Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crackling line, missing dialtone

Options
  • 29-12-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi guys,

Have just signed up for eircom in the Sandycove area. At the start the modem was refusing to sync, called support, and the speed was then set to approx 2mb. This allowed some degree of syncing however the connection has been incredibly unstable, and since 9pm last night was not connecting at all. Modem is directly connected to wall socket.

AFAIK we are well within 5kms of the Dun Laoghaire exchange.

When talking to the CSR they were offering to send an engineer out to take a look - however basically the CSR said that there's no notice of this - and it would be anytime within 2-3 days and if I was lucky I would get a phone call beforehand. Is that actually accurate? Because there's no way anyone in the house can be off work for that length of time on the promise of a potential engineer visit.

Back to the line - managed to get an old analog phone, was checking the sockets - sounded crackly, and then at other times could not even get a dialtone. Assuming that, I suppose a fault could be lodged?

Was told by the CSR previously that if the engineer came out and found no fault with their equipment it would be a 150 Euro call-out charge. We're living in an apartment and the wiring is probably the same since the 70s. In this situation, who would be liable? Would calling an engineer out just say its the building's problem, that's 150 squids please? I.e. at which point does the equipment change from eircom to the householders problem?

As an FYI - when the line was up, these were the stats I was getting last:

set to adsl_g.lite
    speed 1920 / 96
    line attn: 54/31
    noise margin: 6/6

Any help/advise greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

lpw wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Have just signed up for eircom in the Sandycove area. At the start the modem was refusing to sync, called support, and the speed was then set to approx 2mb. This allowed some degree of syncing however the connection has been incredibly unstable, and since 9pm last night was not connecting at all. Modem is directly connected to wall socket.

When talking to the CSR they were offering to send an engineer out to take a look - however basically the CSR said that there's no notice of this - and it would be anytime within 2-3 days and if I was lucky I would get a phone call beforehand. Is that actually accurate? Because there's no way anyone in the house can be off work for that length of time on the promise of a potential engineer visit.

Back to the line - managed to get an old analog phone, was checking the sockets - sounded crackly, and then at other times could not even get a dialtone. Assuming that, I suppose a fault could be lodged?

Was told by the CSR previously that if the engineer came out and found no fault with their equipment it would be a 150 Euro call-out charge. We're living in an apartment and the wiring is probably the same since the 70s. In this situation, who would be liable? Would calling an engineer out just say its the building's problem, that's 150 squids please? I.e. at which point does the equipment change from eircom to the householders problem?

set to adsl_g.lite
    speed 1920 / 96

Can you send me a Private Message with your eircom account number and your landline number and I will look into this for you today
    Thank You
    Eleanor

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

Wow, thanks for the very quick reply! Much appreciated.

PM sent.

Thanks again!

Hi guys,

set to adsl_g.lite
    speed 1920 / 96

Just speaking to Support now for you, will come back to you shortly.

Hi guys,

set to adsl_g.lite
    speed 1920 / 96

Hello
    Confirmed apointment for tomorrow morning 9-1pm
    Thanks
    Eleanor

Advertisement