why should it matter to you if I believe in God or unicorns or the flying spaghetti monster? I don't care if you believe in God, Fairies or anything else just so long as your beliefs aren't doing harm to others.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Religion is not the only thing which causes conflict. Im positive if the world didn't have religion, there would be fighting over land, money and so on. Its just there is more people on the planet who believe in god than Atheists and thus more radical eejits.

However, you could get radical Atheists who would be willing to kill for political reasons and so on.

If you find any, do link them to me...until then I'll just have to laugh at the hysterical "militant atheist" label.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Atheism is not a belief in the non-existance of God, no! It is the non-belief, or rejection of belief, of God! You were the one who said Atheism is a religion and qualified it by saying a Religion is when there are practices and beliefs.

So far you have not been able to tell me what it is i'm supposed to believe!

I will happily entertain your question when you have answered mine.

Was that the answer? You think the belief is a belief in non-belief?

Maybe I should have spelled it out for you as evangelical atheism, but I mistakenly thought you were intelligent to interpret it as that. I also said some Atheists not all. I will accept that there are other definitions of Atheism as provided by yourself but mine is also valid: dictionary.com

a·the·ism
    [ey-thee-iz-uhm]
    –noun
    the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

Now can you answer my question?

Advertisement