Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from MMA forum/Problems with Moderation

Options
  • 16-10-2010 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I haven’t had a chance to appeal this as I’ve been too busy to. A couple of months ago I was banned from the MMA forum at the request of an Beruthiel citing “form” from other forums :
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056005043

A fair amount of my case is already stated in the above link as is the circumstances of my ban if you can read it I would appreciate it.
    The events leading up to this is a long series of events, essentially it began in a thread in the UFC 116 event where one of the MMA mods who has a track record of blind hate for a particular fighter Brock Lesnar due to what I can only surmise due to him despising/not understanding his former profession of Pro Wrestling. After the fight he claimed the fight was fixed despite no real proof despite requests by other posters nor did he retract the statement. In addition to that he allowed a troll poster to break the charter when it came to insulting fighter, alleging the fight was fixed etc as they fitted cowzerp viewpoint giving a number of “final chances”.

I would report said poster for breaking the rules only to be met with messages to the effect saying that the only reason I was only reporting those comments as a loved Brock Lesnar. It was a negative experience for a lot of people including those posters in the Pro Wrestling who are hardly fans of mine taking my side and saying they felt uncomfortable posting there as a result, you can check out #7303:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67549133

In this instance I tried to discuss it with cowzerp and got nowhere. This would start a routine of me trying to contact the Catmods of cowzerp’s modding only never to get an actual reply saying that they were dealing or had dealt with it instead they fobbed me off saying they were busy or away that week.

Another thread was made in which another moderator was made in which he strongly insulted a large number of posters on that forum who don’t go to Irish MMA. I reasonably debunked a lot of what that poster said only to be called a “geek” despite the vast majority of the posters congratulating me on how well I came across and how poorly he did. The mods also let another poster to call those whose who werent "real fans" scum. Again I reported this to the Catmods and got nothing back. Although the thread got deleted when a lurker complained about the standard of moderation in that thread.

I never had any problems that I recall with posters it has only been with the mods and the numerous ignorant or offensive things they have said. I do believe I was well liked on that forum due to the PMs and comments I got in threads about me being helpful and knowledgeable. To the degree it seemed to annoy the mods as I guess I made their views look foolish at times hence the geek comment.

I won’t deny accusations that I backseat modded but it was primarily out of frustration due not being able to report posts of Mods to Mods and not being able to get any reply from the Catmods.

I would like a second chance to post on the MMA forum and like one of Pro Wrestling posters said the forum does need some balance as MMA isn’t a pure sport it is Sports Entertainment like Pro Wrestling is and both share a lot of the same history. As the current mod team seems to be more weighted towards practitioners and promoters rather than fans who know the history of the sport. Despite numerous historical books, online articles and indeed threads of the shared history you still have mods on there today spewing ridiculous comments like this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056062689

Even though for example the first ten UFC Champions have done Pro Wrestling, the current Heavyweight champion was a former Pro Wrester and MMA promotions in Japan billing themselves as Pro Wrestling just for example.

Please let be stated that this is a truncated version of what happened as it all spanned a number of months if I left out anything it was not an attempt to deceive rather it was to stop it from being tl;dr as it is fairly involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

A reminder before this proceeds.

It was an Admin decision to permaban you from that Forum.
    It was made crystal clear in the Prison thread why this action was taken, so I see no point in dragging up those reasons again here.

Quite frankly, I see no reason to lift this ban at this point. The only way I would even consider lifting it would be if the Mods/Cmods in question requested it. That is not to say it cannot be lifted at a later date, but that would be heavily influenced by how you conduct yourself on the rest of the site from here on. Comments like "Despite numerous historical books, online articles and indeed threads of the shared history you still have mods on there today spewing ridiculous comments like this" do not help to convince me that you understand our position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Asiaprod wrote: »
    A reminder before this proceeds.

It was an Admin decision to permaban you from that Forum.
    It was made crystal clear in the Prison thread why this action was taken, so I see no point in dragging up those reasons again here.

Quite frankly, I see no reason to lift this ban at this point. The only way I would even consider lifting it would be if the Mods/Cmods in question requested it. That is not to say it cannot be lifted at a later date, but that would be heavily influenced by how you conduct yourself on the rest of the site from here on.

Sorry but the logic of my banning isn’t crystal clear to me. Look at the comments in the second link I gave you above. I conducted myself in the MMA in a respectful manner to other posters and I never trolled. I do not know how to convey this to you to sufficient degree but the only issues ever stemmed from ignorant or offensive things the mods said and my attempts to debunk them with logic and fact what they are saying. It just all seems like an excuse to me to ban me from the MMA forum. Which is a shame as due to posters it is one of better and more level headed MMA forums on the internet.

I can give you threads all day of really poor behaviour by the mods. Time after time I tried to deal with the situation as per the guidelines as it relates to disputes directing complaints to mods (who wouldn’t deal with me) and catmods (who always seemed to put me on the long finger without seemingly manage to improve the situation on the forum) only getting nowhere for months on end. I can supply numerous PM detailing this. I really, really tried getting this resolved in a mature way.
    Asiaprod wrote: »
    Comments like "Despite numerous historical books, online articles and indeed threads of the shared history you still have mods on there today spewing ridiculous comments like this" do not help to convince me that you understand our position.

I DO understand your position. I dont know how I can explain the problems with moderation without being critical of mods. Numerous times I have said that I think cowzerp handles the Irish scene well.

I’m just illustrating that logic and factual discussion that doesn’t fit into some of mods conception of the sport. I’ve never seen a group of mods conduct themselves this way. Look at the second link I posted people have genuinely give up on that forum as a result of it I’m not making this up mate.

I might be hurting my argument my arguing two separate points (ie my banning and the problems with the standard of moderation) here but they both overlap. If there was more balance on that forum things would have never gotten were with the forum and myself. My intention is not to disrespectful here but when you have people even myself offering historical example/influence/overlap between the Pro Wrestling and MMA for page after page only for the mod that it is directed to lock the thread with a snarky response that somehow claims victory despite displaying any form of real counter argument to the main points you have to put up your hands:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516015

This an 18 month old thread and the same mod is still making ignorant comments seemingly without taking any of what has been said in the past into consideration or the sensitivities/preferences into consideration. When you’ve a mod permitting the word scum being direct towards a group of posters on the board you’ve a problem.

I’ve offered apologies for prior behaviour on boards in the past numerous times but it seems that it is viewed as a demerit on here that absolves the other party of wrong doing. I really don’t know what to do here as it seems no matter how I conduct myself elsewhere I’ll never be allowed back on here due to grudges built up by the mods there in part because of making threads like this one. I’ve done so much footwork here in terms of establishing a case but I've gotten zero movement from anyone at boards on this after numerous months. Outside of a number of fellow posters I’ve yet to hear anyone on boards say there is or was a problem with how the mods conducted themselves something which boggles my mind. Im really reaching out here, what more do I need to display?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Many have held dialogue with you over bans. infractions, etc. I am not going back down that road. The ban stands as is.

However, to be fair, I will look into the moderator issue you pointed out above. If there is an issue, I will reopen this thread and PM you to join.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement