Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Despite all the crap, this is still a beautiful country

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

This is a great photo of Ireland as seen from the International Space Station, taken March 2010 by ace space photographer Soichi Noguchi.
    77828529.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1290851350&Signature=%2BNE9W2XW6K0KtDkvpKKw6XOpqKA%3D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

just looked through a load of those photos and couldnt see anything about Ireland. So unless you are posting from Japan I cant see "this country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I included the link to his photo on Twitpic, so don't know what happened. :confused:

Here's the photo itself:

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Really nice!! It's lovely, but wouldnt it be great if just for once, there were no clouds!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Nice pic, but "ace space photographer"????
    Gimme a break.
    1. Point camera downwards.
    2. Click.
    3. Post on internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Class picture but I don't get what's so inherently beautiful about Ireland from space. Is it the shape or what? Most temperate land masses would look the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

THIS is a good picture of Ireland at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

which one of those little islands did charlie haughey buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Heres a nice one too of the west of ireland taken from I S S not sure how the moon got in there also though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I included the link to his photo on Twitpic, so don't know what happened. :confused:

Here's the photo itself:

Attachment not found.

Cool I can see my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It a very flat country which makes it a little boring too...
    I'ld prefer if there were more mountains. Higher mountains. Also would be nice if there were more forests and not just bogs and fields...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Also would be nice if there were more forests and not just bogs and fields...

Most of our forests are in Britain in the form of Georgian doors and window frames.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It a very flat country which makes it a little boring too...
    I'ld prefer if there were more mountains. Higher mountains. Also would be nice if there were more forests and not just bogs and fields...

Before the Ice Age, Ireland might have had mountain ranges on par with those found in Scandinavia, but the huge ice sheet covering most (I think the entire country at one point) would have just ground them down. Also, Ireland was once covered in forest, but man cut them all down. Some of the bogs found in Ireland are also man-made, they came about from us cutting down forests to farm on the land, but the land becoming swamped with water and just turning into bog if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Augmerson wrote: »
    Before the Ice Age, Ireland might have had mountain ranges on par with those found in Scandinavia, but the huge ice sheet covering most (I think the entire country at one point) would have just ground them down. Also, Ireland was once covered in forest, but man cut them all down. Some of the bogs found in Ireland are also man-made, they came about from us cutting down forests to farm on the land, but the land becoming swamped with water and just turning into bog if I remember rightly.

Yup remember studying that in Geography in school.

Its pretty annoying why you'ld cut down all the forests so that you'ld just left with bogs. The government should plant more trees so that Ireland can get its forests back. There needs to be reforestation projects. Its gonna be better for the environment, better for the wildlife and also would be better for recreational purposes. Like who'ld want to go camping on a bog?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I fixed the original pic to be more contemporary,

143931.jpg

Advertisement