Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Very true, it would be an absolute nightmare and back to 2 lanes while they would carry out works.

4 lanes it should have been but space just isn't there, stilts are definitely an option but I could never ever see it happening.

Why not 5?

Most people haven’t a notion the auxiliary lanes are there anyway. Getting those used correctly as part of any education campaign in July would help massively too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why not 5?

Eh space.

Originally it should have been 4 lanes, this all could have been planned properly.

Eh space.

Originally it should have been 4 lanes, this all could have been planned properly.

Why 4 though? What's your logic?

Why 4 though? What's your logic?

Because 2 wasn't enough when it was built, it definitely should have been 3 and space for 4.
    That ain't ever going to happen, sure it's been built up too in many places.

• Advertisement

Because 2 wasn't enough when it was built, it definitely should have been 3 and space for 4.
    That ain't ever going to happen, sure it's been but up too in many places.

2 wasn't enough, so we built a third. But that's not enough, so let's build a fourth. But hang on a second, why not a fifth...

All the while the traffic gets worse as you make more space for more traffic... What was supposed to be a bypass is now used, as you suggested earlier, by local traffic who are apparently being inconvenienced by schemes designed to encourage people to get around traffic and actually reduce it.

Back on topic, is this across the full length (M1 to M11)?

2 wasn't enough, so we built a third. But that's not enough, so let's build a fourth. But hang on a second, why not a fifth...

All the while the traffic gets worse as you make more space for more traffic... What was supposed to be a bypass is now used, as you suggested earlier, by local traffic who are apparently being inconvenienced by schemes designed to encourage people to get around traffic and actually reduce it.

Back on topic, is this across the full length (M1 to M11)?

Yes end to end pretty much.

I was wondering when I seen these new solar and wind turbine units fitted, these obviously have something to do with it and the new measure units fitted in the road surfaces which they then resurfaced after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's to actually slow traffic down so in theory it will ease the amount of traffic at the exits at any given time, longer takes to get there the plan is less sitting waiting for light changes....

I can only see more use the M50 from now on with the absolute shambles of any roads in Dublin with all these new kerbs, poles, one way systems, cycle lanes etc.....

It's really going to be a pain trying to commute when it goes back to normal.

Hopefully it's enough of a pain that people will get the fupp out of their car.

arccosh wrote: »
    I wonder if the hard shoulder is on the chopping block next, like they are on UK roads
    That would be insane.
    Thankfully it isn't on the chopping block.

Hopefully it's enough of a pain that people will get the fupp out of their car.

And do what.
    Our transportation system is a joke.

Walking and cycling isn't for everyone.

Sure these scooters are also a danger, users can't indicate to show where they intend to turn.

Road space gone, speed limits set to 30 etc etc....

• Advertisement

And do what.
    Our transportation system is a joke.

Walking and cycling isn't for everyone.

Sure these scooters are also a danger, users can't indicate to show where they intend to turn.

Road space gone, speed limits set to 30 etc etc....

It sure is.

And that reduced road space should not be used by cars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I watched back the committee meeting and Peter Walsh of TII said that all lane running is not under consideration. Hard shoulder remaining as

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    I watched back the committee meeting and Peter Walsh of TII said that all lane running is not under consideration. Hard shoulder remaining as

The busiest sections don't have continuous hard shoulders and they're on the inside of the inter-junction lanes so it'd basically be impossible anyway. As well as lethally dangerous.

I actually can't understand how people don't follow other countries and get mopeds or motorbikes for city commuting.

Miss them when I was in Dublin, flew through traffic

• I actually can't understand how people don't follow other countries and get mopeds or motorbikes for city commuting.

It's more the other way round, people mostly started on two wheels then progressed to four.
    few go back to mopeds after cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I actually can't understand how people don't follow other countries and get mopeds or motorbikes for city commuting.

Do you know how hard & expensive it is to have a moped or motorbike in Ireland?

Lessons/licencing rules/test/Insurance/weather etc
    System is against 2 wheel ownership & actively discourages it.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Do you know how hard & expensive it is to have a moped or motorbike in Ireland?

Lessons/licencing rules/test/Insurance/weather etc
    System is against 2 wheel ownership & actively discourages it.
    Of course I do. Have a full licence myself.

I couldn't sit in 2 hour traffic unless I'm in work which doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Of course I do. Have a full licence myself.

I couldn't sit in 2 hour traffic unless I'm in work which doesn't bother me.

Fair enough, I was thinking of the people that don't have a licence & are starting from scratch getting on the road.....alot easier get into a car than on a bike here. (Think we only have 3 insurance companies now)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Fair enough, I was thinking of the people that don't have a licence & are starting from scratch getting on the road.....alot easier get into a car than on a bike here. (Think we only have 3 insurance companies now)

It's not really, new car drivers need 12hours lessons Vs 16 I think for IBT on the bike. It only really seems a lot of effort if you already have a car license.

• Back in the day, the moped licence was also given when you passed the car driving test, I have one but I believe they dropped it many years ago.

• Advertisement

M50 is in a jock going onto M11 at Bray.... Poxy bank holiday weekend Garda checkpoint is back in action....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Wonderful news. This will weed out those who can't obey simple rules.

Most HGV drivers are serial breakers of speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

That's a bit of an unfair generalisation; a lot of them are, then again, so are a lot of car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭prunudo

And most cyclists break red lights, bmw drivers don't use indicators, white van drivers tailgate etc etc.
    Trucks can do 90kph on motorways, unusual to see them doing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

prunudo wrote: »
    And most cyclists break red lights, bmw drivers don't use indicators, white van drivers tailgate etc etc.

While there's bound to be a couple of cowboys, I think the best drivers on the road are behind the wheel of a truck or bus/coach.

prunudo wrote: »

There's nothing to stop them driving at 90 km/h in a 80 or 60 zone and they frequently do.

While there's bound to be a couple of cowboys, I think the best drivers on the road are behind the wheel of a truck or bus/coach.

So why do the majority break the speed limit? I am frequently overtaken by HGVs even when I drive precisely at the limit, as to exceed the limit could have fatal consequences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep to he M50 please. We are all above average drivers.

• M5 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I have often thought that the overhead gantries are underused.
    For instance: " Slow Down Now. Congestion Ahead. Don't add to it!"
    I think people need to be convinced about the need for certain controls before they'll comply. Complying doesn't imply "sheep" or whatever the mot du jour is on the internet, it means contributing to the efficiency of the motorway - not to mention actually benefitting from it.

I know... its a pipe dream. Hence the need for the speed cameras.

Advertisement